• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Typhoon

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
What's even more interesting to me is the alpha of that jet, hanging out back there. In the 5th picture, he looks like he's a good 25 degrees nose up or so. May just be an illusion created by the camera angle though.

I'm not an aero major, but I believe that's one of the advantages of the canard design. Kind of reminds me of a picture that was hanging in the halls of the academic building when I was in flight school. It had a F-18 and T-34 flying form together. The Hornet's nose was pointed to the sky and the T-34's nose was pointed toward the deck. I always found that picture amusing.

SlickAg

pilot
It had a F-18 and T-34 flying form together. The Hornet's nose was pointed to the sky and the T-34's nose was pointed toward the deck.

When we checked in we were told that a T-34 was doing an airborne landing gear extension on a cross country 18. Something happened, T-34 crashed, no dissimilar forms for the T-34 after that.

Anyone recall what the exact cause was?

MasterBates

No posting of Mishap Board Results in public forums. Talk to your squadron ASO, he can show you a copy of the SIR if you really want to see it.

But FOUO, and not for public consumption.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
When we checked in we were told that a T-34 was doing an airborne landing gear extension on a cross country 18. Something happened, T-34 crashed, no dissimilar forms for the T-34 after that.

Anyone recall what the exact cause was?

That's a pretty over-simplification from the version I heard long ago. In the interest of general training (and not specific to that particular incident), yes, there is a "no dissimilar aircraft forms" on the books because aerodynamically, two different airplanes do two different things. A bigger airplane might move more air or cause more turbulence than the smaller one, and therefore cause issues. If this results in OCF at low altitude or the two planes smacking, it's obviously a bad thing.

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
The four forces acting on an airplane in flight, coming right up:

1. FARs
2. 3710
3. NATOPS
4. SOPs

Let's not forget the fifth force acting on an airplane in flight: The Night Prior Effects, often confused with the symptoms of a hangover and other nocturnal adventures.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
yes, there is a "no dissimilar aircraft forms" on the books because aerodynamically, two different airplanes do two different things.

Is that in everyone's NATOPS or just the T-34C's?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Is that in everyone's NATOPS or just the T-34C's?

It's just a T-34 specific thing due to the aforementioned mishap years ago. It can be a normal thing in the helo community, as well. Ironically enough, I almost had the opportunity to fly as a "section" w/ a T-34 while in the -60. Well, not quite, but it didn't matter anyway, because the WTIs didn't want to play that day.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
The worst is when a piper cub and s2b are flying in formation. The pitts is hanging on the prop while the cub is diving at max a/s. It's a funny site to see.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
RetreadRand said:
^ I love it when sea stories become " *snort*when I was at Embry Riddle" A la "this one time at band camp"

HEY!! come on now, thats not nice. That flying had nothing to with riddle anyways. :)

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
It's just a T-34 specific thing due to the aforementioned mishap years ago.

We had the "no dissimilar forms" restriction in T-1 and T-6 land. Not NATOPS (that I remember), but wing/squadron SOP. Although in the T-6, you could in order to help diagnose configuration or gear issues.

I'd probably gander that the T-6 SOP restriction stems from the T-34 mishap. With the T-1, I think it was more USAF anal-retentiveness.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
RetreadRand said:
NICE? This is Naval aviation...grow some nuts....or at least thicker skin!

HA once again. ;) trust me...i have grown a lot of thick skin around this place. Im lucky to get through a day without a riddle pee diddle joke.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'd probably gander that the T-6 SOP restriction stems from the T-34 mishap. With the T-1, I think it was more USAF anal-retentiveness.

I'd buy that. Or just general training command restrictiveness.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Yah... it blows at times... but that's when you thank the scheduling gods that you flew certain events BEFORE the monthly stan and safety meetings.