• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Voluntary Separation Pay

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I guess they don't want all of us anymore!

R 061101Z JUN 06 ZYB MIN ZYW
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC//N1//
TO NAVADMIN
RHMFIUU/CNO WASHINGTON DC//N1//
RUENAAA/CNO WASHINGTON DC//N1//
BT
UNCLAS //N01760//
NAVADMIN 164/06

GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. THIS NAVADMIN ANNOUNCES THE ESTABLISHMENT OF A VOLUNTARY SEPARATION PAY (VSP) PROGRAM FOR THE NAVY. AN INTEGRAL PART OF NAVY'S FORCE SHAPING EXECUTION STRATEGY, VSP IS A FINANCIAL INCENTIVE TOOL DESIGNED FOR OFFICERS WITH AT LEAST SIX AND NOT MORE THAN 12 YEARS OF ACTIVE SERVICE IN CERTAIN OVERMANNED COMMUNITIES/SKILLS TO VOLUNTARILY SEPARATE FROM ACTIVE DUTY.
2. THE OBJECTIVE OF THE VSP PROGRAM, ALONG WITH OTHER FORCE SHAPING INITIATIVES, IS TO HELP THE NAVY MEET END STRENGTH REQUIREMENTS AND ASSIST IN CORRECTING INVENTORY IMBALANCES IN PAY GRADE AND LENGTH OF SERVICE/SKILL MIX. OFFICERS WHO VOLUNTEER TO PARTICIPATE IN THE PROGRAM AND ACCEPT A VSP PAYMENT UPON SEPARATION MUST SEPARATE NO LATER THAN 30 SEP 06. SINCE VSP WILL BE USED TO MEET SPECIFIC PERSONNEL FORCE SHAPING OBJECTIVES, IT IS NOT EXPECTED TO BE OFFERED EVERY FISCAL YEAR. PER REFS A THROUGH C, AUTHORITY TO CARRY OUT A VSP PROGRAM EXPIRES 21 DEC 2008.

Rest of message is HERE

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
30 grand...yeah that'll just about cover your airline tickets to go to interviews...

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The max amount of a bid can be 2X the normal separation pay. LINK

So as I figure it, that is $96,500 max for me. (0.10 x years of active service x 12 months x monthly basic pay). Formula is from HERE

FatKid

VSP message is on the street. RUMINT has it that the Navy is shedding 500 or so officers. Some kind of auction where the lowest bidders get out but at the highest of the low bids (??). I haven't seen the $ figure yet but I have my fingers crossed.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
The navadmin talks about "aviation officers serving in a non-flying designator..." I wonder if stuff like the Pentagon or staff billets are verboten for shore tours now.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The max allowed is 2 times the normal severance pay. The normal severance pay formula can be found in the second link on my post above (#3). At 8 1/2 years service, an O-3 max could be up to $96,000.

Is anyone actually going to get the max bid? I don't know. everone selected will get equal to the highest bid selected for separation. But it has the 2X limit. A guy at 6 years has a much lower max possible than a guy at 12 years. So will the 12 year guy have to stay under the limit for the 6 year guy since they all get the same amount? Again, I don't know. Sounds to me like a way that guys will get screwed into a lower amount.

If you don't get selected will it be a black mark on your record? Will you fall into the "he already wants to get out so lets give him an IA" category? Who knows, but I don't really want to find out. I like my career and want to stick around for now. Too many unknowns for not that much $$$. Thanks but I decline.

FatKid

"Non flying aviators" include all of the 130x's (General Aviation Officers).

I don't know if it covers ROTC and staff jobs (since you still get flight pay).

More RUMINT; For some designators (ie 130x) if you don't take the VSP you will be IRAD in the same timeframe (30 sep 06).

MasterBates

Does IRAD get any sort of pay.

This is not the first time I have heard the IRAD rumor mill fire up.

Here is a question..

WHY DO THE FRS KEEP ON SENDING US 3-4 Nuggets per MONTH!?!??

We have PQMs who have been here over a year, and don't even start workups for another month.

I think the navy is really bad at guesstimating how many pilots we need.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I know of at least one officer/aviator who would be very willing to take this. At 10-12 years, I would have taken it. Of course with 13.5 years in, I'm SOL!!

MasterBates

I'm torn. I am going to a good shore duty, that SHOULD allow me to screen for LCDR/DH if I do well, but I am leaving 1st tour with no "Big Ticket" (DetMO, DetOPS, QAO).

One one hand, I would like to get Big Navy to pay me while I get my Masters (I'm going to ROTC duty), on the other hand I would rather leave with some cash if I am not going to make O4 and get the bonus.

On the other, this probably will not available when I am at the end of my tour. Thankfully, I will be at the end of my obligated service when I am done at USC, so no DST for me IF I get out.

The CO has not sent out the "You are eligible" email yet. Maybe today.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
MasterBates said:
Does IRAD get any sort of pay.

This is not the first time I have heard the IRAD rumor mill fire up.

Here is a question..

WHY DO THE FRS KEEP ON SENDING US 3-4 Nuggets per MONTH!?!??

We have PQMs who have been here over a year, and don't even start workups for another month.

I think the navy is really bad at guesstimating how many pilots we need.

The Nav has ALWAYS had that issue - history repeats itself so often on aviation and officer manning it's just not funny anymore.

Where is the historical/corp. knowledge?