• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What's the Deal with the DCO Recruiters?

Hair Warrior

Contributor
As a former active duty, and current national guard, I totally get what you're saying.... But the level of systemic disfunction I'm experiencing here is, wowza. I mean, for me, the greatest barrier to entry has been the recruiters themselves. I don't know how to express that in a more flattering way. I'm not trying to publicly shame the DCO recruiters. I'm more looking for guidance or at least commiseration. But I'll stop sharing my frustrations on here because, you're right, it's turning into a bitchfest.
It may seem like it’s unique to you, but it’s not. And you’re right it isn’t a flattering look for the Navy Reserve at times, but we gotta fight with the tools we’re given.

exNavyOffRec

For your awareness, it’s a DIY USNR. If you’re exhausted now - on your first DIRCOM application - you will no doubt be exhausted when (insert NRC admin snafu) happens and you’re bending over backwards to rectify it before next DWE.

Today in the middle of my civilian work week I shaved, put on my NWUs, drove 30 min to renew my CAC at the DEERS office, just so I can get into my FlankSpeed email in case Skipper/XO/etc send me something I have to turn around quickly. I have several other Navy things I’m juggling too, averaging 8-12 hours weekly between DWEs, that I won’t bore you with the details, but as an officer it’s on you to self-manage. A day before I was due to fly out, I have had to tell my family and employer that the month-long training course I put on their calendars may or may not happen because I was still waiting on orders and DTS.

TL;DR: The Navy Reserve will keep you exhausted in a number of very inventive ways until you separate or retire. Prepare for a long haul.

P.S. It’s ok to be a little salty, but don’t publicly blame and shame the DCO recruiters who are equally task-saturated and under the gun to help many more applicants than just you.

As a former active duty, and current national guard, I totally get what you're saying.... But the level of systemic disfunction I'm experiencing here is, wowza. I mean, for me, the greatest barrier to entry has been the recruiters themselves. I don't know how to express that in a more flattering way. I'm not trying to publicly shame the DCO recruiters. I'm more looking for guidance or at least commiseration. But I'll stop sharing my frustrations on here because, you're right, it's turning into a bitchfest.
One thing to remember is Reserve recruiting split off not too long ago and that has caused some growing pains. One of the reserve recruiters I was talking to had been recruiting for months before being sent to any school on recruiting.