• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

WATCHES: Question for all you Aviators

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Every grunt is the Corps wears a compass on his watch. No idea why. I have an Omega X-33 that we got on the group deal. Both bands for $900. The Breitling deal was a lesser watch for $1200. I bought a fake Breitling in Korea as a joke. It makes me look like Flava-flav.

RLSki

CH-53 Crewchief
If you are into sporty watches, try the Suunto Advisor. It has a Bar Alt, tells barometric pressure for setting your Bar Alt in the aircraft, temp, and best of all, give you heart rate for when you PT.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Harrier Dude said:
Every grunt is the Corps wears a compass on his watch. No idea why. I have an Omega X-33 that we got on the group deal. Both bands for $900. The Breitling deal was a lesser watch for $1200. I bought a fake Breitling in Korea as a joke. It makes me look like Flava-flav.

I might venture a guess . . . but it would stir up an unnecessary hornets nest. :D [And I want Marines to be my friends, because they, more than any others on this earth will protect me, and my family.]

I do know that I had both a wet and magnetic compass in front of me in harms way. I did not need a mini-wrist compass. And if forced to seek another venue via Martin Baker, I had a damn good compass in my survival vest if ever needed.

But once on the ground, I immediately knew compass or not, the direction to run was away from the AK-47 fire, be it 090 or 270! Also, I knew to run from flatland rice paddies, towards karst ridges – from the open to the covered, and to evade. . It was the "eyes" and not the "compass" that would tell this unfortunate, downed pilot where to go.

Suffice it to say that all warriors I have known, regardless of their service, or even the different countries they serve, take great pride in the personally selected timepiece they wear upon their wrist. And rightly so.

Their selection is done with aforethought. It is also something that unites comrades in arms. It is something that despite the diversity of selection still often sets the warrior class apart from the remainder – all other things "hopefully" being equal.

We select our watches like our firearms... with great discretion and aforethougt. Our choices still vary. Still, while we all have our own personal preferences, the general population would likely never understand.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Catmando said:
......once on the ground, ....the ....selection is done with aforethought. It is also something that unites comrades in arms. ...
We select our watches like our firearms... ...we all have our own personal preferences, the general population would likely never understand.
Couldn't have said it better!!! Cat makes beautiful words. Wish I could do as well .... but he's a fighter pilot. I'm an attack pilot. Attack pilots were neither know nor chosen for their flowery prose. :) But ... to continue with his astute line of thinking .... i.e., preflight preparation and selection with aforethought:

...that's why I chose the following survival package while making my way through the jungles and bars in the 'PO , trying to make my way back to friendly lines ... this gear never let me down.

The watch: to tell me when curfew was going down.

The compass: to tell me the correct direction to turn once I walked out the front door of the bar ... i.e., left or right.

The patch: to give to the Jeepney driver when I couldn't walk or talk. Think bloodchit .... :icon_rast

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:

The watch: to tell me when curfew was going down.

The compass: to tell me the correct direction to turn once I walked out the front door of the bar ... i.e., left or right.

The patch: to give to the Jeepney driver when I couldn't walk or talk. Think bloodchit .... :icon_rast

Gentlemen, observe and behold the essential, Mk-1 Mod-0 Basic 'Po survival kit. Don't leave the ship without it!

Thanks A4s . . . I haven't laughed as hard all week.
[And for others, you really had to have been there… ah yes, the sights, the smells, the sounds, the . . . ]

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
From one of the maintenance POs to an RP in my squadron:

- Sir, where'd you get that watch?
- The exchange, why?
- Well, all the other pilots here wear big watches for whatever reason. I like yours because it just does the job and isn't flashy.

Paraphrased, but yeah. Fancy watches are for dinner dress. Your flight watch *will* get dinged up. Plan accordingly.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4s, the "Po Survival Kit" is so true...I miss the old PI port visits.

As an "old guy", this is what I now wear. Why? Because I can afford to.

smallwatchface7ew.jpg

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Harrier Dude said:
I wear my Omega even when I fly. It's not worth having if I don't use it.
Hey, you know ... I even wear mine when I go to the head. ...... 'Cause I can .... It's not worth having if I don't use it.... :)

RX408-NP0.jpg
rolex2.jpg

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Here's the perfect watch, and wearable everywhere:

Not too gaudy to get mugged for in bad places . . . . and this one has indeed been in some bad places!

Not too wussy to wear when working on the car, punching a bag, or mixing cement.

Not too cheap or ugly to wear with mess dress or a tuxedo either.

Not too cheap, and certainly not too 'big' to impress the women.

I wear it to church; I wear it sailing, I wear it shooting, I wore it aboard ship. I wore it in combat. I wear it always – above, below, and at sea level. I have worn it for over three point five decades - and it should be good for a few more. It will outlast me . . . and then it will be my son's. (He doesn't know that yet.) My watch and I have had a lot of close calls, and lots of great stories. We are old friends.

The only problem with this watch is that it's probably older than some of the readers of this post. But that's OK. It still ticks. And I haven't had to wind it in years, so I know I still must be actively ticking too.

Anyway, long ago, my Rolex Oyster Perpetual Date earned its keep.
catwatch.jpg

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
Has anyone ever used/known someone that has used the slide rules on the Brietlings or Omegas in flight?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
GMan1976 said:
audemars piguet...The Rolls fvcking Royce of wristwatches....
Yeah, but if no one knows what it is ... what good is it??? :)

Kind of like those vanity license plates that only YOU get the meaning of ... ???

Lame .... very lame. i.e., the plates, not the watch.

NavyLonghorn

Apparently people who live in Maine have nothing better to do then get custom plates. Ive never seen so many as I did that forsaken state.