• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

V-22 Osprey: Wonder Weapon or Widow Maker?

hscs

pilot
I think that the -60S will be availabe once they get the block 3 upgrades (ASE suite) -- Do the phrogs fly with any special setup inside on CASEVAC?

Coota0

None
I think the Army should have been joint partners in the V-22 development, but we were way too enamored with the money-pit Comanche at the time. Comanche consumed all our resources for years.

But the Army will get that fancy ARH-70 out of the program. :)

Lawman

None
I think the Army should have been joint partners in the V-22 development, but we were way too enamored with the money-pit Comanche at the time. Comanche consumed all our resources for years.

The Army purchase of a tilt-rotor is just a matter of time, its just to revolutionary and to many capabilities are granted for them to never touch it. It may not be the V-22 but it'll be something. Passing on tilt rotor now would be like them passing on Helo's 50 years ago. Its just a matter of the Air Force and Marines getting them into action and having the critics eat their hats.

Coota0

None
The Army purchase of a tilt-rotor is just a matter of time, its just to revolutionary and to many capabilities are granted for them to never touch it. It may not be the V-22 but it'll be something. Passing on tilt rotor now would be like them passing on Helo's 50 years ago. Its just a matter of the Air Force and Marines getting them into action and having the critics eat their hats.

I agree. The Army may not use the V-22 in a lot of roles, but even if it was just bought to be used by the 160th I believe the Army will buy it. I also recall seeing a concept of a larger four rotor model that was proposed as a replacement for the Army's current cargo planes.

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
My psychic tells me that in 5 years, the Marine Corps will purchase 30 used CH-47s from the Army/Air Force. That will reduce the average age of a fleet helicopter to 28.4 years.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
My psychic tells me that in 5 years, the Marine Corps will purchase 30 used CH-47s from the Army/Air Force. That will reduce the average age of a fleet helicopter to 28.4 years.
Mine said the same thing ... also something about bringing a few OV-10s back too ...

phrogpilot73

I think that the -60S will be availabe once they get the block 3 upgrades (ASE suite) -- Do the phrogs fly with any special setup inside on CASEVAC?
Yes, the Phrogs fly with a special setup - not all that special though. We have stanchions that mount inside the aircraft. Fully configured for CASEVAC, we can carry up to 15 litters. When you figure that we have to carry XM-218s in combat, normally you will see 6-9 litters. The stanchions when set up can carry 3 litters each.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
But the Army will get that fancy ARH-70 out of the program. :)

Fancy? Are you joking? The ARH-70 is a Bell 407 with some additional avionics and hard points on the skids. It's NOT fancy. The Army is not getting a state of the art helicopter out of the deal. The ARH-70 will be a solid addition to Army Aviation and replace the worn out OH-58D's - but depending on who you talk to the ARH-70 doesn't measure up to what the 58D's can do.

Nothing fancy about it!

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Yes, the Phrogs fly with a special setup - not all that special though. We have stanchions that mount inside the aircraft. Fully configured for CASEVAC, we can carry up to 15 litters. When you figure that we have to carry XM-218s in combat, normally you will see 6-9 litters. The stanchions when set up can carry 3 litters each.

Ughhhhh.. litter stanchions. Anyone who has ever flown or maintained a '46 knows what an aggrevation those things are!

So what happened to all the sound proofing/insulation blankets? Gotta love the fancy interior of wire bundles and hydraulic lines.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Fancy? Are you joking? The ARH-70 is a Bell 407 with some additional avionics and hard points on the skids. It's NOT fancy. The Army is not getting a state of the art helicopter out of the deal. The ARH-70 will be a solid addition to Army Aviation and replace the worn out OH-58D's - but depending on who you talk to the ARH-70 doesn't measure up to what the 58D's can do.

Nothing fancy about it!
I thought LUH was just supposed to be a bare-bones helo... did I get that wrong?