• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What's the Deal with the DCO Recruiters?

exNavyOffRec

This is great information. I really wish I could have this kind of conversation with my recruiter. As far as I know, my age isn't an issue. When I applied last year and did not get picked up, I asked my then-recruiter what I could do to improve my application. He said: "Honestly, nothing. You're a great candidate; it's just a numbers game. Try again next year." He said my interview scores were almost perfect, but didn't divulge the exact numbers.

When my current recruiter inherited my package, he said everything looked good. Just send an updated motivational statement and confirm time zone for interviews. I did that. Then, radio silence for two months. After trying to hail him unsuccessfully, I contacted another DCO recruiter from a different region, and he said he would see if he could take over my application. Three days later I received the following email from my current recruiter (this is the entire thing):

"I’ve been focused on IWC applicants, I appreciate you checking in and pinging me. Don’t worry, I’ll be getting you set up with interviews here shortly."

That was one month ago. I've called and emailed within the past 10 days, politely inquiring about an update. No response. I don't know. It doesn't strike me as an issue with waivers or whatnot, but even if it were, why wouldn't he just tell me that?

NOTE: Apologies if I am coming off surly. Not my intention. I very much appreciate your input. Just profoundly frustrated at the moment.
DCO can be interesting.

When it comes to waivers they also mention that waivers are accepted in limited waivers, that could be an issue. Then some designators just don't bother accepting people with waivers at all even though they can, these are things your recruiter probably isn't going to be told.

There have been DCO designators in the past that if you didn't have perfect scores on the interviews you were just set aside, again this is something your recruiter probably wouldn't be told.

Your recruiter could have been told info that would negatively affect your chances and wants to avoid the bad news like I mentioned before, I knew of a few that if they received negative info regarding a candidate such as a Pro N, rejected waiver or other info they would not call them, if they called they would not return calls, it eventually resulted in the processors letting me know and I would make those calls.

I think most people on this site understand your frustration.

3onaMatch

DCO can be interesting.

When it comes to waivers they also mention that waivers are accepted in limited waivers, that could be an issue. Then some designators just don't bother accepting people with waivers at all even though they can, these are things your recruiter probably isn't going to be told.

There have been DCO designators in the past that if you didn't have perfect scores on the interviews you were just set aside, again this is something your recruiter probably wouldn't be told.

Your recruiter could have been told info that would negatively affect your chances and wants to avoid the bad news like I mentioned before, I knew of a few that if they received negative info regarding a candidate such as a Pro N, rejected waiver or other info they would not call them, if they called they would not return calls, it eventually resulted in the processors letting me know and I would make those calls.

I think most people on this site understand your frustration.
"Your recruiter could have been told info that would negatively affect your chances and wants to avoid the bad news."

Geez, that's messed up. I hope that's not the case. I suppose I'll know soon enough.

Thanks again.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
43+ is a tough age to commission in any Navy officer program, unless you’re a literal surgeon. One question interviewers or the board may have: where was this person X years ago, and why are they only just now in life thinking about military service?

You don’t have to answer that question here, but if your application doesn’t clearly satisfy the issue, the Navy has plenty of options to select for commission.

3onaMatch

43+ is a tough age to commission in any Navy officer program, unless you’re a literal surgeon. One question interviewers or the board may have: where was this person X years ago, and why are they only just now in life thinking about military service?

You don’t have to answer that question here, but if your application doesn’t clearly satisfy the issue, the Navy has plenty of options to select for commission.

That's a great point! The answer for me is easy: I was finishing my PhD. Before that it was two master's degrees, one after the other. I've spent most of the last two decades in school, and maintaining a teaching/writing career all the while. But I will make sure to plan a good, thorough answer to this question for my interviews -- when/if those ever occur. Thanks for mentioning this!

Hair Warrior

Contributor
That's a great point! The answer for me is easy: I was finishing my PhD. Before that it was two master's degrees, one after the other. I've spent most of the last two decades in school, and maintaining a teaching/writing career all the while. But I will make sure to plan a good, thorough answer to this question for my interviews -- when/if those ever occur. Thanks for mentioning this!
Something else to consider: the DIRCOM process is geared toward applicants with decades of hands-on leadership experience working in their field. If you have decades of schooling but lack real-world work experience in the field, that may be a reason DIRCOM may not be a fit for you.

