• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

VA-44 Scrapbook courtesy BusyBee

brownshoe

Contributor
BusyBee604 has sent me some photos he wants to share with you. They are near and dear to me as well... VA-44 stuff!:)

Steve

Attachments

• Rosy Roads 1969.jpg
    Rosy Roads 1969.jpg
    657.7 KB · Views: 473
  • Rosy Roads1.jpg
    Rosy Roads1.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 380
  • Dowty & Hugh2.jpg
    Dowty & Hugh2.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 414

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
What's with the huge nametapes in pic #1? Was that standard way back in the way back?

brownshoe

Contributor
What's with the huge nametapes in pic #1? Was that standard way back in the way back?

That's nothing! I saw names on flightsuits written in Magic Marker. 'course it was the 60's:) The Navy was a bit different back then.;)

Maybe one of the old "O" guys will chime in and explain, I was a ground pounder.

Steve

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think it was an "East Coast" thing for a few years. I don't think anybody on the west coast debased their bags or themselves that way, back in the day. :)

Can you spot the East Coast F-4 drivers and wannabees from the superior West Coast F-4 drivers in this pic? Piece of cake, ain't it. ;)

tgclass1.jpg

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It was what the RPs in the East Coast RAG were issued. Why, I have no idea. Something to do with Airlant (this was my only East Coast tour). I was wearing my old West Coast combat fatigues. Go Airpac!:)

brownshoe

Contributor
To BusyBee604 From Derf.

Hugh,

This is for you, a walk down, Memory Lane. Derf sent this to me last night and asked me to post it for him. Here is 427 in the background and of course our intrepid friend Derf in the foreground. Just think, Hugh, you entrusted your butt to intelligent ground crew such as this!:) Good ole, Derf!:D

Steve

Attachments

• derf&427.jpg
    derf&427.jpg
    319.7 KB · Views: 346

BusyBee604

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks Derf

Hugh,

This is for you, a walk down, Memory Lane. Derf sent this to me last night and asked me to post it for him. Here is 427 in the background and of course our intrepid friend Derf in the foreground. Just think, Hugh, you entrusted your butt to intelligent ground crew such as this!:) Good ole, Derf!:D

Steve
Wow, a new use for the refueling probe! Looks like you guys had a ball in VA-44. I guess I just missed you guys, I arrived in January 1968.
Gotta say I never saw or heard of a squadron that had more accidents (non-combat) in the two years I was there. Many of us thought the Squadron was jinxed. I couldn't wait to get back to the "Left Coast"! I must admit I enjoyed the Yuma & Roosy Roads Weapons Dets. though. We called the Det. flyaway to Roosy, "The Bermuda Triangle Bacardi Run"! ;)
BzB

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Talk about unsafe, no cranial, PPE or safety observer.

;)

brownshoe

Contributor
Hugh,

Fred was still there in 68; I separated in Dec 67 (early out).

During my time I only knew of one really bad mishap, and it was pilot error. I must admit though, I did a pre-flight on one plane fresh from the hangar that I downed and wouldn’t send up.

Fred and I just thought that you might enjoy the picture.:)

Steve

BusyBee604

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dual Purpose Probe

Wow, a new use for the refueling probe! Looks like you guys had a ball in VA-44. I guess I just missed you guys, I arrived in January 1968.
BzB
Another use for the A-4 probe:

RicePaddy Rifle Range Target - NvN 03/66:eek:
BzB

Attachments

• Battle Damage-2.jpg
    Battle Damage-2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 230

BusyBee604

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Holy Crap!!! :eek: Lookin' at the entry angle on the hole to the right, that thing was headin' fer someones' nuts...
As it was, had no idea I had been hit. Didn't find out until after landing aboard. It could have been a disaster had I required air refueling before landing & not being aware of that hole, the leaking fuel under pressure would have streamed out, vaporized & been drawn into the starboard intake ...kaboom!:eek:
Fortunately, Scooters rarely needed refueling upon return. Good thing too, 'cause the tankers always had their hands full topping off our returning Pfantums after their trolling for MIGs with burners aglow...lol:p
BzB