• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Typical day-to-day life

cpwhit1

Final Select SNFO 07 March 2010
I've tried to research this but haven't come up with anything...so hopefully i wont get too much crap for this question....seems to be a theme.

As a Navy Pilot or NFO, what is a typical work day like when you're at "home" and when you're deployed? (sorry if i'm using inappropriate terminology). I imagine i'm going to get a bunch of "It Depends" type of answers.

Are you flying everyday? When your not flying, what do you do? When/If your on a carrier, how often do you fly and what are you doing when you are not?

Also, I think the commitment as an aviator is something like 8 years, how much of that is spent being away from home?

Grassy-Ass.

MasterBates

Pilot.

Home: 8-12 hour days 5 days a week. May or may not fly.
Deployed: fly 5-10x a week, do lots of paperwork. Sleep. Play Xbox.

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
Alot depends on your ground job.

If you are in training or the Legal O, you could be coing in on the weekends. It also depends on optempo and how the planes are working. My last squadron is now regularly flying on the weekends.

Steve

In an effort to revive this thread a little, I'm also curious about day-to-day ops of Naval Aviators. Is it really that simple? What about "vacation" time? 30 days annually?

Renegade One

None
In an effort to revive this thread a little, I'm also curious about day-to-day ops of Naval Aviators. Is it really that simple? What about "vacation" time? 30 days annually?
You'll earn 30 days/year…probably most folks take 1-2 weeks at any one time, but that depends on a lot of things.

You'll earn 30 days/year…probably most folks take 1-2 weeks at any one time, but that depends on a lot of things.

Thanks!

Pilot.

Home: 8-12 hour days 5 days a week. May or may not fly.
Deployed: fly 5-10x a week, do lots of paperwork. Sleep. Play Xbox.

Just trying to get a handle on this, wondering if it's that simple. Girlfriend (future wife) and I are just curious about work/life balance. Currently we are flight attendants so we are used to being apart, that's not a big issue, but we've never done multiple months at once. During training, are there any week-long breaks or anything? I haven't searched this yet but I will...just asking since I'm here. She will continue to fly for this major airline, so getting to my location isn't a big deal (if it's allowed...I just don't know much about it yet...again, haven't searched, but I will, just asking since I'm already here). Thank you!

croakerfish

pilot
Thanks!

Just trying to get a handle on this, wondering if it's that simple. Girlfriend (future wife) and I are just curious about work/life balance. Currently we are flight attendants so we are used to being apart, that's not a big issue, but we've never done multiple months at once. During training, are there any week-long breaks or anything? I haven't searched this yet but I will...just asking since I'm here. She will continue to fly for this major airline, so getting to my location isn't a big deal (if it's allowed...I just don't know much about it yet...again, haven't searched, but I will, just asking since I'm already here). Thank you!

Being a military pilot will take over your life, it's just a fact. Flight school is obviously demanding and your schedule is unpredictable. You will spend weeknights and most of a day on the weekend studying and preparing for your upcoming flights. You will carefully manage your time to ensure you can carve out personal time on the weekends, although you will fly on weekends occasionally.
Once you graduate and go to the FRS it's a little more gentlemanly. You'll still have to work hard but since the focus is on getting you qualified in your fleet aircraft versus cramming everything there is to know into your head, plus judging whether or not you should even be here, it's not as frantic.
When you hit the fleet the game changes again. You are a nobody that can't be trusted with much until proven otherwise. How long you spend at work each day will depend on your ground job as well as what's going on in your command, as well as your own timing. If you're the Legal O and somebody gets in trouble, expect a long week. If you're a Schedules O and two of your fully-qualified instructor pilots go med down unexpectedly, expect a long day. If your squadron is working up for deployment, everyone will be flying a lot and the ground duties will pick up for everyone.

I will say in my case (HSC Expeditionary), excluding days as SDO where you're basically at work for 24 hours, I haven't done more than 5 days in the last 2.5 years that exceeded 12 hours actually at work. But, I'm at a very large squadron that sends small groups out on deployment several times a year rather than the whole circus packing up at once. If I was in a single-seat jet squadron, I'd be getting spit-roasted on ground jobs and rushing through more tactical quals in less time, so I'd probably have a lot more long days. Additionally, some of my peers put in much longer days than me and come in on weekends routinely. I'm not sure if they're just that busy, or if they don't have a life.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor

Also keep in mind that weekends and holidays count against your 30 days if you're on leave, whereas in the civilian world, it doesn't. If you're trying to do a genuine comparison, it's more like 3 weeks of leave per year; though you are allotted 30 days "off." If you just want to hang around your local area on the weekdays, your weekends won't count against you and that's a way to maximize leave if you just need time away from the office.

I'll comment on this more soon.

Being a military pilot will take over your life, it's just a fact. Flight school is obviously demanding and your schedule is unpredictable. You will spend weeknights and most of a day on the weekend studying and preparing for your upcoming flights. You will carefully manage your time to ensure you can carve out personal time on the weekends, although you will fly on weekends occasionally.
Once you graduate and go to the FRS it's a little more gentlemanly. You'll still have to work hard but since the focus is on getting you qualified in your fleet aircraft versus cramming everything there is to know into your head, plus judging whether or not you should even be here, it's not as frantic.
When you hit the fleet the game changes again. You are a nobody that can't be trusted with much until proven otherwise. How long you spend at work each day will depend on your ground job as well as what's going on in your command, as well as your own timing. If you're the Legal O and somebody gets in trouble, expect a long week. If you're a Schedules O and two of your fully-qualified instructor pilots go med down unexpectedly, expect a long day. If your squadron is working up for deployment, everyone will be flying a lot and the ground duties will pick up for everyone.

