• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Transitioning to a Flying "Life" After the Military

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Military officers, aviators in particular, do pretty well, even better, compared to their civilian couterparts to a point. The military scale just tops out sooner.

I almost $*%T my pants every time I have to sit through a sub or nuke brief at the ROTC and the speaker brings up the slide about bonuses and money. It almost makes me want to jump ship and be a nuke...almost.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
2) A regular Navy recruiter, (trying to find the number for the OSO), he said it doesn't meet the criteria. He had a guy with both his Bachellor's and Master's degrees from U. of P., application kicked for not meeting criteria. This guy wanted to be in the Navy, so he enlisted. The recruiter said that he reapplied for OCS after 2 years enlisted service and was selected this time since he had good evals, test scores, etc.
That doesn't make any sense. The degree wasn't any good the first time around but it was ok the second? What criteria needs to be met?

RedDog said:
3) A Lt. in P-Cola, Officer Selections (??), she was 99% sure that U. of P. was not on the approved list, however, gave me a number for another Lt. in New Orleans.
What exactly is the "approved list"?

RedDog said:
I guess this was my point. There are some misconceptions about "accredited". They may have an accreditation, but not the one needed. This not only applies to the military, but in civilian life as well.
Then what type of accreditation is necessary? What are the misconceptions?

Note: I know the answers the these questions I've asked. However, I'm getting the feeling that you are talking outside of your zone.

RedDog

Well, that's the question. I intend to get to the real answer. As I can see that you have seen, 4 questions, 4 different answers. That's the kind of crap that misdirects right here...

When I was looking, I found no straight answers ( 18 yrs ago) . So far, I still don't have any straight answers. You say you know the answers..... Please share.

Yes, anybody can apply for enlisted aircrew, but the wings of Gold; many seek, only few find.

AJB37

Couldn't have said it better myself. To answer the OP's questions:

3. 60-70%-ish of all Marine pilots fly helicopters. Prepare yourself for that very real possibility.

Does that mean somebody can answer what percent get jets? ... /end bad joke.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
I was waiting to respond so, here's my take:

I joined the Navy to get my wings, fly Jets, and then go to the airlines!
-I did exactly that... Know it, want it, work for it but fly below the radar!

To get out before 20 is not hororable!
-I did nearly 12 active and continue in the Reserves.. What's not hororable there? What, because I used the Navy to build my resume???

Getting out before 20 is financially dumb!
-Maybe, do your research; however, my gross income as of June 30 is 80,188.83.. Do I pay more in taxes.. Yes.. But I control my schedule.. I will say that hauling trash and maybe Southwest (right now) are the only places with the dollars..

Moral of the story.. Talk to reservists; do what is right for you and your family; you will have to start a second career at some point; just cause you stayed in/got out doesn't make your perspective/argument right; drill/guard-don't waste that service time; We talk about the 'search' function here all the time, do the same IF you are on the fence-- Talk (candidly, I might add) with your buddies that stay in/get out; Facts- Make them show you their schedules/pay stubs/retirement plans/etc.. Not the standard over beers, "My job is so great yada, yada or my boss sucks blah, blah" Educate yourself and then make a SOLID decision. HEADWORK!!!

S3Dude

pilot
I was waiting to respond so, here's my take:

I joined the Navy to get my wings, fly Jets, and then go to the airlines!
-I did exactly that... Know it, want it, work for it but fly below the radar!

-I did nearly 12 active and continue in the Reserves.. What's not hororable there? What, because I used the Navy to build my resume???

-Maybe, do your research; however, my gross income as of June 30 is 80,188.83.. Do I pay more in taxes.. Yes.. But I control my schedule.. I will say that hauling trash and maybe Southwest (right now) are the only places with the dollars..

Moral of the story.. Talk to reservists; do what is right for you and your family; you will have to start a second career at some point; just cause you stayed in/got out doesn't make your perspective/argument right; drill/guard-don't waste that service time; We talk about the 'search' function here all the time, do the same IF you are on the fence-- Talk (candidly, I might add) with your buddies that stay in/get out; Facts- Make them show you their schedules/pay stubs/retirement plans/etc.. Not the standard over beers, "My job is so great yada, yada or my boss sucks blah, blah" Educate yourself and then make a SOLID decision. HEADWORK!!!

Partial Threadjack....

Boom Boom, or anyone else in a similar situation, as QOL is part of the equation I'm curious what your take is on commuting to either airline or reserve job. I'm assuming you're not commuting to your airline job since you're in "Graceland" flying purple. Are you flying in the reserves? How much real time is that taking from your schedule? Do you know many guys that commute to one or the other? Thanks!