3onaMatch

Something else to consider: the DIRCOM process is geared toward applicants with decades of hands-on leadership experience working in their field. If you have decades of schooling but lack real-world work experience in the field, that may be a reason DIRCOM may not be a fit for you.
I have 5 years experience in journalism / public relations. And 12 years experience teaching writing at the university level. I have a portfolio of news clips. I also have six years of military service. That said, this is probably the weakest aspect of my application, but there's not much I can do about it, unfortunately.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I have 5 years experience in journalism / public relations. And 12 years experience teaching writing at the university level. I have a portfolio of news clips. I also have six years of military service. That said, this is probably the weakest aspect of my application, but there's not much I can do about it, unfortunately.
I didn’t know you were prior military. That may change things in your favor, relative to the age cutoff. What’s your prior service?

3onaMatch

I didn’t know you were prior military. That may change things in your favor, relative to the age cutoff. What’s your prior service?

Oh, yes, indeed. Active duty Air Force and Air National Guard (enlisted). Also, 4 years of NJROTC and one semester of NROTC in college (although, I don't think the ROTC stuff matters that much for my application).

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Oh, yes, indeed. Active duty Air Force and Air National Guard (enlisted). Also, 4 years of NJROTC and one semester of NROTC in college (although, I don't think the ROTC stuff matters that much for my application).
Are you leading with your prior service when interacting with recruiters? Also, what USAFR/ANG officer programs do you qualify for?

Navy Reserve PAO is a very niche community, with approx 1-4 DIRCOM selects a year. They seem to favor prior enlisted top performing MCs as well as sometimes highly politically connected folks (Sean Spicer and Hunter Biden were DIRCOM PAOs).

3onaMatch

Update: Contact! I texted this morning and received a response from the recruiter. He said ... he will start checking about setting up interviews on Tuesday. Can't do much today because of the long weekend.

"Okay, but what about that last 3 months, sir?" I think, but do not say.

Guys, thanks for all of your input, but seriously, I don't think it's an issue with me, but rather my recruiter. And this is part of a pattern (4 recruiters so far). I'm not giving up yet, but I'm honestly just about at my wits' end. I return to my initial question for this thread: "What's the deal with DCO Recruiters?!"

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Update: Contact! I texted this morning and received a response from the recruiter. He said ... he will start checking about setting up interviews on Tuesday. Can't do much today because of the long weekend.

"Okay, but what about that last 3 months, sir?" I think, but do not say.

Guys, thanks for all of your input, but seriously, I don't think it's an issue with me, but rather my recruiter. And this is part of a pattern (4 recruiters so far). I'm not giving up yet, but I'm honestly just about at my wits' end. I return to my initial question for this thread: "What's the deal with DCO Recruiters?!"

It can be a variety of reasons. Navy Recruiting Command did a big re-org about 1-2 years ago and established a Navy Reserve Recruiting Command, which took on most reserve recruiting to include DCO (i.e. you). The process involved re-assigning recruiters and applicants to recruiters whose sole purpose was to recruit reserve DCO and NAVET/Prior Service (both officer and enlisted) - nothing more nothing less. In the past, an officer recruiter might be recruiting and processing applicants for both OCS and DCO and possibly other programs, I certainly did.

Aside from that, not every recruiter is the same - some are "smarter" or more capable than others. I definitely prioritized applicants based on deadlines but that didn't mean I ignored the others. I would communicate right away, "Hey the next board for you is in 9 months, we can take our time with this and I will ensure there's sufficient time to arrange interviews, MEPS, etc. On the other hand, I also have applicants with much shorter deadlines that I am trying to get pushed through - so it might take me a bit longer than usual to get back to you if you have questions, etc. Thank you for understanding." This isn't just recruiting... this is life/work with prioritization. Not everything can get done in one day.

I had a friend about 2 ish years back who applied for CW DCO and got selected... then the recruiter disappeared without a trace. I inquired and that's when I found out about the re-org and everything. A new recruiter was assigned and my friend ultimately got commissioned and went about her merry way in the reserve world.

