• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

V-22 Osprey: Wonder Weapon or Widow Maker?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Vrs

As a side note - if any of you ever earn your ATP Helo rating, you actually have to demonstrate recovery from a vortex ring state condition, recognition of the condition, and demonstrate recovery. I did the check ride in a TH-57, and we went to altitude (2000') pulled into essentially a hover with the known winds at our tail, and settled into a 1000 FPM rate of descent. Applying power/collective did indeed aggravate the rate of descent (actually no sh!t surprised me how dramatic it was). It was all I could do to not instinctively yank on the collective - and had to force myself to reduce power and push the nose over and fly out of the VRS. I always wondered why we did not incorpoate that manuever or at least demo it in the HT's - as it is required for civillians undergoing training in their little R-22's.

Below is the procedure from the Practical Test Standards...don't let the nomenclature confuse you. The FAA actually uses the term "Settling With Power" to describe Vortex Ring State....

E. TASK: SETTLING-WITH-POWER
REFERENCES: Part 61; AC 61-13; Pilot's Operating Handbook,
Flight Manual.
Objective. To determine that the applicant:
1. Exhibits adequate knowledge of the conditions which
contribute to, and may result in, ‘‘settling-with-power.”
2. Describes the relationship of gross weight, RPM, and
density altitude to the severity of the vertical rate of
descent.
3. At an altitude above 1,500 feet (450 meters) AGL or as
recommended by the manufacturer if it is higher,
demonstrates entry into ‘‘settling-with-power,” using the
recommended procedures in the correct sequence.
4. Recovers immediately at the first indication of ‘‘settlingwith-
power,” using the recommended procedures in the
correct sequence.
5. Demonstrates smooth, positive

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Correct me if I am wrong, but won't the UH-1Y be able to take up a lot of the work in the CASEVAC role?

The "new" hotrod T-700's (According to Bell = 125% more payload and 50% more range) should allow it to actually put PAX in the back and STILL do stuff (like clear the hills around MCAS Pendleton?)

Also, the length of the blades is 48 feet, which is smaller than the phrog if CALs are a big issue.