• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What are the possibilities?

Hempdiddy

My last name is Hempel, thats where "Hempdiddy" comes from.

Also, my friend was interested in becoming a police officer at one point in time but he had a DUI and an arrest for driving on a suspended liscence. Hence, he was not accepted into the police training programs (understandably). Do the armed forces take the same stand towards thier pilots?

- Jason

jmiller82

Hempdiddy, The Navy (as well as each other service) has its own way of dealing with backgrounds and checks. They treat all officers as equals, in regards to the background investigation (i.e. same standards for pilot as supply, SWO, etc.). However, when you are going to apply for more secure positions, such as IW (which used to be Cryptology), Intel, or Nuke, you will have a more stringent background investigation, as you will undergo a TOP SECRET clearance, whereas the majority of officers undergo a SECRET clearance (the list goes on and on after TOP SECRET as I'm sure our spooks and IW guys can attest to). Basically, the Navy is more interested in whether or not you DID the deed rather than if you were caught, convicted, etc. It will reflect upon your character if you did do it and have since straightened out, etc. There is a good site that will answer some of your questions:
* There are 4 types of crimes, according to the Navy: Chart A, B, C, D - Minor Traffic; Minor Non-Traffic/Minor Misdemeanors; Non-Minor Misdemeanors; Felonies. Most of these can be waived, but you need to show that you have cleaned up your act and that you are a reputable person capable of leading those who might commit the very same act you did..
To answer your scenario, a DUI would be a non-minor misdemeanor (Chart C) and is waivable (up to three non-minor misdemeanors). The latter (suspended license) would be minor midemeanor (Chart B), and would be fine on its own, but if you have three or more offenses in this category, a waiver is required (up to five). Hope that helps..

BigRed389

None
Hempdiddy, The Navy (as well as each other service) has its own way of dealing with backgrounds and checks. They treat all officers as equals, in regards to the background investigation (i.e. same standards for pilot as supply, SWO, etc.). However, when you are going to apply for more secure positions, such as IW (which used to be Cryptology), Intel, or Nuke, you will have a more stringent background investigation, as you will undergo a TOP SECRET clearance, whereas the majority of officers undergo a SECRET clearance (the list goes on and on after TOP SECRET as I'm sure our spooks and IW guys can attest to). Basically, the Navy is more interested in whether or not you DID the deed rather than if you were caught, convicted, etc. It will reflect upon your character if you did do it and have since straightened out, etc. There is a good site that will answer some of your questions:
* There are 4 types of crimes, according to the Navy: Chart A, B, C, D - Minor Traffic; Minor Non-Traffic/Minor Misdemeanors; Non-Minor Misdemeanors; Felonies. Most of these can be waived, but you need to show that you have cleaned up your act and that you are a reputable person capable of leading those who might commit the very same act you did..
To answer your scenario, a DUI would be a non-minor misdemeanor (Chart C) and is waivable (up to three non-minor misdemeanors). The latter (suspended license) would be minor midemeanor (Chart B), and would be fine on its own, but if you have three or more offenses in this category, a waiver is required (up to five). Hope that helps..

Yeah, I got a flat out "don't bother" for those three.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Again, more bad gouge. You might want to give it a rest until you actually have some experience in the matters that you're giving out information on. Most aviators are going to require a TS clearance. There are plenty of guys who know what they're talking about on AW - why don't you let them do that talking, and you can listen (and learn) for a while. I know you mean well, but this is getting ridiculous.

Brett

jmiller82

Sorry for the bad gouge, Brett.. Just handing it to you as I am told by the officer handling the stuff at CNRC in Millington. I figured since they are actually doing the processing and all that if they told me such, it was the word.. As far as initial accession, I think I am right.. NFO's/Pilots only undergo a SECRET clearance, basically to get them through OCS and "into the door." After OCS (I assume), the TOP SECRET would probably kick in. I know this is true, again, only because I had a bad credit card statement on the cred report and was worried about it on the clearance. The contact there at CNRC (a LT) told me I would not undergo SECRET unless I was in Intel, IW, Nuke, but not in Aviation.. Again, correct me if I am wrong.. I would assume that since a pilot/NFO carries out missions pertaining to nat'l security (bombing, etc.) they'd need to be TOP SECRET..

jmiller82

Hey Brett, when you got to FRS, were you notified of your security clearance or was it something that just fell into place and was assumed? Just wonering.. I want to pay off that dumb@$$ $500 credit card that I cut up a while back - you know the 1st credit card you get when you are a freshman at college.. They set it up with a hot @$$ girl scantily dressed asking if you want a credit card.. SURE!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sorry for the bad gouge, Brett.. Just handing it to you as I am told by the officer handling the stuff at CNRC in Millington. I figured since they are actually doing the processing and all that if they told me such, it was the word.. As far as initial accession, I think I am right.. NFO's/Pilots only undergo a SECRET clearance, basically to get them through OCS and "into the door." After OCS (I assume), the TOP SECRET would probably kick in. I know this is true, again, only because I had a bad credit card statement on the cred report and was worried about it on the clearance. The contact there at CNRC (a LT) told me I would not undergo SECRET unless I was in Intel, IW, Nuke, but not in Aviation.. Again, correct me if I am wrong.. I would assume that since a pilot/NFO carries out missions pertaining to nat'l security (bombing, etc.) they'd need to be TOP SECRET..

Read my post - there's nothing complicated about it.

Brett

jmiller82

Could it be that things have changed since you have gone through either OCS/USNA/ROTC and then onto API/Primary/Intermdiate/Advanced? To lay down the debate, you are right.. EVENTUALLY, you'll need a TS clearance.. But the guy was asking about initial accession and that's what I was talking about

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey Brett, when you got to FRS, were you notified of your security clearance or was it something that just fell into place and was assumed? Just wonering.. I want to pay off that dumb@$$ $500 credit card that I cut up a while back - you know the 1st credit card you get when you are a freshman at college.. They set it up with a hot @$$ girl scantily dressed asking if you want a credit card.. SURE!

Seriously, your posts are the text equivalent of the proverbial annoying guy in a bar who has done way too much blow and can't shut his cake-hole for more than 2 seconds. Please, for the love of God, give it a rest.

Brett

FLYMARINES

Doing Flips and Shit.
pilot
Seriously, your posts are the text equivalent of the proverbial annoying guy in a bar who has done way too much blow and can't shut his cake-hole for more than 2 seconds. Please, for the love of God, give it a rest.

Brett

I knew you our squeeze would chime in about this guy, about time. ;)

Hempdiddy

You guys are awesome!

There seems to be no officer recruiters here in S. Florida. What gives? The numbers I have get no answer or I get told to drive all over the state to meet a guy "halfway". Any advice?

Also, Mr. Navy Man said I may be a good candidate for SWO. Any insights as to what that job is like?

- Jason "Hempdiddy" Hempel

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Also, Mr. Navy Man said I may be a good candidate for SWO. Any insights as to what that job is like?

SWO stands for Surface Warfare Officer. If you do a search for those terms you will find some information about SWO life, but it is kind of biased here on this board. Sailorbob.com is more SWO centric.

jmiller82

Hempdiddy, if you're in S. FL, there is an NRD in Miami. They will have an officer recruiting division there.. If you're closer, there's also an NRD in Jacksonville.. Here's the link to the NRD Miami..

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Seriously, age is a big deal. Call NRD Miami and ask for Officer Programs. If they are not the nearest office to you, they will give you a number. Don't waste any time. Steve is THE resource on SWO here at AW.