Going back to your age thing, many DCO communities on paper will offer "age waivers" beyond 40 or 42, but in reality they deeply desire applicants under that to give them opportunity to serve/grow in a 20-year career before facing statutory retirement at 62. If you are brought into the community at say, 50 (not saying this is you, just an example), it can really impact manning and community health in the O-4 and O-5 paygrades. Not everyone who joins DCO is going to do a 20-year career, but the community does want folks who have the ability to do so. Many will include age waivers in the program authorization should there need to be a need to assess more candidates or perhaps there's a "once in a generation" candidate where the community will take a risk in bringing on, but in practicality that might not always be the case.

In short: It's not so much your age and being old (there are many healthy 40-50 somethings out there), it's more in terms of community health and growth.

Last edited:

3onaMatch

It can be a variety of reasons. Navy Recruiting Command did a big re-org about 1-2 years ago and established a Navy Reserve Recruiting Command, which took on most reserve recruiting to include DCO (i.e. you). The process involved re-assigning recruiters and applicants to recruiters whose sole purpose was to recruit reserve DCO and NAVET/Prior Service (both officer and enlisted) - nothing more nothing less. In the past, an officer recruiter might be recruiting and processing applicants for both OCS and DCO and possibly other programs, I certainly did.

Aside from that, not every recruiter is the same - some are "smarter" or more capable than others. I definitely prioritized applicants based on deadlines but that didn't mean I ignored the others. I would communicate right away, "Hey the next board for you is in 9 months, we can take our time with this and I will ensure there's sufficient time to arrange interviews, MEPS, etc. On the other hand, I also have applicants with much shorter deadlines that I am trying to get pushed through - so it might take me a bit longer than usual to get back to you if you have questions, etc. Thank you for understanding." This isn't just recruiting... this is life/work with prioritization. Not everything can get done in one day.

I had a friend about 2 ish years back who applied for CW DCO and got selected... then the recruiter disappeared without a trace. I inquired and that's when I found out about the re-org and everything. A new recruiter was assigned and my friend ultimately got commissioned and went about her merry way in the reserve world.

Going back to your age thing, many DCO communities on paper will offer "age waivers" beyond 40 or 42, but in reality they deeply desire applicants under that to give them opportunity to serve/grow in a 20-year career before facing statutory retirement at 62. If you are brought into the community at say, 50 (not saying this is you, just an example), it can really impact manning and community health in the O-4 and O-5 paygrades. Not everyone who joins DCO is going to do a 20-year career, but the community does want folks who have the ability to do so. Many will include age waivers in the program authorization should there need to be a need to assess more candidates or perhaps there's a "once in a generation" candidate where the community will take a risk in bringing on, but in practicality that might not always be the case.

In short: It's not so much your age and being old (there are many healthy 40-50 somethings out there), it's more in terms of community health and growth.
Thank you for all the good gouge. Much appreciated. Yes, I think that part you mentioned about communicating where I stand in the priority of applicants and upcoming board dates is what's missing from my convos. with my current recruiter. He hasn't said so explicitly, but I get the sense that he focusing on other applicants for now, and will then turn his attention toward me in order to have my package completed by November (we still have two months). It's just frustrating and nerve-wracking because that has never actually been said explicitly.

Regarding my age, I must admit my surprise at all the discussion it's raised. Is 43 years old with 6 years prior service really that big of a stretch? I'll still be able to do 19-or-so years as a PAO, which would have me retiring at something like 25 years. In the Guard, commissioning at my age would be considered a tad on the older side, but not terribly uncommon.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Thank you for all the good gouge. Much appreciated. Yes, I think that part you mentioned about communicating where I stand in the priority of applicants and upcoming board dates is what's missing from my convos. with my current recruiter. He hasn't said so explicitly, but I get the sense that he focusing on other applicants for now, and will then turn his attention toward me in order to have my package completed by November (we still have two months). It's just frustrating and nerve-wracking because that has never actually been said explicitly.

Regarding my age, I must admit my surprise at all the discussion it's raised. Is 43 years old with 6 years prior service really that big of a stretch? I'll still be able to do 19-or-so years as a PAO, which would have me retiring at something like 25 years. In the Guard, commissioning at my age would be considered a tad on the older side, but not terribly uncommon.

Your age "fate" is really determined by the board as what I've mentioned before, could be a deal breaker or really not a big deal.

exNavyOffRec

Age can be a big issue when it comes to non-medical DCO, I personally can't remember a non-medical DCO applicant that was accepted by the board, it doesn't mean it hasn't happened though or it couldn't happen.

Do you have in front of a camera experience? If so that should be a plus.