• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

WATCHES: Question for all you Aviators

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
HEY, Younger Brother ... no problem. But just ask yourself this in the final analysis, when you are sitting in your "special" place, late at night, when the room gets dark, and you're crying yourself to sleep (alone) on your pillow because you don't have a "real' date .... just a Breitling that tells you the correct date .... just a wanna-be "classy" watch .... which watch do the "chicks" (whatever that means) recognize as a "quality" watch ... usually worn by a "quality" gentleman ?????

Ask the ladies. I rest my case ...... the Brietling face is too "busy" .... they look too "techno-geek" .... class (i.e., Rolex) is simple, yet expensive. And again, let's compare $$$ value 10 years from now. I didn't think this up all by myself, you know .... :) ....P.S. ..... James Bond NEVER wore a Breitling .... :)
HEY, well, ya know, I guess when you don't have god given good looks like some of the rest of us on here, you need that expensive watch as compensation to lure those ladies on over.

Smilies in effect :D

John

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
I personally wear the Citizen Blue Angel Eco-Drive. Does everything I need it to, never needs a battery, looks fancy, is lightweight, has zulu time, etc.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lots to think about for my next welcome back to America present, I'll let you know in about 8 months what I got.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I personally wear the Citizen Blue Angel Eco-Drive. Does everything I need it to, never needs a battery, looks fancy, is lightweight, has zulu time, etc.

Strangely that thought makes me want to go out and buy a huge wrist watch made of solid steel that runs on gasoline and belches blue smoke.

:eek:

r/
G

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

My Tag is a self-winding model and since I don't wear it day-to-day it doesn't get wound. So, every time I throw it on to go out or dress up I have to reset the time and date. It's annoying, but I suppose if it were an only watch and I wore it all the time it wouldn't be an issue.

phrogpilot73

Right now, a Timex Ironman. But that's just because I'm waiting on my Omega X-33 Speedmaster. Ordered it through a group deal in my Advanced squadron - Omega and Breitling both offer awesome deals to military if you get group buys together. A $2000+ watch for around $600... complete with a custom engraved backplate.
I don't know why you'd get one from your advance squadron. I waited 'till I hit the fleet... I got mine for $895, titanium band and kevlar strap. We tried to order Breitlings last deployment, but you need 25 people to get the discount, as opposed to Omega's 15 people...

Totally off topic, but TACP school sucks now. They've got all kinds of simulators and $hit. We were the first class to use them, we were there from 0730-1700 every day. It sucked.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't know why you'd get one from your advance squadron. I waited 'till I hit the fleet... I got mine for $895, titanium band and kevlar strap.

Uh... because an IP was running the group buy, I wanted a nicer day-to-day watch, and I was already winged so I wasn't paranoid about the "OMG IT HAS WINGS ON IT ILL ATTRITE IF I TOUCH THEM" properties. I ordered it with my name, wings, and winging date on the back. What would waiting till the fleet have gained me?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Easy there, young nugget...

I think he may have been recommending waiting because often times the engraving is a squadron emblem. So getting a watch w/ a training command emblem as a leaving stud isn't all that memorable down the road. If you got one w/ Wings and stuff, then good deal.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Our MEU tried to do a group Omega purchase after our group Breitling purchase fell through. They didnt get too many to go in on it becasue everyone hated the MEU with such a passion. Has anyone tried a Rolex group buy? Usually the going rate for the good deal is a picture of the guys in flgiht suits wearing the watches in front of your aircraft.

Oh and Phrog, TACP days were that long in 2002 as well, the only simulators we had were the call for fire ones that cant recognize voices at all. You will get a break at teh Battalion, they work very easy hours for the most part.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Well, since one EA-6B Bubba was de-gloved during ejection (partly due to the fact that he was wearing a non-break-away watch; read METAL BAND), I always wear a Casio POS ($12 NEX) while flying.

For dress-up, the ROLEX always works well.

ea6bflyr

Believe it or not but Vince was wearing a G-shock when they stepped outside over the Olympics. Talked to him in the hospital and last saw him on the Port Townsend ferry on one of his last days in the Navy. Metal or plastic did not matter the way his hand was caught on the centerline bow.

I wore an Omega Speedmaster for much of my active duty flying. Any scratches only added character.

Pugs

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Believe it or not but Vince was wearing a G-shock when they stepped outside over the Olympics. Talked to him in the hospital and last saw him on the Port Townsend ferry on one of his last days in the Navy. Metal or plastic did not matter the way his hand was caught on the centerline bow.

I wore an Omega Speedmaster for much of my active duty flying. Any scratches only added character.

Pugs

I sit corrected then. I was always told he was degloved by his watch catching on the centerline bow. I could swear someone told me it was a metal watchband....Well, there's one myth busted. Still, I will always wear my plastic POS. Thanks for the real skinny Pugs. BTW, do you know Beaker? He's my OPSO.

ea6bflyr

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Yep, well, if it's the same Beaker. He was a newly reporting instructor at 129 when I was a student just finishing up circa fall of 89 and most of my peers are in post command tours so maybe not.

Plastic is about as flexible as metal when caught at ejection speed and in either case a hand is softer than both. That mishap was a key factor in getting a YRI installed in the jet. Vince is a great guy and had a great attitude
afterward figuring he could easily be dead. As he was a triathlete the Navy made special hands for biking and swimming for him. IIRC Kevin (the brewmaster down in Coupville) was the model for the hand molds.

Pugs

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
HH-60H said:
...Wow, to pick up chicks you used your watch, instead of telling them you were a Naval Aviator?

webmaster said:
HEY, well, ya know, I guess when you don't have god given good looks like some of the rest of us on here, you need that expensive watch as compensation to lure those ladies on over.

Smilies in effect :D

John

*sigh* ..... Gentlemen .... please.

This is the watch I sported during most of my "hunter-gatherer" days .... you will notice the face is, in fact, quite small. It's always been about quality ... not quantity. :)

hamilton7cj.jpg

..... I weep for the future of Naval Aviation ..... The horror .....
an340ku.jpg
.... The HUMANITY ....
apo001ej43343443342yz.jpg