• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Tomcat Legacy; 35+ years from Fleet Air Defender to Recce to Precision Strike

HOORAH

Uncle Sam's Misguided Children
F14 Pylon turn Flyby by Snort...the real lowdown

OK you've all seen it and someone made a comment about it last year stating that it is real but is it?

http://www.micom.net/oops/F14-flyby.jpg

I'm having a debate with a friend right now on it's validity. He works with the Marine Corps as a civilian and stated that he hasn't found any proof that it is and that that is the only known photo of the incident. So his thoughts are "how could it be real then?" So I thought I'd ask the people that actually fly if it is a) possible and b) real.

If the info found on the web is real then the description on the pic is wrong.

http://www.k7tgu.com/Hancock/Fly-byCVN74.htm

I found one link that doesn't work anymore that stated that it's not even possible to do. This is as much as I can read about what this person thinks about it "Quote: Fake. Reason is simple. For the air to be atomized and shattered the F-14 has to be in more than a 2.5G turn and above 300 kts. Which means he is going to pull a loop in under 2000 feet of space. If you look at the carrier, his starboard wing..." When I click on the link though it doesn't work and it was on a corvette forum. Weird. Anyway...

So I'm coming to the experts. You tell me because I'm curious now.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
^^ That pic has been discussed on here before and I think the conclusion was that it is real. The reasoning about the vapes/300 Kts/2.5 G turn is completely bogus. Vapes can happen in straight and level flight at relatively slow speed. It's more a matter of the humidity than anything else. The guy over by the platform with his hands behind his back is allegedly then CNO Jay Johnson. Someone else here may have first hand experience.

Brett

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I worked for Snort when he was Gator on the TR and I was an OOD. It's him and it's real.

PU Grad

MAC flight user
pilot
Mefesto said:
This is what really happened, 100% valid:

Facts editted out.

Mefesto, didn't you read the subject line of the thread? He wants oppinions (sic) not silly facts.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For the air to be atomized and shattered the F-14 has to be in more than a 2.5G turn and above 300 kts.

I have always loved flying in the Tomcat and especially atomizing and shattering the air. :icon_mi_1

snort

Banned
Was a sad day for the Tomcat community. But, time marches on and the tomcat's and my time has past. I'll leave it to the young bucks.

AW Mod note: "snort" has posed as a Tomcat driver so reader should not regard above comment as vaild

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
from navy.mil

ABOARD USS THEODORE ROOSEVELT (NNS) -- A long, storied chapter in naval aviation history came to a close July 28 with the final aircraft carrier flight operations for F-14 Tomcats, fighter jets that have spent more than 32 years in the fleet but are now retiring and making room for F/A-18E/F Super Hornets.

The final aircraft carrier operational launch for Tomcats happened aboard the Norfolk-based Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN 71) when aircraft No. 112 from the “Tomcatters” of Fighter Squadron (VF) 31, piloted by Lt. Blake Coleman and Radar Intercept Officer Lt. Cmdr. Dave Lauderbaugh, made its way down catapult No. 3 at 4:42 p.m.

full story

060728n5248r030mk3.jpg