• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Monster COD thread (homage to the C-2A Greyhound)

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
What, are they gonna shoot it with the wings folded?!? Something tells me that wouldn't turn out so good... ;)

No (although that would indeed be bad)... I just think that green shirt could get... umm... splattered on the taxi.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
How are the tail codes assigned to CODs? Does the "RW" in the above pic correspond to North Island?

Not North Island, but it is unique to VRC-30. That's right, we get our own tail code.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Here's some more COD lovin'....

CIMG0203.jpg

CIMG0207.jpg

So easy even an 8 year old can fly it:
CIMG0247.jpg

Here's on in flight in the gulf:
63db7962.jpg

One flying to the CVN from Bahrain.

Nose

pilot
Schnugg - I didn't know that wings "Articulated." You must have received a pretty big score on your SATs!

Capt Morgan, to answer your question, there are two levers. One is a small "wingfold" lever that switches hydraulic valves. Once the wings are spread, the "wing lock" lever folds over the wingfold lever and pushes (hydraulically) four big cylinders into slots in the wings to hold them in place. Bunk is correct about the placement. In the first cockpit pic, it is just to the right of the park/emer brake. In the second pic, you can see the wingfold lever hiding behind the wing lock lever.

If you look at the way the wings spread, they come forward and then up, so if they come unlocked in flight they will still be held in place aerodynamically.

Nose

Schnugg

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Schnugg - I didn't know that wings "Articulated." You must have received a pretty big score on your SATs!

I'll take that as a complement...I think. :)

Same as the main gear on the F-14. The wing on a hornet folds...the wing on a C-2 articulates.

You got to dig deep and use it as an adjective not a verb.

articulate
(adj.)- consisting of segments held together by joints :sleep_125:sleep_125:sleep_125

Then again I was an engineering major. ;)

Nose

pilot
Schnugg - I was a NAVCAD (Top 1% of all college dropouts) so I appreciate the explanation!

Nose

Schnugg

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This is going to end up a like a comedy sketch from "In Living Color"...

"The renticulation of the prefabrication leads to minor deformation of the lumbar unification in most middle age males...." :confused::confused::confused:

:)

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
That really is an awesome pic. I like those clear, intense type pics where there's a lot going on.

Nose

pilot
That really is an awesome pic. I like those clear, intense type pics where there's a lot going on.

Funny, because it looks to me like not much is going on. Bunch of guys (some in funny hats) waiting for the green light to launch.

Nose

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Alright, maybe it's just taxing out or getting setup. Either way, there's a lot of people on the deck and the engines are running and it at least looks like there's a lot taking place.

FLY_USMC

pilot
Just curious if XJ220 stands for those awesome Wal-Mart brand tennis shoes kids used to wear when I was in the 3rd grade, or if it's something else.