• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

VA-44 Scrapbook courtesy BusyBee

Derf

That's it! Remember, Fred? I played in a band there with Lonnie Vessel.:D

Steve

I think I told you how I snuck in there when I was 19 with a 23 yr. old girl, well lady, from New York and you guys played 96 Tears for me, re Lonnie Vessel. Just think, if that was now instead of then, your band would have been Rap and you would have braids and your pants falling down around your knees. The song would have been "96 Tears B!tch."

Fred

brownshoe

Contributor
I think I told you how I snuck in there when I was 19 with a 23 yr. old girl, well lady, from New York and you guys played 96 Tears for me... Fred

I remember!:) Really good to see you here Derf, it's really nice to see you posting, please post more often.:) I'll hunt you down!:D

I’m off for tonight, 4 AM comes early.

Steve

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Derf

Not a whole lot to say. I've been looking over some of BusyBee's stuff. I was in VA 44 on the line until June 1968. Hugh, you'll find this hard to believe but after looking at the picture from Rosie Roads you posted your face and about four others looked real familar to me.

Fred
Who started that bit about San Luis? It made me thirsty for an "Algadones Cocktail"! If I recall (40 yrs ago) it was a huge pickle jar filled with gin, pickled eggs, and a rattlesnake head, all of which have marinated for MONTHS before serving. They always kept a big jar of same at the MCAS Yuma club bar. I miss Yuma!;)
LT Watford & LT Schufeldt were IPs in that picture. You may recognize them. I got to VA-44 in Jan. '68 as an IP.
BzB

brownshoe

Contributor
Who started that bit about San Luis? It made me thirsty for an "Algadones Cocktail"! If I recall (40 yrs ago) it was a huge pickle jar filled with gin, pickled eggs, and a rattlesnake head, all of which have marinated for MONTHS before serving. They always kept a big jar of same at the MCAS Yuma club bar. I miss Yuma!;)
LT Watford & LT Schufeldt were IPs in that picture. You may recognize them. I got to VA-44 in Jan. '68 as an IP.
BzB

Fred,

You and Hugh continue I'm off to La La land ... I’m off for tonight, 4 AM comes early..:D Hugh's a great guy.

Steve

Derf

BzB

Hugh, I had to be your plane captain at one time or another. My last six months in the Navy ,Jan. 1968 til June 1968, were spent on the line as a plane captain and I made many dets to Yuma and the Lady Lex. I had forgotten about the "Algadones Cocktail", really didn't know the name of that concoction but remember seeing that nasty looking stuff in San Luis.
Was Lt. Mike Falcon still aboard at 44 when you were there? I can tell some stories on him but wouldn't dare tarnish his "foot of the cross "reputation.

Fred

BusyBee604

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
LT Mike Falcon

Hugh, I had to be your plane captain at one time or another. My last six months in the Navy ,Jan. 1968 til June 1968, were spent on the line as a plane captain and I made many dets to Yuma and the Lady Lex. I had forgotten about the "Algadones Cocktail", really didn't know the name of that concoction but remember seeing that nasty looking stuff in San Luis.
Was Lt. Mike Falcon still aboard at 44 when you were there? I can tell some stories on him but wouldn't dare tarnish his "foot of the cross "reputation.

Fred
Derf, sure do remember Mike Falcon (great name for a NA, no?). Neat guy, but I remember his wife Carolyn even more...she was a knockout (model)!Woo woo.:eek:
Also remember Mike flying overhead during a VA-44 Sqdn picnic at the Cecil Park. He was arriving from a quick run to NAS Brunswick, Maine with a blivot (300 gl drop tank) full of live Maine lobsters. We were standing by with 2 huge cauldrons of boiling water. 45 minutes later, the lobsters entered the pots! What a feast...Lobster, butter & cold JAX beer. Don't get much better than that!
I have no doubt that you sent me out numerous times during the first 6 mos. of '68. Also my flite logs show 2 Yuma Dets during that time. We didn't start the Rosy roads Dets until '69.
Thanks for "taking care" of me on the line, & for your service. Ah jist loved me PCs!;)
BzB

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Shoe, no need to send me samples unless you really want to. I know ZIP about {paper quality etc.}, I'll go with what you like. Glad you guys like the Ts, I was quite happy with his work/prices.:)

Go S.D.Padres.....:sleep_125

BzB

Sir, it was a good run the Padres made the first two weeks, until they came back to earth. I am really hoping the new owner opens up the checkbook to lure in some bats to San Diego.

Fellow Padres fan.

Derf

Derf, sure do remember Mike Falcon (great name for a NA, no?). Neat guy, but I remember his wife Carolyn even more...she was a knockout (model)!Woo woo.:eek:
Also remember Mike flying overhead during a VA-44 Sqdn picnic at the Cecil Park. He was arriving from a quick run to NAS Brunswick, Maine with a blivot (300 gl drop tank) full of live Maine lobsters. We were standing by with 2 huge cauldrons of boiling water. 45 minutes later, the lobsters entered the pots! What a feast...Lobster, butter & cold JAX beer. Don't get much better than that!
I have no doubt that you sent me out numerous times during the first 6 mos. of '68. Also my flite logs show 2 Yuma Dets during that time. We didn't start the Rosy roads Dets until '69.
Thanks for "taking care" of me on the line, & for your service. Ah jist loved me PCs!;)
BzB

Hugh, I never got to meet Mike's wife but I was told she was a beauty. I made Plane Captain of the Month, can't remember when now, but went through the training to go for a flight in the TA 4F. Mike found out I was getting a ride and requested to be my pilot. He told me to be sure and eat breakfast because he was gonna make me puke. Well, I faked him out. I didn't eat. He made some manuvers that made me aware of what the G Suit was all about. He was surprised when we landed that I hadn't filled the puke bag. But Hugh, I sure got the dry heaves though. What a great guy. I'll never forget that flight or him. I had heard he was killed in Vietnam but I never saw his name on the wall or found out exacally what ever happened to him. Do you Know?
I've got some more stories about me and the infamous Mike Falcon on future posts.
It was a pleasure taking care of you and other A 4 drivers and you are very welcome.
You guys became my heroes the first time I was aboard the Lady Lex for carrier qualls and saw my pilots take off and land on that damn thing. I still don't how you did it. One thing that always got me was " It wasn't where it was when you left it." A moving landing strip. Go figure.
Good night for now,
Fred [Derf]

BusyBee604

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Rufes

Sir, it was a good run the Padres made the first two weeks, until they came back to earth. I am really hoping the new owner opens up the checkbook to lure in some bats to San Diego.

Fellow Padres fan.[/quote
I agree.... our starters (Peavy/Young) are taking their lumps in the press, but in reality they wouldn't look near as bad if they got SOME support offensively. It's tough to pitch effectively when you know that if you only allow 1-3 runs for 6/7 innings, you're likely to be a loser. Definiitely need a thunder bat or two to compete.:(
BzB

JIMC5499

ex-Mech

Fellow Padres fan.[/quote
I agree.... our starters (Peavy/Young) are taking their lumps in the press, but in reality they wouldn't look near as bad if they got SOME support offensively. It's tough to pitch effectively when you know that if you only allow 1-3 runs for 6/7 innings, you're likely to be a loser. Definiitely need a thunder bat or two to compete.:(
BzB

Quit your griping. Things could be worse. You could all be Pirates fans, like me.:D

P.S. We need some more sea storys. Got to learn real History somehow.

BusyBee604

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
VA-44 "O" Board

Not a whole lot to say. I've been looking over some of BusyBee's stuff. I was in VA 44 on the line until June 1968. Hugh, you'll find this hard to believe but after looking at the picture from Rosie Roads you posted your face and about four others looked real familar to me.

Fred
Heres a Roster Board of photos made for the "Hornets" Change of Command when CDR/CAPT Joe Adkins was relieved by CDR Jack Wynn in Jan '69. The Officers are not labled, but you may recognize some of them if you blow up the pic. You (Derf & Shoe) would probably recognize Maint. Off. CDR (later RADM) Tom Brown & Ass't MO LCDR Ben Rangio. My photo 3rd from left, bottom row. BTW, the USAF exchange pilot shown is CAPT Mike Korte, a Native American-really "good stick" and a lot of fun to be around. See how many you can remember!:confused:
BzB

Attachments

• VA-44 Officers.jpg
    VA-44 Officers.jpg
    412.4 KB · Views: 74