• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What's the Deal with the DCO Recruiters?

3onaMatch

I am applying for a DCO slot in Public Affairs and the lack of communication from the recruiter is maddening. I am now on my 4th recruiter and he has gone dark as of 10 weeks ago. Zero progress on my application, as far as I can tell. And yes, I'm a solid, qualified candidate - prior service, public affairs/journalism experience, PhD in English Lit. I even have a security clearance granted (strangely) by the Navy when I applied unsuccessfully for the same slot last year.

Has anyone else experienced this? The board is not until November, but I still need to arrange interviews and update any items from my previous application.

I am wondering if this kind of thing is just typical of the process, and I should just continue to be patient, or if my recruiter is genuinely dropping the ball. I've no way of ever knowing for sure, but I suspect that is what happened the first time I applied -- the recruiter submitted a hastily-assembled package and presented me as a less-attractive candidate. I really don't want that to happen again.

exNavyOffRec

I am applying for a DCO slot in Public Affairs and the lack of communication from the recruiter is maddening. I am now on my 4th recruiter and he has gone dark as of 10 weeks ago. Zero progress on my application, as far as I can tell. And yes, I'm a solid, qualified candidate - prior service, public affairs/journalism experience, PhD in English Lit. I even have a security clearance granted (strangely) by the Navy when I applied unsuccessfully for the same slot last year.

Has anyone else experienced this? The board is not until November, but I still need to arrange interviews and update any items from my previous application.

I am wondering if this kind of thing is just typical of the process, and I should just continue to be patient, or if my recruiter is genuinely dropping the ball. I've no way of ever knowing for sure, but I suspect that is what happened the first time I applied -- the recruiter submitted a hastily-assembled package and presented me as a less-attractive candidate. I really don't want that to happen again.
I know a DCO recruiter, I will see if I can find his contact info since I normally see him at career fairs, if anything I know I will see him in 3 weeks.

The deadline is Nov 8, the board is Dec 4.

There are a few reasons you may have not heard anything.

- Recruiter left.
- Recruiter is just not a good recruiter.
- No quota for PAO, this can happen.
- They tagged you with Do Not Return after the last board, or the OCM said not to proceed.
- There are other applicants that are a higher priority due to better chance of getting picked up.
- Random other reasons.

3onaMatch

I know a DCO recruiter, I will see if I can find his contact info since I normally see him at career fairs, if anything I know I will see him in 3 weeks.

The deadline is Nov 8, the board is Dec 4.

There are a few reasons you may have not heard anything.

- Recruiter left.
- Recruiter is just not a good recruiter.
- No quota for PAO, this can happen.
- They tagged you with Do Not Return after the last board, or the OCM said not to proceed.
- There are other applicants that are a higher priority due to better chance of getting picked up.
- Random other reasons.
Wow, thanks for the good gouge! The odd thing is that I linked up with another DCO recruiter who serves a different geographical area and he requested to take over my application. My current recruiter declined and sent a brief message that I should be seeing interviews soon. That was a month ago now... So strange. Maybe he's just busy and I need to sit tight.

Regarding any tags that may have been placed on my previous application: I can't say, but last year, when I did not get picked up, I asked the recruiter what I could do to improve my application. He said: "Honestly, nothing. You're a great candidate; it's just a numbers game. Try again next year." Since then, my app has been handed off to the new recruiter, who has said most of my materials look good and just need updating. I don't know.

TheClyde

Some takeaways from my application process:
  • Request an initial in-person meeting with the recruiter. This will give you a shot at fixed uninterrupted time to get the lay of the land and level set with each other.
  • Print out the DCO application checklist, bring that to the meeting, and together set general deadlines for when each step should be complete.
  • Ask what is his/her preferred method of being contacted (in my case an email or text often went into any abyss but phone calls were returned quickly)
  • Ask what you can do to make their job easier
After that, if it feels like things are not on track as discussed, use that as a reason to check-in with the recruiter. Keep in mind, your application doesn't matter to anyone as much as you. Your recruiter has a pile of applications to handle. Don't expect the recruiter to drive the process, you drive the process.

For a lot of the time, when I didn't hear updates from my recruiter, I assumed it was because he was waiting on someone else. I didn't want ot be annoying. When I had given him my MEPS paperwork and hadn't gotten a date after a couple of weeks, I assumed, oh if there's an issue he would have followed up and I don't want to bother him. I finally came across a document that says MEPS paperwork reviews should have a few day turnaround time. So I called him and said hey any news on this and he said he'd check...three days later I had a MEPS date. When I got to MEPS and they gave me the paperwork to carry around I saw it hadn't been submitted until the day after I called to follow up! This is not a complaint about the recruiter, the point is that you the applicant need to own the process, yes there will be certain things that you need the recruiter to do, but you are the owner not them.

