• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Transitioning to a Flying "Life" After the Military

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
You're right on the money (no pun intended). Having a retirement and medical benefits as early as age 41 give you better options in pursuing another career and you still have time to start all over if you want to in a totally new venue.

I take it you retired active?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As it stands, I'm making an amount comparable to my salary in the military, with similar benefits (minus the MWR stuff)..

A direct gross salary comparison is apples and oranges because a great deal of your military salary is not taxed. Transitioning to civilian life and being taxed on 100% of salary AND likely now paying state taxes in addition to being (likely) bumped into a higher tax bracket can be a real eye opener.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I agree completely. I wasn't trying to start a shit storm, because as most of you know - I'd rather still be in the service. However, I had to make a choice and I made the right one. What I was getting at was the amount of hours you work, and the family sacrifices you make - makes the pay seem pretty shitty in comparison. ESPECIALLY for the young enlisted guys with families... The benefits are great, so is the retirement - but over here in civilian contractor land, if I put in the same amount of work/sacrificed as much, I'd get paid alot more.

At what point did you get out? My decision, based soley on my finacial state at the time was certainly not what I wanted to do. The Navy has no doubt given me chances to do things that the outside world could never have provided. However, except for this tour, I haven't been happy in the Navy since signing that bonus. It simply wasn't what I wanted to do. I guess my point is you did what you wanted to do and it was the right one. I guess what I did was right financially but I haven't been satisfied at all. I struggle thinking about my last 3 years active duty. In the scheme of things it isn't that long but for me, it's just painful. I could do the reserves, which I'm contemplating but then I lose out on the active duty retirement money. Back to the finacial thing again. So doing what's right for you IMO is "right" on the money..........that pun thing again.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
A direct gross salary comparison is apples and oranges because a great deal of your military salary is not taxed. Transitioning to civilian life and being taxed on 100% of salary AND likely now paying state taxes in addition to being (likely) bumped into a higher tax bracket can be a real eye opener.

What I will make, after taxes this year in P-cola, about $100k a year is equal to what my brother in law will make after taxes but he made about $125 in the civilian world. I think we are in the same tax bracket. I know of someone who made $290k last year and was taxed 32% so it's certainly quite a bit more in the civilian world. Then again, I don't think anyone in the military is making $290K a year on military pay alone.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I take it you retired active?

Yes, but my comments are based on working for 13 years now and sitting down with many aviators transitioning with anywhere from 10-30+ years of service and helping them figure out what's best. Getting out before 20 really robs you of that income and benefits you mentioned. The reserves don't start paying a retirement until decades later so it's an alternative, but has its good and others.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What I will make, after taxes this year in P-cola, about $100k a year is equal to what my brother in law will make after taxes but he made about $125 in the civilian world. I think we are in the same tax bracket. I know of someone who made $290k last year and was taxed 32% so it's certainly quite a bit more in the civilian world. Then again, I don't think anyone in the military is making $290K a year on military pay alone.

That's exactly what I was talking about: the transition can be a $20-25K hit in take home, which is about what you are seeing between you and your brother-in-law. Most civilian employemtn isn't as generous in vacation and sick "leave" either.

Nobody in military or civil service gets close to $290K a year nor does Congress because they are caps on pay scales even though many jobs have responsibilities that would garner large salaries outside the military.

That said, there are plenty of jobs in civil market that will never get close to $100K a year so Military isn't that bad. There are also lots of people making more. Are they having fun, serving their country or enjoy their jobs....depends I suppose, but likely not. I serve on several boards of directors with a cross mix of occupations. Most of them would trade pay checks with a JO in a heartbeat. It's all relative and you can serve your country and live a decent life with great people and still embark on another venue and make your fortune.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.... being a Marine is MUCH more .....You will get dirty, sweaty, smelly, and tired. You will say goodbye to your family and friends for months at a time. You will work long hours for shitty pay. .....You will get fucked over ..... But you'll keep doing it because you get to serve with and lead some of the finest young men and women this country has to offer....
I agree .... so one would have to ask the question: why does our country keep treating "the finest young men and women" so shabbily .... ???

