• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The SHOW: Airlines still a "good gig"??

JTS11

pilot
Contributor

Is there SOP on how to handle something like this? I know it's a rare occurrence.

Are there curtains that can be drawn as aircrew pull an unconscious pilot from the cockpit and attempt CPR, or is it just out in the open for PAX to see?

Then, does the aircrew wait until they're on deck to relay what is happening, or is it open kimono while airborne?

HuggyU2

None
Is there SOP on how to handle something like this? I know it's a rare occurrence.
If it happens to the Captain, the FO should yell "Get the fuck out of MY seat!"

Yes there are SOPs for this. And no one dies inflight, normally. They are "incapacitated".

In a nutshell, get them away from the controls. Get the pilot out of the cockpit to render prolonged first aid. This will take time since you must ensure the security of the cockpit the entire time. Onboard doctors or the FAs can render first aid.

Get a deadheading pilot to join you in the cockpit, or a flight attendant if no pilots are in the cabin.

TacticalTater

None
If it happens to the Captain, the FO should yell "Get the fuck out of MY seat!"

Yes there are SOPs for this. And no one dies inflight, normally. They are "incapacitated".

In a nutshell, get them away from the controls. Get the pilot out of the cockpit to render prolonged first aid. This will take time since you must ensure the security of the cockpit the entire time. Onboard doctors or the FAs can render first aid.

Get a deadheading pilot to join you in the cockpit, or a flight attendant if no pilots are in the cabin.

I thought the old joke was, "you check the seniority list" at least that's how it was at Northwest. 😁

taxi1

pilot

Are there curtains that can be drawn as aircrew pull an unconscious pilot from the cockpit and attempt CPR, or is it just out in the open for PAX to see?

Then, does the aircrew wait until they're on deck to relay what is happening, or is it open kimono while airborne?
I wonder how many hours he was dead before they realized it.