• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

VA-44 Scrapbook courtesy BusyBee

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You're right...

Quit your griping. Things could be worse. You could all be Pirates fans, like me.:D

P.S. We need some more sea storys. Got to learn real History somehow.
Things could always be worse, but whiners like me ALWAYS need something to bi*&h about!:confused:
RE:History...more stories will be forthcoming, but fairly slowly as my typing skills/speed are greatly limited due to severe arthritis in the hands/fingers. I'll do my best in sharing my really unique/strange aviation (& non) experiences. I came here to AW to share/teach/learn, that's my bag.:icon_smil
BzB

brownshoe

Contributor
Got the following e-mail from, BuzyBee604 containing this funny video he wanted me to post for him. BTW, Hugh's just kidding about being the actor, says he wasn't good looking enough. I kinda snuck this post in here on the VA-44 thread because of the "Lady Lex." (KbayDog, Hugh sez how 'bout breakfast sometime? Wish I could join you two. Call me when you can, I know you're traveling, I'll fill you in on the details.)

Steve

Hugh's e-mail:

"Shoe, take a look of this old cig ad a friend sent me. It's funnier than hell & would be great to post on AW. I don't know how to post, would you do it? Also, parts of it were filmed on your "Lady Lex"! Tell 'em BzB played the bit part of the pilot back in the day."

Lol "Lucky" Hugh

Link:

Derf

Hello Steve. The video was interresting. Also the Squadron picture that Hugh posted. He had made Lt. Commander. neat stuff huh?

Derf

Hugh, in the Squadron picture you posted, on the left column, 5th picture down. The Lt. Commander with the glasses on. Am I mistaken or didn't he get his legs broken assisting an automobile accident off base. He wasn't a pilot either, correct? is Mike Falcon still aboard for this picture, and if yes is that him right above your picture? Been so darn long ago and you guys look a lot different in dress than in flight uniforms.
Fred

brownshoe

Contributor
Hello Steve. The video was interresting. Also the Squadron picture that Hugh posted. He had made Lt. Commander. neat stuff huh?

Yeah, I remember some of the faces but don't remember all of the names.:) Hugh and I were just speaking on the phone, the AF pilot (bottom row) was a full-blooded Indian, I don't remember him, maybe you do. I remember an AF exchange pilot, nice guy, sent him out a few times, but it's not this guy in the photo. This guy in the photo was there, I guess, after I'd separated from the squadron. Okay... now give with the "drunk fest" sea story that took place in Yuma!!! Or do I have to copy and paste your e-mail:D (Don't dare me!)

Steve

Edit: Either of you remember, Jim Karg?

Derf

Yeah, I remember some of the faces but don't remember all of the names.:) Hugh and I were just speaking on the phone, the AF pilot (bottom row) was a full-blooded Indian, I don't remember him, maybe you do. I remember an AF exchange pilot, nice guy, sent him out a few times, but it's not this guy in the photo. This guy in the photo was there, I guess, after I'd separated from the squadron. Okay... now give with the "drunk fest" sea story that took place in Yuma!!! Or do I have to copy and paste your e-mail:D (Don't dare me!)

Steve

Edit: Either of you remember, Jim Karg?

What the heck. Go ahead and post the e mail. I gotta go. Gotta be at a district baseball game at the stadium in a few. Check in later.
Fred

brownshoe

Contributor
What the heck. Go ahead and post the e mail. I gotta go. Gotta be at a district baseball game at the stadium in a few. Check in later.
Fred

Naw, Fred, you tell the story, it's funny, these guys will just have to wait.:) Besides, Hugh might have been on that DET!

Steve

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hugh, in the Squadron picture you posted, on the left column, 5th picture down. The Lt. Commander with the glasses on. Am I mistaken or didn't he get his legs broken assisting an automobile accident off base. He wasn't a pilot either, correct? is Mike Falcon still aboard for this picture, and if yes is that him right above your picture? Been so darn long ago and you guys look a lot different in dress than in flight uniforms.
Fred[/quote
The LCDR is Charley Janss MCO-LDO, good friend-don't recall the broken leg incident. I saw him at Cecil on a X/C in '74, he retired as a CAPT, unusual for LDO. I think the pic above mine is Mike Falcon. I'm gonna sit down when I get a chance & try to ID the rest. I'll send that to you in e-mail so as not to clutter up this thread.
I don't know Jim Karg. More later.
BzB