3onaMatch

• Request an initial in-person meeting with the recruiter. This will give you a shot at fixed uninterrupted time to get the lay of the land and level set with each other.
  • Print out the DCO application checklist, bring that to the meeting, and together set general deadlines for when each step should be complete.
  • Ask what is his/her preferred method of being contacted (in my case an email or text often went into any abyss but phone calls were returned quickly)
After that, if it feels like things are not on track as discussed, use that as a reason to check-in with the recruiter. Keep in mind, your application doesn't matter to anyone as much as you. Your recruiter has a pile of applications to handle. Don't expect the recruiter to drive the process, you drive the process.

For a lot of the time, when I didn't hear updates from my recruiter, I assumed it was because he was waiting on someone else. I didn't want ot be annoying. When I had given him my MEPS paperwork and hadn't gotten a date after a couple of weeks, I assumed, oh if there's an issue he would have followed up and I don't want to bother him. I finally came across a document that says MEPS paperwork reviews should have a few day turnaround time. So I called him and said hey any news on this and he said he'd check...three days later I had a MEPS date. When I got to MEPS and they gave me the paperwork to carry around I saw it hadn't been submitted until the day after I called to follow up! This is not a complaint about the recruiter, the point is that you the applicant need to own the process, yes there will be certain things that you need the recruiter to do, but you are the owner not them.
Thank you for all of this great information! I will pursue what angles I can. My case is a bit different in that I am simply reactivating a previous application in which I didn't get selected. The new recruiter inherited my package. From what I can tell, almost everything is still current, we just need new interviews. That's been the status for about 11 weeks. I've emailed and phoned several times to check in for updates, with little response beyond a periodic two-sentence email. So, I am just holding fast. What choice do I have?

exNavyOffRec

Many recruiters cover vast areas so an in person meeting isn't possible for many applicants.

Pouches

If you direct message me I may be able to put you in contact with an officer recruiter, do you know what NTAG or NORS you are working through?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Wow, thanks for the good gouge! The odd thing is that I linked up with another DCO recruiter who serves a different geographical area and he requested to take over my application. My current recruiter declined and sent a brief message that I should be seeing interviews soon. That was a month ago now... So strange. Maybe he's just busy and I need to sit tight.

Regarding any tags that may have been placed on my previous application: I can't say, but last year, when I did not get picked up, I asked the recruiter what I could do to improve my application. He said: "Honestly, nothing. You're a great candidate; it's just a numbers game. Try again next year." Since then, my app has been handed off to the new recruiter, who has said most of my materials look good and just need updating. I don't know.

Going off your profile, maybe your age had something to do with the non-select?

I think it's very interesting DCO PAO is the only community that has an age cut off of 40, vice 42 like the other programs. And while it does say age waivers/credit for prior service, the 40 cut off might indicate they want someone within that range.

exNavyOffRec

Going off your profile, maybe your age had something to do with the non-select?

I think it's very interesting DCO PAO is the only community that has an age cut off of 40, vice 42 like the other programs. And while it does say age waivers/credit for prior service, the 40 cut off might indicate they want someone within that range.
That is a very good point considering it says no age waivers for non prior service.

3onaMatch

Yep, and it could also explain the ghosting by the recruiters, we all know some do that when a person isn't qualified, or some just don't like to give people bad news.
@FormerRecruitingGuru

I mean these are interesting theories, and I thank you for the input. But why wouldn't the recruiter just tell my age was a factor? That question came up a long while ago and he said it would be fine. Also, why would they have sent me to MEPS, asked me to get LOR's. Heck, why would the Navy grant me a security clearance if it wasn't intending to hire me? Remember, this is my second time applying (so odd that I was granted a clearance and not hired the first time I applied).

I'm 43 with 6 years prior service, so my military age is 37. According to the program authorization, "Applicants must be at least 21 years old and less than 40 at the time of commissioning. Prior qualifying service will be considered for year-for-year credit up to age 50."

If the recruiter is suddenly ghosting me at this late stage in the process (all I need are interviews) because of my age, which is well within regs, then that's a pretty significant misstep on their part.

