• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Typical day-to-day life

I was a carrier guy in a smaller squadron - every JO had a job. Some were busy jobs with long hours (ops almost always), some were more standard and closely mirrored a 9-5 or 7-5 workday depending on a few factors. Definitely saw guys put in work on the weekends - I had to as well in the run up to aircraft commander and earning the tactical quals. This was common. I wouldn't say 12 hour days at home are common, but a 10 hour day was, routinely both before and after deployment. In the heart of workups, a 12+ hour day still wasn't common, but they certainly happened more... Typically 0700-1900 (probably an average day in workups was 0800-1830 for me as a guy new out of the FRS) and then I knew my productivity was down and I was hungry and needed to spend some time with the wife.

What was I doing? If I wasn't taking care of my division or its associated paperwork for whatever other ground job, I was studying. There are a lot of questionably useful computer lessons you have to get done, then study the actual material in order to get sign offs in order to get the flight you need in order to get the qual you need. This is why I say "flight school never ends."

I don't think this is a terrible line of thinking. I partially chose the Navy because of where the bases are located compared to the Air Force. I figured the place I least wanted to be in the Navy was Norfolk and I'd choose that over a lot of Air Force Bases like Minot, Edwards, etc. I now think the worst place I could be stationed would be Fallon, and even that I don't think would be terrible. The plus side of the Air Force though, is they have a lot more presence than the Navy does in Europe. I think it's fairly difficult to get to Europe while remaining in Naval Aviation, for the most part - and definitely when compared to the Air Force.

Expect her to come visit you more than you'll be able to see her. While in flight school, during Primary, my timing was very lucky and I finished right before the FY so they waited until October 1st to "officially" say I was done - as a result, for a few weekends in September, I got to visit San Antonio, Austin, and Houston. I had flown or simmed for 13 weeks straight with only Sundays off prior to that. In advanced, I had less weekends I had to fly, but the pace was pretty much the same otherwise and I didn't hardly ever get to travel. I think when I was in advanced, from Milton, I went to Atlanta once. Do not expect any week long breaks other than taking charged leave during the Christmas-time or New Year's periods. The plus side to this is you'll accrue a bunch of leave that you may or may not be able to take in the fleet.

Once you hit the fleet, it's possible you'll be gone - a lot. In the year 2014, despite being stationed in San Diego, I was in the State of California for only 47 days. The rest of my time was either at sea doing workups, in Fallon, NV doing workups, or at sea on deployment, plus the next 6 months of 2015 deployment.

However, with all that said, even if I don't stay in, I'm pretty proud of having served in the Navy and I generally have fond memories, and a few ones that hurt and cut deep. If the Navy is calling you - answer the call.

First; thank you. I do believe at this point that they are calling me (to paraphrase Muir). I have looked into the Air Force, I hear a lot more salty grumblings about USAF v Navy. Maybe I just haven't seen the Navy grumblings. Another big plus (besides the water and potential carrier landings) is that they give pilot contracts before signing up. Granted, you still must pass the flight physical AFTER going to OCS, but I don't see that as an issue for me (all though if you have additional info, that would be great. I assume it's similar to my class three med for my student license).

If married, the benefits of moving around with the Navy actually attract us, and the prospect of being gone is fine with both of us. We both enjoy our alone time - it's a big reason we are both FA's currently. With her job, it's basically possible to live anywhere and continue to work. I say possible, but a T-Pac commute would get old quick.

Serving, travel, adventure and challenges are important to us - US Navy has all of that, plus you have all the benefits that come with the Military. I used to see myself as an airline pilot, but I honestly don't know if I could sit up there running radios and auto-pilot for 35 years (with the occasional emergency or mishap). It's also a recession-proof stable "industry", unlike the incredibly volatile civil aviation side.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
First; thank you. I do believe at this point that they are calling me (to paraphrase Muir). I have looked into the Air Force, I hear a lot more salty grumblings about USAF v Navy. Maybe I just haven't seen the Navy grumblings. Another big plus (besides the water and potential carrier landings) is that they give pilot contracts before signing up. Granted, you still must pass the flight physical AFTER going to OCS, but I don't see that as an issue for me (all though if you have additional info, that would be great. I assume it's similar to my class three med for my student license).

If married, the benefits of moving around with the Navy actually attract us, and the prospect of being gone is fine with both of us. We both enjoy our alone time - it's a big reason we are both FA's currently. With her job, it's basically possible to live anywhere and continue to work. I say possible, but a T-Pac commute would get old quick.

Serving, travel, adventure and challenges are important to us - US Navy has all of that, plus you have all the benefits that come with the Military. I used to see myself as an airline pilot, but I honestly don't know if I could sit up there running radios and auto-pilot for 35 years (with the occasional emergency or mishap). It's also a recession-proof stable "industry", unlike the incredibly volatile civil aviation side.

And just when I thought your posts were good, this one ruined it haha!

So... first of all, I think the Air Force is a very professional organization and if you are more concerned with flying than "officership," it's probably the way to go. My next tour will almost certainly be one that's not flying - in fact - it will probably be on a ship and that is built into my career timeline - it's not something that most pilots get to avoid. The Air Force doesn't really have anything like that for a pilot at the same rank / experience level.

The flight physical is significantly more intense than your class 3 medical, but it's been a while since I've gotten a class 3 up chit, but I remember it being a joke compared to Navy flight physicals.

While "recession" proof - being a pilot in the Navy is certainly not one that's a guaranteed 20 years with a pension. I know several guys who have effectively been laid off; I too am concerned with that and I think that just a year or two ago, most people thought I was on a pretty successful path, but timing and competition can definitely end a Naval career - I do not say this lightly.

And just when I thought your posts were good, this one ruined it haha!

So... first of all, I think the Air Force is a very professional organization and if you are more concerned with flying than "officership," it's probably the way to go. My next tour will almost certainly be one that's not flying - in fact - it will probably be on a ship and that is built into my career timeline - it's not something that most pilots get to avoid. The Air Force doesn't really have anything like that for a pilot at the same rank / experience level.

The flight physical is significantly more intense than your class 3 medical, but it's been a while since I've gotten a class 3 up chit, but I remember it being a joke compared to Navy flight physicals.

While "recession" proof - being a pilot in the Navy is certainly not one that's a guaranteed 20 years with a pension. I know several guys who have effectively been laid off; I too am concerned with that and I think that just a year or two ago, most people thought I was on a pretty successful path, but timing and competition can definitely end a Naval career - I do not say this lightly.

Well I wouldn't be me without sticking my foot in my mouth a bit :oops: Insert excuse here: I've not been at this long and I have virtually zero military knowledge except what I've gleaned from folks like you (and recruiters).

If you can expand upon the flight physical at your leisure I would be very appreciative.

I didn't intend to knock the Air Force, I'm only sharing what I've learned in my research. Not sure yet if I'm more concerned with flying or officership - I dig flying but I also dig leading. Both are very important to me. This is the first I've heard of such negatives regarding the Navy - sounds like I have more digging to do. Sounds like you might be having a rough go of things right now, if that's the case I hope things turn around for you.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Well I wouldn't be me without sticking my foot in my mouth a bit :oops: Insert excuse here: I've not been at this long and I have virtually zero military knowledge except what I've gleaned from folks like you (and recruiters).

If you can expand upon the flight physical at your leisure I would be very appreciative.

I didn't intend to knock the Air Force, I'm only sharing what I've learned in my research. Not sure yet if I'm more concerned with flying or officership - I dig flying but I also dig leading. Both are very important to me. This is the first I've heard of such negatives regarding the Navy - sounds like I have more digging to do. Sounds like you might be having a rough go of things right now, if that's the case I hope things turn around for you.

Hey, no worries. You're a good new poster asking good questions and your spirit is in the right spot.