Derf

BzB, thank you. I would appreciate that. Mike Falcon kind of took me under his wing for a short time. You're memory is, as they say, quite awesome. It's funny that yours and my lifes were spent together by probally knowing each other only in passing or pertaining to our daily military routine 40 years ago, for a short 6 months, and today we meet up and discuss and hash over what we remember. I have pictures in storage that are here but kind of misplaced that pertain to VA 44, but I'll find and post them. This is the VA 44 scrapbook forum, am I not correct?
Steve, the name Jim Karg. I remember the name but I can't place a face. Fill me in.
Fred [Derf]

Corkyboy

Lcd janss

Lt Commander Janss was in charge of VA-44's line operations in late 66 or early 67, and was kinda' strict if my memory serves me correctly. I recall he once complained that the tow tractor guys were pulling planes on the line so fast that their tailpipes were almost scraping the deck.

On the plus side though, Lt Commander Janss gave us "comp time" for extra hours worked. I usually had more time off than my money could keep up with.

I agree with Derf about having a hard time recognizing the pilots in the picture, out of their flight gear. 40 + years ago doesn't help either. I don't see anyone really old either. For some reason I thought we had some senior flyers approaching 50. Could that be true?

Walt Perine (ex-plane captain)

brownshoe

Contributor
Walt and Derf,

LT. Jim Karg was an IP, a pretty nice guy. He was dressed down one day in the line shack by our XO; he had taken up a plane for a check ride, ran into a COD and started doing canopy rolls, the COD driver called it in. He got into trouble and transferred to the Air Force, did a few more tours in Nam (Thuds) before he retired. He flew for an airline, I can't remember which one, it's been years since I chatted with him on the phone. Maybe you will remember him by his black MGA.:D He and I used to play car tag on, 103rd all the time.:)

Steve

Derf

Lt Commander Janss was in charge of VA-44's line operations in late 66 or early 67, and was kinda' strict if my memory serves me correctly. I recall he once complained that the tow tractor guys were pulling planes on the line so fast that their tailpipes were almost scraping the deck.

On the plus side though, Lt Commander Janss gave us "comp time" for extra hours worked. I usually had more time off than my money could keep up with.

I agree with Derf about having a hard time recognizing the pilots in the picture, out of their flight gear. 40 + years ago doesn't help either. I don't see anyone really old either. For some reason I thought we had some senior flyers approaching 50. Could that be true?

Walt Perine (ex-plane captain)

Hi Walt, good to see you posting. Dang, I guess at 18 and 19 years of age everybody over 30 looked old to us. Remember a guy called Buckwheat? He drove a hopped up 67 Camaro. I thought at the time that he looked good for an old guy of 30. By the way I still need to answer your last e mail and will when things lighten up at school. Retiring again June 30th.
I spent 3 months in the GSE shack. Lt. Janss pulled my white license for what he called hot rodding. I was one of those pulling the planes out of the fuel islands too fast. My attitude with Lt. Janss probally had more to do with it though.

Fred [Derf]

Derf

Walt and Derf,

LT. Jim Karg was an IP, a pretty nice guy. He was dressed down one day in the line shack by our XO; he had taken up a plane for a check ride, ran into a COD and started doing canopy rolls, the COD driver called it in. He got into trouble and transferred to the Air Force, did a few more tours in Nam (Thuds) before he retired. He flew for an airline, I can't remember which one, it's been years since I chatted with him on the phone. Maybe you will remember him by his black MGA.:D He and I used to play car tag on, 103rd all the time.:)

Steve

Steve, used to play car tag on 103rd also. One night me and Ronnie Anderson were messing with some guys from VA 174, you know passing each other up, and they tried to force us off the road. Ronnie got p oed and we passed them back up and after when got through the gate and down the road a piece, Ronnie blocked the road and and he got out and said, Come on Fred. We went back to their car, Ronnie on the drivers side and I went the passenger side. When they tried to get out we blocked the doors. There were four of them and I was scared shitless. Ronnie had words with the driver and we got back in his car. Never heard anymore. I thought for sure we would have repercussions.

Sounds like Lt. Karg should have been with us in the line shack. Doing barrel rolls sounds pretty innocent to me.

Fred