• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The road to Austin goes through Beeville, Santa Gertrudis cows, and my new revolvers

Fred

They had just put in brand new runways, and spent an incredible amount of money to update the BOQ, O'Club, etc., about two years before it closed. During that time the first President Bush used to fly in to Chase Field to go quail hunting in Goliad. We were there from 87-90. We never lived in Kingsville, but Beeville was my least favorite duty station.

MasterBates

Having been to both, but not being stationed (yet) at either, I would prefer Beeville.

NASK has 3 things for facitilites. Hangars, BOQ/BEQ, and a NEX. THat is not open on the weekend.

Kingsville, while not horrible, is not a happening place either. I would prefer to be up in the hills near Beeville than Krock, but that is just me.

Either way, its a moot point, and I will be in Krock soon.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
They had just put in brand new runways, and spent an incredible amount of money to update the BOQ, O'Club, etc., about two years before it closed. During that time the first President Bush used to fly in to Chase Field to go quail hunting in Goliad. We were there from 87-90. We never lived in Kingsville, but Beeville was my least favorite duty station.

They did the same thing to NAS Barber's just before they closed it ... pumped max $$$$ into it .... and mort. Thanks, taxpayers ... :) ......but:

Don't like Beeville??? It's all what you make of it. Trust me -- it's better than many duty stations; Kingsville is one --- but I didn't believe it until I got banished there. I fought tooth and nail to NOT go there --- detailer said "fvck you" .... and I came out on the short end of a VA-128 political intrigue that cost me "my" promised RAG LSO seat that I extended for a 3rd cruise to get ... but as it turned out, NAS Chase was the BEST 1 1/2 years I spent on active duty.

And in the end ... ??? The detailer got fired (same one) ... and I got orders back to the old Air Wing as senior CAG LSO --- but unfortunately for the Navy (I like to think :)), I had also gotten pissed 1 1/2 years prior, got a whole bunch of flight hours, got my MA, got my ATP, got my FE ticket, and got my car headed out the main gate --- permanente ... for good.

And ... got hired by the airlines.

Can't look back ... go with the hand you're dealt. Everything will work out in the end ....

Believe it. ;)

Coota0

None
Took a ride out to what used to be NAS Beeville.

Is it stilll a prison?

We used to live in Beeville when I was very young (1.5-3 years old) my Dad was one of the football coaches at the highschool; my folks tell stories about the pilots screwing with the new guys by placing bets on if I could swim the length of the pool at the apartment complex, I could.

Fred

Don't like Beeville??? It's all what you make of it. Trust me -- it's better than many duty stations; Kingsville is one --- but I didn't believe it until I got banished there. I Can't look back ... go with the hand you're dealt. Everything will work out in the end ....

Believe it. ;)

I won't go as far as saying I didn't like it, we had some great times, and made life long friends. I know my husband loved the amount of flight hours he got in VT-25 as a SERE grad. However, out of every place we've lived, I liked it the least. Lemoore is a close 2nd. :)

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Barnard1425 said:
The Brits.

The Argentines have always been, and will always be, the Frenchmen of Latin America.......General incompetence in all things political and military......
I don't know what your problem with Argentines is but you will not find pilots with bigger nads then their Falkland War A4 pilots.

The Argentine A4 pilots launched with just enough gas to make it to the target, make one pass and go home. Any deviations to avoid fighters, second passes at the target, etc. meant they were eventually punching out versus landing. Yet they flew and pressed home their attacks, doing whatever it took to get their bomb on target.

I did a UN mission where there were Brits and Argentine officers who had fought in that war. They had a great time drinking with each other and swapping war stories. There was a Brit Harrier pilot who thought the Argentine A4 pilots were the most fearless guys on the planet. He had nothing but total respect for their abilities and wondered why there were not more British ships sunk. Pure good luck for the Brits and bad luck for the Argentines he would say.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Barnard1425 said:
...The Argentines have always been, and will always be, the Frenchmen of Latin America......
Now that's just complete bullshit. I guess I shouldn't say that ... so I won't. Pretend I didn't say that.

I've trained some of their A-4 drivers and they were good. And they were good men, to boot. Their Naval Air arm and Navy was good. The highest calling for THEM was emulate US .... they wanted to be "just like their American flight instructors".

I also flew South America with my first airline. All of our Argie employees were first rate people.

I have nothing but positive things to say about my experiences down there. Their government under Galtieri and many others leaves much to be desired ... but I stand by the positive things I've said.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Barnard1425 said:
That's great, but ....

BUT: your statement was complete bullshit and was based on ignorance and I suspect, NO hands-on first person experience. Si??? If you've never worked with them, lived there, or ... what ...??? .... you don't know what you're talking about. It ain't brain surgery.

You know ... this one:

.....The Argentines have always been, and will always be, the Frenchmen of Latin America......

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Barnard1425 said:
.....From Mexico to Uruguay, nine out of ten Latins agree: the Argentines are the Frenchmen of Latin America.....Or maybe I could just get a job with the airlines. That sort of career seems to fill in the blanks, ¿no?
First of all ... where did you find the upside down "?" ... I want one.

And the Mexicans and Uruguayans and Columbians, and Bolivians, and Guatemalans, and ... and .... and.... all the rest. They've got a lot to talk about, don't they??? If some of them were as good as the Argentines ....

Truth be known ... the French ran Mexico for a while ... :)

And I can find lots wrong with the U.S. military ... but it doesn't mean we're "like Frenchmen" ... ;) The Arige pilots I worked with were good boys. Not French.

Believe it.