The world wonders ... or at least, I do.

phrogpilot73

I couldn't agree with you more. Luckily, my father is a retired O-6 and had gone through the transition many years ago (has it been 15 years already, geez!). We sat down with my LES, my PSMC (which surprisingly is not that far off...), and the Federal and State tax brackets. He went line by line with me on the PSMC and LES, and then cross referenced taxes and we kept calculatin' and figurin' until we came up with a salary that I liked. We also calculated bottom lines of what I was going to accept. When they asked me salary at interview - I told them a range from what we had calculated to that number plus 5 grand. The result? They gave me the bottom number, and my paycheck every two weeks AFTER they take out medical, dental, vision, 401(K), etc... is +/-$50 of what I made in the USMC. Of course the surprising part is that it's roughly $20 grand more (of gross salary) than what I made in the USMC. I've been sure to explain that to all of my buddies that are getting out...

phrogpilot73

I agree .... so one would have to ask the question: why does our country keep treating "the finest young men and women" so shabbily .... ???

The world wonders ... or at least, I do.
I heard something on the radio, or read it in a newspaper, or saw it on T.V. recently... Don't remember which is was. The jist was, and the answer to your question is: "The country is not at war. The military is at war. There's a big difference."

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....the answer to your question is: "The country is not at war. The military is at war. There's a big difference."

The "answer" is wrong.

And I know YOU know it ... as the "real" answer is timeless, everlasting, and forever:

For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Chuck him out, the brute!"
But it's "Saviour of 'is country," when the guns begin to shoot;
An' it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' anything you please;
But Tommy ain't a bloomin' fool - you bet that Tommy sees!

Rudyard Kipling: TOMMY

RedDog

I don't know about the online U. of Phoenix. It seems pretty legit to me. It's not exactly the Sally Struthers school. Almost all schools offer online courses, it's just that U of Phoenix offers the whole degree online. There are some pretty shady, bare ass brick and mortar schools here in ATL that I would never send my kids to, but I know guys that have commissioned out of them. If your OSO is worth anything, he'll know best.

Sorry it's taken a bit to get back, I have been waiting on replies myself. I inquired of four different sources;

1) An OSO, said he didn't see any problems as long as the degree was completed with a 3.5 or greater GPA, AND graduation from OCS happened before the 26th birthday (for the aviation part).

2) A regular Navy recruiter, (trying to find the number for the OSO), he said it doesn't meet the criteria. He had a guy with both his Bachellor's and Master's degrees from U. of P., application kicked for not meeting criteria. This guy wanted to be in the Navy, so he enlisted. The recruiter said that he reapplied for OCS after 2 years enlisted service and was selected this time since he had good evals, test scores, etc.

3) A Lt. in P-Cola, Officer Selections (??), she was 99% sure that U. of P. was not on the approved list, however, gave me a number for another Lt. in New Orleans.

4) This Lt. was also pretty sure they weren't on the list, but it could be. He is having someone look into it and will get back with me next week. He knows there are online college's that meet the criteria, but was really not sure on this one.

I guess this was my point. There are some misconceptions about "accredited". They may have an accreditation, but not the one needed. This not only applies to the military, but in civilian life as well.

I'll update when I get the rest of the info.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Chuck him out, the brute!"
But it's "Saviour of 'is country," when the guns begin to shoot;
An' it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' anything you please;
But Tommy ain't a bloomin' fool - you bet that Tommy sees!

Very nice...

Additionally, there are civil servants who make in excess of 290k/yr...

The POTUS's salary is 400k...and he for damn sure ought to be a civil servant...;)

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator

Very nice...

The POTUS's salary is 400k...and he for damn sure ought to be a civil servant...;)

That being said, if you want talented individuals, you have to pay them. There are individuals in gov't with responsibilities far beyond any in the private sector, like the President, for one. "Service" counts for something, but you can't expect someone of decent talent to sign up if they have to completely abandon the lifestyle they would expect on the outside.

Military officers, aviators in particular, do pretty well, even better, compared to their civilian couterparts to a point. The military scale just tops out sooner. For an aviator to get out at 8-12 yrs, he will generally take a big hit in pay if he takes a flying job. Granted, there are some fabulous prizes out there if he's gets that coveted job flying whales to the Orient, but that takes a few years to get to. Helo guys can expect to take it hard in the shorts coming out of the military as well, especially if they haven't gotten ME F/W time. Me, I'll ride this military thing out and see where it takes me. At 20, I'll have the option to fly tourists over the Vegas Strip in a Robinson, since my rent and medical will already be taken care of!

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Very nice...

He is NOT a "civil servant" by definition of being in the civil service pay system run by OPM. None of those salaries even top $200K. POTUS is the Chief Executive and his pay is handled differently than civil servants.