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I joined the Navy to get my wings, fly Jets, and then go to the airlines!-I did exactly that... Know it, want it, work for it but fly below the radar!

I bet thats more the norm than anything. The best way to prepare for that life is to do exactly what most of us do.

I rarely hear anyone say that. To each his own. If I were at my 12 year mark right now, with the flight time and the airlines hiring like they are, I'd be gone, just like you. At that point, even before that point, we've done our time. We've served honorably. I would have probably stayed in the reserves as that was my original goal........it feel through though.

My issue is only having 3yrs and 5 months of active duty left after this tour. For me, it might be dumb getting out and losing out on the retirement pay. IMO, 15+ years is a gray area. It's not about honor but about why waste the retirement after all this time spent. For me, under 15 yrs, no gray, roll into the airlines.

It's tough, I've been asking question, bugging the shit out of folks as of late. I've become annoying and I've received so many different answers and stories, it's confusing. I agree, educate yourself, have a plan, go from there. I usually hear negative from those I know from say AA or United, those who are flying down here due to being laid off. I know one Coastie, who's on a 3 year flying contract after his 3rd lay off or furlough, not sure what the appropriate term is, from AA. He's had some financial hardships no doubt. My good buddy and former COD compatriot, now in his 6 month with Southwest has nothing but praise and happiness for them. He flies a lot though. His emails are to freaking chipper. Of course he also has his O-4 retirment pay that helps out quite a bit.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Tons of commuters: Rule of thumb- only commute to one..

Commuting to trash haulers is easier since we do more week on/week off type schedules.. Some of the reserve lines are 2 week on/2 week off.. Instead of the 3/4 on, 2/3 off schedules like the people movers.

I initially intended to drill in Meridian but decided to ride a desk in PERS for the QOL.. And a day of sitting reserve at my house pays more than 2 drills..

I bid reserve line here and work only a few days a month..
In fact my 6 month summary:
Aircraft Position Hours Landings Description
A-300 F/O 82:06 15 6 MONTH SUMM

xnvyflyer

xnvyflyer
pilot
Forget about the helicopter industry if you want to make $. It is a blast to do some of the jobs, but it is very nomadic and the pay usually isn't so great. Plus it's tough on your back.

I can't speak much about the airline industry.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Bunk- Good replies...

I suppose the honorable was more of a when I was in thing... See- I played my cards to early when the CO asked me (in my fleet sqn) to work with the detailer to go to VS-41 and I told him I wanted to go to Meridian because I was getting out at my MSR...

It is a big gamble... Could I be unemployed at some point.. YES! But I have a 7 year old & 3 year old and I never miss a thing.. I will trade/drop/call in sick if it is that important.. The longest I have been away from home was 5 days and that was once.. Otherwise had a handfull of 3 days but mostly a lot of airport stanbys..

If your buddies are not willing to step up and show you their CBA/work rules/bid pack/pay stubs, then they ain't your buddies.. That is half of a reservist job is to educate.. We do lessons learned in the fleet but why not from those that have transitioned?? Also make sure they show/explain adjusts they have made.. Dropped trips or in my case those extra.. !

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Bunk- Good replies...

I suppose the honorable was more of a when I was in thing... See- I played my cards to early when the CO asked me (in my fleet sqn) to work with the detailer to go to VS-41 and I told him I wanted to go to Meridian because I was getting out at my MSR...

It is a big gamble... Could I be unemployed at some point.. YES! But I have a 7 year old & 3 year old and I never miss a thing.. I will trade/drop/call in sick if it is that important.. The longest I have been away from home was 5 days and that was once.. Otherwise had a handfull of 3 days but mostly a lot of airport stanbys..

If your buddies are not willing to step up and show you their CBA/work rules/bid pack/pay stubs, then they ain't your buddies.. That is half of a reservist job is to educate.. We do lessons learned in the fleet but why not from those that have transitioned?? Also make sure they show/explain adjusts they have made.. Dropped trips or in my case those extra.. !
Boom Boom, great post. What you describe here is exactly what goes on over at Sailor Bob.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
Thanks... Steve.. Just trying to keep folks informed.. :icon_mi_1
It is appreciated...this forum is not just for educating folks trying to get their wings, but folks transitioning from flying (and perhaps to non-Governmental flying) as well.
Thanks.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It is appreciated...this forum is not just for educating folks trying to get their wings, but folks transitioning from flying (and perhaps to non-Governmental flying) as well.
Thanks.

Well, I figure I can put something up about my recent transition to civilian life and a non-flying job here in the next few days.......but where the heck do I put it?