• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Unbelievably Sad...

FlyinRock

My wife grew up in that farming community and we know lots of folks there. As far as I know, none of her relatives or friends travel those roads armed. When we go out there in the motorhome, my guns are in the safe, unloaded to meet state laws.:icon_rage Chances of someone equipped to intervene coming by are slim to none.

I lived in Turlock while I was crop dusting in the 80's/90's with helicopters. Amazing what you could see going on in the area. We often worked with law enforcement on searches and surveillance especially with the Tri County Narcotics Task Force.
Breaks my heart to think of a little kid being beaten but it was just as bad when the crackhead threw his four children off a bridge south of Mobile AL and killed them all.

devil_dog_wife

Proud wife and mama!
I don't care how violent this guy was, or even how big he was. I am 5'4 115lbs and a girl, I would not have just "tried" to stop him, but I would have done everything within my power to get involved. This was a baby, who couldn't even begin to defend himself.

What is this world coming to? 9 people watching a man shake, punch, kick and stomp a baby into the pavement? Sad...

just my 2cents.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
What if one of them had a tire iron? It would have taken care of him too.
+1 for thinking outside of the box. Intervention could have been done with any one of a number of weapons that are not a firearm. The "old person's" cane would have been an ideal weapon, or maybe even "The Club" used to make sure their Buick isn't stolen. One thing that grinds my gears is how people scatter from conflict like a freaking ostrich putting its head in a hole in the ground. There is a lot of chicken$hit out there.

JMMH

Ugh.
As a mother of a baby boy, this makes me sick.
I want Heaven to exist so this little boy can rest easy.

I don't know what I would have done had I driven up to this scene. I don't carry a gun, or a baseball bat, and I don't think I could locate a tire iron. I like to think I'd try to get the boy away from the man. I know I can pick up a 2 year old, I don't know if I could deliver a man-sized beat down.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
As a mother of a baby boy, this makes me sick.
I want Heaven to exist so this little boy can rest easy.

I don't know what I would have done had I driven up to this scene. I don't carry a gun, or a baseball bat, and I don't think I could locate a tire iron. I like to think I'd try to get the boy away from the man. I know I can pick up a 2 year old, I don't know if I could deliver a man-sized beat down.

Just repeatedly go for the nuts...anything's fair game with scum like this.

This reminds me of a CPR course I took. The instructor told us about how, if people aren't trained what to do in emergency situations, they tend to freeze. I experienced this first-hand working at a restaurant when someone choked. The whole place just stood there and nobody did anything except for a co-worker who attempted to assist him, and myself who called the EMTs.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just repeatedly go for the nuts...anything's fair game with scum like this.

This reminds me of a CPR course I took. The instructor told us about how, if people aren't trained what to do in emergency situations, they tend to freeze. I experienced this first-hand working at a restaurant when someone choked. The whole place just stood there and nobody did anything except for a co-worker who attempted to assist him, and myself who called the EMTs.
It's one thing where I think military people have an advantage, at least new ones. We're mostly subjected to a bunch of stress, loud noise, and shouting at the beginning of our careers and I do think it tends to inoculate that somewhat. Plus the mentality of one who would volunteer for military service.

I specifically remember a van full of ROTC Ensigns on our way back from getting our ID cards upon commissioning. Some old guy in a beat-up old coupe had a heart attack or stroke and drifted left of center, smack head-on into an SUV. The guy driving the van pulled over immediately, and there were 15 Ensigns dialing 911 on cells and running toward the crash. Only other people who stopped before the ambulance were a couple of nurses who happened to be passing by. Unfortunately, no one could do much. Not anything I want to see again, for sure. But what stayed with me was that none of us had a second thought, we just ran to help.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's pretty tough to get a concealed weapons permit in California so those that do want to go around packing often cannot. Consequently legally armed citizens are few and far between (more so than in other states)........responsible, law abiding citizens who voluntarily have been trained, and have taken on the responsibility of exercising their constitutional right to bear arms to do so to the maximum extent possible. Really, what is the problem with that?

Last year in a Colorado church shooting one woman legally armed with a pistol neutralized an immediate threat to others and demonstrated the utility of our argument. How many unopposed shootings and random acts of violence are necessary to make us reconsider our restrictive policies on law abiding citizens' abilities to exercise their rights? I guess I am just fantasizing though.

As an aside, I pretty much am just fantasizing, because that security guard was a hot cougar. Makes me miss Pensacola.:D

You have hit on why I have a problem about all of the 'fantasizing'. I would argue that very few citizens period, no matter where you are, are armed. The mere fact that people can point out only a tiny handful of times that a handgun has been used by a private citizen in cases like this underlie that fact.

She was a security guard utilized by the church in that capacity, not just a random bystander who happened to be armed.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Has this become a Pro-Gun / Anti-gun thread?

SDNalgene

Blind. Continue...
pilot
You have hit on why I have a problem about all of the 'fantasizing'. I would argue that very few citizens period, no matter where you are, are armed. The mere fact that people can point out only a tiny handful of times that a handgun has been used by a private citizen in cases like this underlie that fact.

She was a security guard utilized by the church in that capacity, not just a random bystander who happened to be armed.

Correct, and she went to the church as a regular church member before she started serving it in that capacity, IIRC. Moreover, she isn't a law enforcement officer of any type and the church made the conscious decision to have armed security in the aftermath of a random shooting (I think VT, but my memory is fuzzy). My brother was a security guard in college. He had a golf cart, a radio, a cheesy super trooper uniform, and no weapon of any kind. Pointing out that she was a security guard has zero bearing on the gun issue. The church made the decision to be armed to protect its members should the unthinkable occur. I simply think the same decision should be afforded to individuals without undue restriction. If only there was some sort of right to do so guaranteed in some sort of document that set forth ground rules for our society.

And sorry, I didn't mean to turn this into a gun thread, but I felt compelled to respond to the fantasizing comment. Well, time to go to the sims to play my favorite game, Fresnel HiLo, where you make your bet at the abeam and then watch from the start to see which end of the lens the ball flies out. Good times for all....:D

EDIT: She WAS a law enforcement officer in the 90's. She had a license to carry the weapon. She voluntarily served and was not on the church payroll. The decision to have her there armed was at her suggestion after a similar church shooting in Arvada, CO. Now really, off to the sim.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
had a case recently of a grandmother that left a 3 year old and a 6 month old unattended in an apartment for over an hour. the three year old was crying outside when neighbors noticed him. it took 15 minutes of this kid crying and screaming for anyone to do anything about it. I got to the scene and the door to the apartment was opened halfway. I made entry and found the 6 month old on the bed trying to get a pillow off his face so he could breathe. I made contact with the mother who was an hour away and who said she left the kids with the grandmother as she usually does. The grandmother gets home 25 minutes later and wonders whats going on. I arrested her then and there for two counts of abandoning and endangering a child which are felonies. i havent felt that pissed off in a while even towards a prisoner especially since she showed no remorse whatsoever. I personally spoke to the arraigning judge to have him get a feel for what happened and he still gave her a damn PR bond. I was then even more upset.

This kind of stuff really (especially when i see beaten kids) really brings my blood to a boil and it takes a lot to remain composed.

Thank God that cop put that crap stain on humanity's life to an end. Too bad he couldnt have done it sooner.