• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Transitioning to a Flying "Life" After the Military

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Sorry it's taken a bit to get back, I have been waiting on replies myself. I inquired of four different sources;

1) An OSO, said he didn't see any problems as long as the degree was completed with a 3.5 or greater GPA, AND graduation from OCS happened before the 26th birthday (for the aviation part).

2) A regular Navy recruiter, (trying to find the number for the OSO), he said it doesn't meet the criteria. He had a guy with both his Bachellor's and Master's degrees from U. of P., application kicked for not meeting criteria. This guy wanted to be in the Navy, so he enlisted. The recruiter said that he reapplied for OCS after 2 years enlisted service and was selected this time since he had good evals, test scores, etc.

3) A Lt. in P-Cola, Officer Selections (??), she was 99% sure that U. of P. was not on the approved list, however, gave me a number for another Lt. in New Orleans.

4) This Lt. was also pretty sure they weren't on the list, but it could be. He is having someone look into it and will get back with me next week. He knows there are online college's that meet the criteria, but was really not sure on this one.

I guess this was my point. There are some misconceptions about "accredited". They may have an accreditation, but not the one needed. This not only applies to the military, but in civilian life as well.

I'll update when I get the rest of the info.

I can put this myth about the University of Phoenix to rest. The University of Phoenix is just as good as any other college. I am a University of Phoenix graduate and got Pro-Rec'ed SNA on the October board. (first try, too).

Autorotate

FAC, former Phrog pilot
What no one has mentioned yet is that no airline is actively hiring anyone. For example, there's a sim instructor at Miramar (civilian) that was a Phrog guy, transitioned to multi engine, and eventually got his quals in a 707. He's on furlough from Delta currently, and has been for at least two years, because they can't afford to keep him on as a pilot. He doesn't even know if he'll have retirement pay from them.

Who knows, maybe the airline industry will make a 180 by the time you've gone through 3 years of training and your 8 year commitment as a jet pilot...

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
What no one has mentioned yet is that no airline is actively hiring anyone. For example, there's a sim instructor at Miramar (civilian) that was a Phrog guy, transitioned to multi engine, and eventually got his quals in a 707. He's on furlough from Delta currently, and has been for at least two years, because they can't afford to keep him on as a pilot. He doesn't even know if he'll have retirement pay from them.

Who knows, maybe the airline industry will make a 180 by the time you've gone through 3 years of training and your 8 year commitment as a jet pilot...
You are so wrong...

All Delta furloughees have been offered the chance to return to work and they have been hiring off the street for at least 6 months.

Continental has been hiring for 3 years+

United and Northwest are hiring.

Southwest has been hiring since 3/2002.

US Airways has offered return to all furloughees and is again hiring off the street.

Fed Ex has been hiring on & off for 3 years.

UPS is hiring.

All the ACMI carriers (World, Gemini, Polar, Evergreen, Kalitta, etc.) are hiring.

All the regional airlines are hiring, they can't get enough pilots (of course you have to be willing to work for crap wages).

All the fractional operators are hiring. Net Jets has pay, benefits and work rules comparable to the ACMI operators and getting better.

The only major airline with furloughees awaiting recall is American.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot

Your information is inaccurate!!! Delta has recalled everybody and some have bypassed! They are and have for a few months been starting new hires??

Sorry HAL said it all... But I think AA is getting close to having to start new hires... I think most have deferred or have accepted recall? I know it is around the corner... Could all go to sh!t if Age 65 passes...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Your information is inaccurate!!! Delta has recalled everybody and some have bypassed! They are and have for a few months been starting new hires??

Sorry HAL said it all... But I think AA is getting close to having to start new hires... I think most have deferred or have accepted recall? I know it is around the corner... Could all go to sh!t if Age 65 passes...

A buddy of mine was a new hire by Delta about 5 months ago, he went there from Jet Blue.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Been a bunch of JetBlue folks jumping ship.. I know of a few here and a bunch more elsewhere... Word is that they are worried about a buy-out...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
What no one has mentioned yet is that no airline is actively hiring anyone. ..
Keep that info stashed away for future reference. Then -- when you don't get hired -- you can bring it out to diffuse any suspicions that you just couldn't get hired ... :D

Not to piss in your Cheerios, but being a Marine is MUCH more than wearing blues, scoring with chicks, battling fire monsters, climbing sheer rock faces, and flying jets. You will get dirty, sweaty, smelly, and tired. You will say goodbye to your family and friends for months at a time. You will work long hours for shitty pay. You will be told to go to an out of the cockpit tour. You will get fucked over with a shitty billet. But you'll keep doing it because you get to serve with and lead some of the finest young men and women this country has to offer. Your message seemed to indicate that you're only concerned about what you get out of it. Please, don't join the Marines. Join the Air Force.

I can't wait to join the Corps!