• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Typhoon

thull

RetreadRand said:
Then why even post?

That last one was to put Brett at ease mostly. Something I don't usually bother doing, and something I won't bother to do in the future. :)

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
grave%20digger.jpg

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Seems like there'd be a risk getting that close with the draft of the C-130 and the engine intakes of the Typhoon..risk for engine stall??

I thought the initial question was innocent enough. Is there a risk of stalling the engine in this situation, or is it too hard to say from the photo/ classified?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I thought the initial question was innocent enough. Is there a risk of stalling the engine in this situation, or is it too hard to say from the photo/ classified?

Most modern engines have ways of dealing with disrupted airflow to minimize the chances of compressor stalls. Even so, it's not as though a compressor stall is a particularly hazardous thing. It doesn't cause the engine to shut down. If it were a serious issue, we wouldn't be flying a whole lot of form.

Brett

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
What's even more interesting to me is the alpha of that jet, hanging out back there. In the 5th picture, he looks like he's a good 25 degrees nose up or so. May just be an illusion created by the camera angle though.

Thull--while yes there's turbulent airflow around the a/c, the air has plenty of opportunity to straighten itself out once it enters the intakes. Just because the air isn't being rammed directly into the intakes doesn't mean it can't get enough. Besides, that close, he's probably inside of the most turbulent airflow, sort of "drafting" the herc if you will.

Awesome pictures, regardless.