• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

VA-44 Scrapbook courtesy BusyBee

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is pic #2 in Cubi Point?
creepto, Pic #2 I was taxiing out at Roosevelt Roads for a weps trng hop to Vieques target-1969
Pic #1 Was our VA-44 (RAG) weps det. at Roosy.
Pic #3 Weps Dept Office on USS MIDWAY (BzB on rt.) 1971 westpac

Attachments

• Patch VA-44.jpg
    Patch VA-44.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 596

Pugs

Back from the range
None
BB604,

I'm a big fan of aviation art, particularly the early jets. What's the story on your avatar? Was that a full size print/painting at one point and if so I'd love to have the artists name and see if he had other work.

BusyBee604

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
BB604,

I'm a big fan of aviation art, particularly the early jets. What's the story on your avatar? Was that a full size print/painting at one point and if so I'd love to have the artists name and see if he had other work.
The painting was full size est. maybe 3' X 4', by aviation artist Ron McCarthy of Chandler, AZ. It was done in the late '80s. It wasn't done for me. By chance he had read the BzB604 shootdown story, contacted me and asked if he could use my ejection as the subject for a painting to enter in an Aviation Artist competition in Washington DC. I acted as advisor contributing photos, planform drawings, models, livery, everything he needed to make it authentic. He gave me another original WWI dogfight painting for my time & effort & I took a photo of his BzB painting before he left for DC (my avatar). That's the last time I had contact with him. I have no phone# for him, but you could check Directory Assistance for Chandler AZ or maybe a Chandler city directory in a local Library.
I heard that it won a top prize in the competition & is/was hanging in the Aviation section of the Smithsonian in DC. Brownshoe is going to research the Smithsonian to see if we can buy a couple of high quality lithographs.
If you PM me your e-mail address I'll send you the photo plus a few others you may find interesting. BTW, I have an audio CD of all the SAR frequency radio transmissions including the shootdown & complete SAR rescue efforts as recorded by our E-2.:eek: I can burn copies.
BzB

Pugs

Back from the range
None
I heard that it won a top prize in the competition & is/was hanging in the Aviation section of the Smithsonian in DC. Brownshoe is going to research the Smithsonian to see if we can buy a couple of high quality lithographs.

If you PM me your e-mail address I'll send you the photo plus a few others you may find interesting. BTW, I have an audio CD of all the SAR frequency radio transmissions including the shootdown & complete SAR rescue efforts as recorded by our E-2.:eek: I can burn copies.
BzB

I'm near Baltimore and we get down there a few times a year. I'll see if I can find it too. PM on the way very interested in the event and your story!

brownshoe

Contributor
I'm near Baltimore and we get down there a few times a year. I'll see if I can find it too. PM on the way very interested in the event and your story!

Pugs,

I found the artist yesterday he and I have spoken on the phone several times, as late as this evening at 4:30, Hugh (BusyBee604) and I have also chatted on the phone today as well, we're trying figure out the best way to have good copies made. BTW, Pugs, Hugh has a painting he'd like to send you, done by the artist who did his painting, WWI stuff, if you'd like?

Heyjoe, please PM a phone number where I can reach you tomorrow, I need your help in getting copies made of BusyBee604's painting, we're all at a loss (too much for email).

Steve

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pugs,

I found the artist yesterday he and I have spoken on the phone several times, as late as this evening at 4:30, Hugh (BusyBee604) and I have also chatted on the phone today as well, we're trying figure out the best way to have good copies made. BTW, Pugs, Hugh has a painting he'd like to send you, done by the artist who did his painting, WWI stuff, if you'd like?

Heyjoe, please PM a phone number where I can reach you tomorrow, I need your help in getting copies made of BusyBee604's painting, we're all at a loss (too much for email).

Steve

I'm in DC area. Check PM.

BusyBee604

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fo' de "Shew"!

BTW, Ron and I talked Friday, he's mailed me the paper samples for the prints, I should get them early next week, I'll get them out to you right away, we'd like your opinion. And as you could see, Ben loved the t-shirt. (Me too!:))

Steve
Shoe, no need to send me samples unless you really want to. I know ZIP about {paper quality etc.}, I'll go with what you like. Glad you guys like the Ts, I was quite happy with his work/prices.:)

Go S.D.Padres.....:sleep_125

BzB

brownshoe

Contributor
Shoe, no need to send me samples unless you really want to. I know ZIP about {paper quality etc.}, I'll go with what you like. Glad you guys like the Ts, I was quite happy with his work/prices.:)

Go S.D.Padres.....:sleep_125

BzB

Gotcha, Ron and I will take the next step and have the prints made.:)

Steve

Derf

Not a whole lot to say. I've been looking over some of BusyBee's stuff. I was in VA 44 on the line until June 1968. Hugh, you'll find this hard to believe but after looking at the picture from Rosie Roads you posted your face and about four others looked real familar to me.

Fred

brownshoe

Contributor
Not a whole lot to say. I've been looking over some of BusyBee's stuff. I was in VA 44 on the line until June 1968. Hugh, you'll find this hard to believe but after looking at the picture from Rosie Roads you posted your face and about four others looked real familar to me.

Fred

Come on give with a few "sea stories.":) Trips to Yuma come to mind. Didn't you take a toothbrush on liberty to Mexico!;)

Steve

Derf

er a, well a, gosh darn Steve, why would a guy have to take a toothbrush to San Luis for? heh heh heh.

Fred