• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Unbelievably Sad...

jorgelito

PRO-REC INTEL
I don't think the article is too bad. That cop is a hero. It's just sad he couldn't save the baby in time. But still, in my mind that cop is a hero.

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
I'd like to think that if I came upon something like this, I'd be able to keep the guy busy long enough for the police to show up. But the story says two people tried to intervene but were unable to stop him from killing the kid.

Guy got what was coming to him in my book.

jorgelito

PRO-REC INTEL
I'd like to think that if I came upon something like this, I'd be able to keep the guy busy long enough for the police to show up. But the story says two people tried to intervene but were unable to stop him from killing the kid.

You know, that is a great point. What if one of the bystander's was armed? And had they done the right thing and took the guy out and saved the child, would they get in trouble for discharging their firearm?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If he gets to it XNavyFlyer will have more cred then me, but I have been a volunteer Tactical Flight Officer on my local Sheriff's office for several years. I am glad the TFO had the opportunity to to save the baby's life. Some law enforcement aviation units frown on the TFO leaving the aircraft. Sheriff's Office air units are more likely to approve of the TFO leaving just as this Police Officer did (city cop flying as TFO on County Sheriff's helo piloted by Sheriff's Deputy). I have never had to land and leave the aircraft, although we brief it. I do know of a few times TFOs in my unit have left the aircraft because they deemed it necessary to the mission or to ensure the safety of civilian or law enforcement personnel.

JIMC5499

ex-Mech

I wouldn't even try to keep him busy. I'd go the same route as the cop. Warn him, if he doesn't stop then shoot him. Another strike against California's gun laws.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You know, that is a great point. What if one of the bystander's was armed? And had they done the right thing and took the guy out and saved the child, would they get in trouble for discharging their firearm?
In every state of the union, you can use deadly force to save the life of another person who's life you reasonably believe is threatened. Now this did take place in gun hating CA, but I am sure anyone shooting the perpetrator in this case would be on firm legal ground. Remember, it doesn't matter if you are a cop or a legally armed citizen, the same laws apply in the use of deadly force. So if the cop was justified in shooting then a civilian would be.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Warn him, if he doesn't stop then shoot him.
Your option. I don't think any states require a warning. If a bad guy is actively killing someone why give him even 3 seconds more to harm an innocent? What if that last blow was the one to cause death?

Flugelman

Contributor
In every state of the union, you can use deadly force to save the life of another person who's life you believe is threatened. Now this did take place in gun hating CA, but I am sure anyone shooting the perpetrator in this case would be on firm legal ground. Remember, it doesn't matter if you are a cop or a legally armed citizen, the same laws apply in the use of deadly force. So if the cop was justified in shooting then a civilian would be.

My wife grew up in that farming community and we know lots of folks there. As far as I know, none of her relatives or friends travel those roads armed. When we go out there in the motorhome, my guns are in the safe, unloaded to meet state laws.:icon_rage Chances of someone equipped to intervene coming by are slim to none.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My wife grew up in that farming community and we know lots of folks there. As far as I know, none of her relatives or friends travel those roads armed. When we go out there in the motorhome, my guns are in the safe, unloaded to meet state laws.:icon_rage Chances of someone equipped to intervene coming by are slim to none.

:icon_rage:icon_rage:icon_rage

Suggested headline for San Fransisco Chronicle: Unarmed bystanders unable to deter baby's savage killer.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

What if one of them had a tire iron? It would have taken care of him too.

GroundPounder

Wink is correct, no warning is needed.

In general you need a few things to be met before you can use deadly force: 1. Be in reasonable fear of death or great bodily harm to yourself or another human. 2. The suspect must be able to cause you or another human death or great bodily harm.

In most cases law enforcement officers are not given any special rights that a regular citizen does not have when it comes to using deadly force. The only difference is that our actions will subject to more scrutiny than a " regular " person. The sad thing is that there is a 100% chance that the officer who used deadly force will be the defendant in a law suit. It will be dismissed eventually, but it will still be hanging over his head for the next few years.