I will say in my case (HSC Expeditionary), excluding days as SDO where you're basically at work for 24 hours, I haven't done more than 5 days in the last 2.5 years that exceeded 12 hours actually at work. But, I'm at a very large squadron that sends small groups out on deployment several times a year rather than the whole circus packing up at once. If I was in a single-seat jet squadron, I'd be getting spit-roasted on ground jobs and rushing through more tactical quals in less time, so I'd probably have a lot more long days. Additionally, some of my peers put in much longer days than me and come in on weekends routinely. I'm not sure if they're just that busy, or if they don't have a life.

I fully expect Military Aviation to take over my life - I'm actually looking forward to it. There are so many positives that lead me to believe this is the right career path for me. My sig other is 100% supportive and onboard. It helps that many of the Navy bases are in warm areas, with many in FL where most of her family is. Currently we live in MN and are ready to leave the cold inland area. We both grew up in the water, which is one of the reasons I initially looked into the Navy vs other branches. That might sound silly, but I swam competitively from age 4 through college and it paid for school.

Thank you for the outline of training as well - that has been the more difficult to find details on than other aspects.

Also keep in mind that weekends and holidays count against your 30 days if you're on leave, whereas in the civilian world, it doesn't. If you're trying to do a genuine comparison, it's more like 3 weeks of leave per year; though you are allotted 30 days "off." If you just want to hang around your local area on the weekdays, your weekends won't count against you and that's a way to maximize leave if you just need time away from the office.

Look forward to it and greatly appreciate it.

Pags

N/A
pilot

Using leave for weekends and holidays is a total scam. I'm taking 4 days of civilian leave to have 11 days off durin Xmas. If I was still military that would've cost me 9-11 days of leave depending on how hard up the command was about linking leave and liberty.

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
Using leave for weekends and holidays is a total scam. I'm taking 4 days of civilian leave to have 11 days off durin Xmas. If I was still military that would've cost me 9-11 days of leave depending on how hard up the command was about linking leave and liberty.

Yeah, it's frustrating. Now that I have a kid and traveling is both more frustrating and more expensive, I've been doing a lot more leave at home and not charging the weekends as I value just time away from the office.

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor

I was a carrier guy in a smaller squadron - every JO had a job. Some were busy jobs with long hours (ops almost always), some were more standard and closely mirrored a 9-5 or 7-5 workday depending on a few factors. Definitely saw guys put in work on the weekends - I had to as well in the run up to aircraft commander and earning the tactical quals. This was common. I wouldn't say 12 hour days at home are common, but a 10 hour day was, routinely both before and after deployment. In the heart of workups, a 12+ hour day still wasn't common, but they certainly happened more... Typically 0700-1900 (probably an average day in workups was 0800-1830 for me as a guy new out of the FRS) and then I knew my productivity was down and I was hungry and needed to spend some time with the wife.

What was I doing? If I wasn't taking care of my division or its associated paperwork for whatever other ground job, I was studying. There are a lot of questionably useful computer lessons you have to get done, then study the actual material in order to get sign offs in order to get the flight you need in order to get the qual you need. This is why I say "flight school never ends."

It helps that many of the Navy bases are in warm areas, with many in FL where most of her family is. Currently we live in MN and are ready to leave the cold inland area. We both grew up in the water, which is one of the reasons I initially looked into the Navy vs other branches. That might sound silly, but I swam competitively from age 4 through college and it paid for school.

I don't think this is a terrible line of thinking. I partially chose the Navy because of where the bases are located compared to the Air Force. I figured the place I least wanted to be in the Navy was Norfolk and I'd choose that over a lot of Air Force Bases like Minot, Edwards, etc. I now think the worst place I could be stationed would be Fallon, and even that I don't think would be terrible. The plus side of the Air Force though, is they have a lot more presence than the Navy does in Europe. I think it's fairly difficult to get to Europe while remaining in Naval Aviation, for the most part - and definitely when compared to the Air Force.

Expect her to come visit you more than you'll be able to see her. While in flight school, during Primary, my timing was very lucky and I finished right before the FY so they waited until October 1st to "officially" say I was done - as a result, for a few weekends in September, I got to visit San Antonio, Austin, and Houston. I had flown or simmed for 13 weeks straight with only Sundays off prior to that. In advanced, I had less weekends I had to fly, but the pace was pretty much the same otherwise and I didn't hardly ever get to travel. I think when I was in advanced, from Milton, I went to Atlanta once. Do not expect any week long breaks other than taking charged leave during the Christmas-time or New Year's periods. The plus side to this is you'll accrue a bunch of leave that you may or may not be able to take in the fleet.

Once you hit the fleet, it's possible you'll be gone - a lot. In the year 2014, despite being stationed in San Diego, I was in the State of California for only 47 days. The rest of my time was either at sea doing workups, in Fallon, NV doing workups, or at sea on deployment, plus the next 6 months of 2015 deployment.

However, with all that said, even if I don't stay in, I'm pretty proud of having served in the Navy and I generally have fond memories, and a few ones that hurt and cut deep. If the Navy is calling you - answer the call.