No, I don't think its my age. I think, for whatever reason, DCO officer recruiters are inherently flaky. No idea why. But that has been my experience. This is number 4.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
@FormerRecruitingGuru

I mean these are interesting theories, and I thank you for the input. But why wouldn't the recruiter just tell my age was a factor? That question came up a long while ago and he said it would be fine. Also, why would they have sent me to MEPS, asked me to get LOR's. Heck, why would the Navy grant me a security clearance if it wasn't intending to hire me? Remember, this is my second time applying (so odd that I was granted a clearance and not hired the first time I applied).

I'm 43 with 6 years prior service, so my military age is 37. According to the program authorization, "Applicants must be at least 21 years old and less than 40 at the time of commissioning. Prior qualifying service will be considered for year-for-year credit up to age 50."

If the recruiter is suddenly ghosting me at this late stage in the process (all I need are interviews) because of my age, which is well within regs, then that's a pretty significant misstep on their part.

No, I don't think its my age. I think, for whatever reason, DCO officer recruiters are inherently flaky. No idea why. But that has been my experience. This is number 4.

Navy recruiting command will rubber stamp and forward most if not all applicants who need program-specific waivers to the board. It is then up to the board to decide to select or non select the candidate, looking at the entire application of course as well as the waiver. An approved waiver DOES NOT mean you will get selected by the board and the board will still look at the waiver and reasoning behind it. Many applicants believe an approved program specific waiver means it is not considered by the board because it’s already approved, that is not the case.

The age waiver math you’re trying to do doesn’t work that way. You’re 43 in military age as well who needs an age waiver.

Recruiters don’t get direct feedback on applicants from the board, but smart ones can identify pain points to where the applicant fell short (qualifications, interview scores, etc.). Smarter recruiters do network with the community managers and senior officers to really identify trends, etc. and to help provide more desired candidates to the selection board.

Another pain point for you the first time applying could have been the interviews. How you do in those can really make or break you, especially if you have a really good resume. I have also seen less than competitive applicants get in for having impressive interview scores.

Based on everything you provided, it doesn’t appear that the education or work experience attributed to the non select.

I’m not trying to defend the four recruiters, since it’s hard to really identify why. I am trying to help figure out why you didn’t get selected the first time.

3onaMatch

Navy recruiting command will rubber stamp and forward most if not all applicants who need program-specific waivers to the board. It is then up to the board to decide to select or non select the candidate, looking at the entire application of course as well as the waiver. An approved waiver DOES NOT mean you will get selected by the board and the board will still look at the waiver and reasoning behind it. Many applicants believe an approved program specific waiver means it is not considered by the board because it’s already approved, that is not the case.

The age waiver math you’re trying to do doesn’t work that way. You’re 43 in military age as well who needs an age waiver.

Recruiters don’t get direct feedback on applicants from the board, but smart ones can identify pain points to where the applicant fell short (qualifications, interview scores, etc.). Smarter recruiters do network with the community managers and senior officers to really identify trends, etc. and to help provide more desired candidates to the selection board.

Another pain point for you the first time applying could have been the interviews. How you do in those can really make or break you, especially if you have a really good resume. I have also seen less than competitive applicants get in for having impressive interview scores.

Based on everything you provided, it doesn’t appear that the education or work experience attributed to the non select.

I’m not trying to defend the four recruiters, since it’s hard to really identify why. I am trying to help figure out why you didn’t get selected the first time.
This is great information. I really wish I could have this kind of conversation with my recruiter. As far as I know, my age isn't an issue. When I applied last year and did not get picked up, I asked my then-recruiter what I could do to improve my application. He said: "Honestly, nothing. You're a great candidate; it's just a numbers game. Try again next year." He said my interview scores were almost perfect, but didn't divulge the exact numbers.

When my current recruiter inherited my package, he said everything looked good. Just send an updated motivational statement and confirm time zone for interviews. I did that. Then, radio silence for two months. After trying to hail him unsuccessfully, I contacted another DCO recruiter from a different region, and he said he would see if he could take over my application. Three days later I received the following email from my current recruiter (this is the entire thing):

"I’ve been focused on IWC applicants, I appreciate you checking in and pinging me. Don’t worry, I’ll be getting you set up with interviews here shortly."

That was one month ago. I've called and emailed within the past 10 days, politely inquiring about an update. No response. I don't know. It doesn't strike me as an issue with waivers or whatnot, but even if it were, why wouldn't he just tell me that?

NOTE: Apologies if I am coming off surly. Not my intention. I very much appreciate your input. Just profoundly frustrated at the moment.

Last edited: