• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What are the possibilities?

Hempdiddy

Hello, I'm posting here to share what I understand (so far) about becoming a military aviator and to get some feedback from some of the experienced pilots that post here.

Mainly, I want to know if I can still become a fighter/bomber/recon pilot. I just turned 26 years old, have a B.S. in Urban and Regional Planning with a minor in Geography. My college GPA is 3.2. My health and eyesight are good; 6'0" 170lbs. I graduated school a few years ago, but am realizing sitting behind a desk is not for me. I've always wanted to be a pilot, and if its still an option for me through the armed forces, please let me know.

This is what I understand of the Air Force: enlist, goto OTS (because I already have a degree and need a commission), then ???. At what point can I earn a flight slot? I've read that only a few pilots each year are given a slot from OTS, as the academy and ROTC get first selections...?

HERE IS THE MAIN QUESTION: As a 26 yr.old with no prior flight experience, is flying a jet in the military an option for me? If so, what branch/ road to the cockpit do you suggest?

- Jason "Hempdiddy" Hempel

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
There are several threads on AW that address those very questions. A quick search would give you some good answers.

I do believe that your age is going to be a major problem in getting a commission. Someone else might be able to give you some more details.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You're still young enough and I see you already have your bacheor's degree. This is all good news.

Really, the question comes back to you. What kind of life (as a pilot) are you excpecting and desiring? Don't sweat the lack of flying experience. You may need it for an Air Force slot, but not in the Navy or Marine Corps.

Also, do you think you'd be happy flying helicopters in the Navy or Marine Corps?

46&2

pilot
I have a friend, E-2C pilot whos is 32 and just finished the RAG. So it is possible, however, the x-factor is that the Navy is "fat" on pilots right now and looking for excuses to get rid of the over-abundnace that we have...although they do have to replenish the supply, they have to counter-act that with dwindling their surplus as is. Always try, because desire is half the battle, but check into Air Force and the ANG. Best of luck

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
You're still young enough and I see you already have your bacheor's degree. This is all good news.

But isn't the max age for most commissioning programs 27? That means he has to apply, get selected, and finish OCS (is there any other choice?) in less than a year.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
If he didn't want to be a "fighter/bomber/recon pilot," I'd recommend Army warrant officer.

Hempdiddy

thanks...

thanks for the replies so far. So, am I hearing this right? I should concentrate on Navy or Marine because of my lack of flight experience? Up 'till now I thought Air Force was my best option...

This evening I went to a local Navy office and the recruiter (he was recruiting for enlisted men) pretty much laughed at me when I asked him about flying in the Navy. He told me the Navy doesn't "hire pilots off the street". So, ....

The other thing: My age is or isn't going to be a problem?

I appreciate the help .

- Hempdiddy

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
This evening I went to a local Navy office and the recruiter (he was recruiting for enlisted men) pretty much laughed at me when I asked him about flying in the Navy. He told me the Navy doesn't "hire pilots off the street". So, ....

That is total BS.

pdx

HSM Pilot
His office doesn't hire pilots off the street, but the Navy does get a decent portion of its pilots (like me) that way. Cutoff age is commission by 27.5 (or at least it was when I got selected).

Lack of flight experience is not a problem for the Navy / Marine Corps team. We train to fly the "Navy Way" and civilian experience is not usually a huge asset (there are several threads on this discussion).

I would get the ball rolling as soon as possible, but don't feel rushed and submit things that are not polished (LORs, personal statements, etc).

Don't let anybody discourage you by talking about numbers and the Navy cutting pilots. Even if one year group is being reduced, they are still taking new guys for the next year groups. It has to be that way to keep the experience spread.

Look up an OPO (officer programs office) and start the process. The major stats they look at are GPA and ASTB. The LORs, personal statement, and resume weigh heavily. The PRT is a minor stat for the Navy and a major one for the Marine Corps.

Read more posts on Airwarriors and let us know if you have some more specific questions.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
But isn't the max age for most commissioning programs 27? That means he has to apply, get selected, and finish OCS (is there any other choice?) in less than a year.
Yes, he must be commissioned before he turns 27. I didn't want to give the impression that he can sit back and relax. He's got some work to do, and it's not guaranteed that he'll be able to pull it off in a year. My point was that he isn't already disqualified because of age.

Huggy Bear

pilot
I think 27 is still the cut off. My roommate from years ago got in literally the week before he turned 27. I wouldn't delay. Google Navy Officer Programs and you should find a recruiting spot or a number for somewhere not too far. Most good sized cities have one (or used to anyway). Expect a lot of paperwork, an interview or two, and some lame tests. The pilot tests (can't remember what it is called) you can buy arco books and study for. There used to be some psychology tests as well (would you rather push a lawnmower or go fishing???). The navy promises flight slots to folks before they even get to OCS. That is not to be taken for granted. Midshipmen, only after 4 years of work, find out they can go to flight school. And like stevie wilkins said, you need to be prepared to not get fighters, the navy has more helo pilots than it does hornet pilots. I would also get 5-10 hours in a cessna to find out if flying is something you even enjoy.

Hempdiddy

Look up an OPO (officer programs office) and start the process. The major stats they look at are GPA and ASTB. The LORs, personal statement, and resume weigh heavily. The PRT is a minor stat for the Navy and a major one for the Marine Corps.

Thanks so much for your help so far! Could you help me with some of the acronyms from pdx's post that I dont understand? : ASTB? PRT?

I appreciate it....

jmiller82

Hempdiddy,

Start out with this site, which will give you a good idea of the officer programs available in the Navy. Everyone is right about the age portion: You need to be less than 27 years of age when you receive your commission. This means that if you were to act now and submit your application for a commission as a US Naval Officer, you'd need to do the following:
1. Talk with a recruiter. Find one by going to CNRC (Commander, Naval Recruiting Command) and selecting your closest metropolis.
2. After your nice talk with the OFFICER recruiter, he will want you to take a standardized test, called the ASTB (Aviation Selection Test Battery). You should study for it by getting a book on it at B&N, and also by coming here and doing some research or search for threads with ASTB study guides.
3. Once you're qualified (refer back to the first link for qualifications) for your officer community (job), you'll need to submit all of your documents to the recruiter. This would include transcripts, Letters of recommendation (LOR), birth certificates, legal docs, etc. Do a search of the LOR's here and see what they are looking for.. Remember, they want a well-rounded individual, not some book-worm who has the highest-ranking officers, highest company officials, etc. Show them your past experiences by adding one or two from past employers and close/trusted professionals. You will also have to complete the SF 86 (Nat'l Security Position Questionnaire), or the EPSQ (Electronic Profile Security Questionnaire), depending on the requirements by the recruiter. This will mean you need to dig up the past addresses, names, etc. of every place you've lived at in the past 7-10 years*(7 years for most officer programs/ 10 years for top secret clearance programs). You'll also need to dig up the names & contact info of neighbors who knew you at those addresses, as well as character and personal references who can vouch to the FBI/ US Security Investigations (new contractor for clearances) that you are a good guy. Basically this is the background portion of the application. I'd recommend starting on this quickly (and the transcripts), as it tends to take awhile to dig the info up.
4. The recruiter will submit your application to CNRC for up to three communities (SWO, NFO, NA, IW, Supply, SpecWar, etc.).
5. Assuming your package is "approved," you'll get Professionally Recommended, or pro-rec'd, meaning that particular community wants you. This means your foot is in the door, so to speak.
6. The recruiter will send you to MEPS (Military Entrance Processing Station) to undergo a physical and check your vitals, etc. You'll also need to sign a bunch of docs stating you understand the process, NKO (Navy Knowledge Online), liability, etc. and then you will conduct a PRT. Your scores need to be at least at the Good: Low level to advance on. Start working out now. You can find the requirements for the PRT, according to your age, here.
6. Once you have achieved a sufficient PRT score and have completed MEPS, your package will be sent to CNRC again to be final selected, meaning you will receive orders to OCS and all follow-on training. Depending on the community you are selected for, you will finish OCS and continue to your next station for training (for Aviation community, it is NAS Pensacola, FL).

Keep in mind that the clock is working against you in your case, unless, of course, you just turned 26. Here's the breakdown:

* The application process takes anywhere from 2+ months to over a year, depending on your waivers and your individual case. Try to get everything required into the recruiter's office ASAP, so as to reduce turnaround time.
* There is usually AT LEAST 2 weeks from the time you receive your orders (contract in writing) and swear in to the time you report to OCS.
* OCS takes 13 weeks, culminating in your commission at the last week.

All in all, you're looking at no less than 23 weeks to obtain a commission. While it is difficult, it isn't impossible. Remember that the amount of time and energy you put into it will speed the process up or slow it down. YOU have to decide whether or not you can get the application through in the minimum amount of time. Stay on top of things and hang out at the recruiting station if you have to..

That being said, you need to sit down before you start "The Quest" and weigh out your options. First, you need to assess whether you are willing to make the sacrifices necessary to be a US Naval Officer. There are a few threads on this here at AW (Airwarriors). Second, as some have said before, decide if flying/being a pliot is really what you want. Be prepared to be assigned to something that you don't like - i.e. wanting jets and getting helos, or vice versa. If you are a Pilot/NFO, realize that you might have to undertake a night landing on a carrier at some point (For some the glitz or the "Top Gun effect" of being a Naval Aviator is cool, until the night ops part of the job!). Next, you need to understand that no matter what community you are in, you will NEVER receive the amount of pay equal to or greater than your civilian counterparts. The military, in general, makes up for this in many ways. Try searching on AW or Google or look here to see what the monetary benefits are for serving in the US military. Keep in mind that most links online are going to refer to applicants as enlistees, due to the mere fact that there are more individuals looking for information to enlist.. This still will apply to you (for the most part). Lastly, you need to understand that you will be given something other than monetary or tangible rewards for serving in the US military, something you cannot purchase or match - the pride and sense of loyalty to one's country.

If the Navy is not for you, check into each of the different services to see what types of aviation programs they offer. Here is a start for you:

*US Army: Currently, I believe the US Army only offers warrant officers the opportunity to fly, and it is only rotary wing aircraft (helos). I have heard of some commissioned officers in the Army serving in the Aviation branch, but I don't believe they are actually flying. Try USAREC for some information on how to become a US Army warrant officer.
* The US Air Force offers the opportunity to fly both fixed and rotary wing aircraft to commissioned officers. For more information on how to become a US Air Force officer, goto AFOATS OTS and check out the FAQ's.
* The US Coast Guard offers commissions for aviation as well. Goto the Coast Guard's Recruiting page to find out more about opportunities. Be sure to pay attention to OCS deadlines, as the Coast Guard's OCS deadline is October 16, 2006 for applications.
*The US Marine Corps offers commissions as an officer to those wishing to pursue a career in aviation. You must first goto OCS with the Navy (called OCC I believe), then TBS (The Basic School) with the Marines (I believe this is correct still). Goto the Marines site to view more information on how to become an officer in the Marines Corps.

The US Military receives the same, uniform benefits and pay, so the pay/benefits of each service should not be a factor.. Goto DFAS to view the pay charts and potential incentives.

Some other good sites are:

* usmilitary.about.com
* Military.com
* USNavyOCS.com
* ArmyOCS.com
* FAS.org
* Global Security

Good luck with things, and PM me if you need some help.. I know it can be a bit intimidating as a newcomer to the scene..

Hempdiddy

wow. fantastic post, j_m. Thanks. I'll be asking you some q's as soon as I digest all of that. For now, what is the difference between a pilot and a flight officer?

Thx.

- J