The flight physical? Well, I can't remember the class 3, but basically I remember an eye test, a review of my medical history, and maybe a few other things, but the initial screening in Pensacola seemed to be much more in depth - variety of eye tests, anthro measurements, etc., that wasn't covered in a class 3. I also think there was an EKG...

And no worries, it's clear you weren't bashing the Air Force, I was just saying - they are a very professional organization when it comes to flying.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
There are plenty of "grumblings" on the Navy side too, we have just been a little slower to go full retard than the Air Force. They have their own problems that are unique to them and their "culture", but the grass isn't necessarily greener on our side in terms of the big picture.

No offense to you, but with a FA background, the possibilities for a call sign are limitless……...

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
if you are more concerned with flying than "officership," it's probably the way to go.

Rrrrrright, as good as it gets. If I'd been asked to express the ethos of Russian Air Force it wouldn't be better than that. Flier first, leader second, up to LtCol and even higher. Evidently, Air Force in every country is the same essentially...

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I'd argue admin/.ppt bitch first, pilot second, even if not officially sanctioned that way in the USAF. They have the same problems, called "queep" in their parlance. Same same, different jobs maybe but same complaints.

There are plenty of "grumblings" on the Navy side too, we have just been a little slower to go full retard than the Air Force. They have their own problems that are unique to them and their "culture", but the grass isn't necessarily greener on our side in terms of the big picture.

No offense to you, but with a FA background, the possibilities for a call sign are limitless……...

A straight male FA at that. Bring on the stereotypes re: call signs! A sign of love some say...I swam in college so ball-busting is familiar and welcome. At least my CRM skills are solid. Today was a another crazy day in the nutbouse flying LAS DTW RSW. Used to dealing with stupid.

Max the Mad Russian

Same same, different jobs maybe but same complaints.
"Sir, I'm not gonna endure all this paperwork, I just want to fly jets and nothing more" kind of asking that is usually falls on deaf ears everywhere in military world, could find a satisfactory answer in Air Force at least sometimes, as I have been told. That first Earth's spaceman, Yury Gagarin, a fighter pilot of Northern Fleet NavAir and 1st Lt at the moment of his space mission (108 minutes around the globe made him Major), with all due respect to his achievement was, in the memoirs of his counterparts, very reluctant to make any admin jobs, either pretending to be "stupid as a wooden pile but extremely good physically, an ideal combination to be the military pilot" or just he really was right that. Yet he quite could make a good career in AF even without his space jump..

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Didn't he die flying a MiG-21 drunk? Mikoyan is currently rolling in his recent grave……..

Max the Mad Russian

No, a MiG-15UTI, a 2-seat trainer version of 15's. And what have been buried was not a body - just small parts, either. That is why the rumors are sometimes floating here that he was kidnapped by some Martians instead and lived with Elvis, Saint-Exupery and alike in luxury starship, this kind of shit:) Really, our Air Force is dominated by pilots, pilots and pilots, while navigators/WSOs who are banned from holding the command posts in squadrons and air regiments, sometimes refer to the pilot as just "taxi driver", who cares about three things and nothing more:
1. Number of takeoffs should be the same that number of landings;
2. Whatever you hunt in the air or bomb on the surface is just target, and if the human being is inside of that target, that's not your problem, it's his/her;
3. Salary should be paid on time and the more money you will claim, the more you'll get.
Of course, one cannot imagine a fighter squadron without inner competition (if you are not the best, you're the worst), but it usually ends somewhere in between the 1st Lt (two years from commissioning) and Capt (four) - from the Capt the average Russian fighter pilot is within that triangle noted above.

Last edited:

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
So... first of all, I think the Air Force is a very professional organization and if you are more concerned with flying than "officership," it's probably the way to go.

The most important part of "officership" is being proficient at employing your aircraft in a lethal manner.

It seems more and more like the word "flying" is an F word and "officership" a word thrown around by people who think ground jobs and non-flying related duties are more important than actually being competent in your platform.