• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS 02Nov20 SNA/SNFO (Pilot/NFO) Board

Ghost SWO

Contributor
I'm Civ, but had to get a flight phys last year at Ft.Stewart. I might be wrong but your flight phys should be able to transfer over since it should already be a class 1A as long as it was approved by a military flight surgeon.....I don't have that so I can't tell you for sure.

Can do

Just updated.
I was at work this morning when I got the call saying CONGRATULATIONS! I only applied to SNA I hope that's it. No dates yet.

Marcus_Aurelius

I'm Civ, but had to get a flight phys last year at Ft.Stewart. I might be wrong but your flight phys should be able to transfer over since it should already be a class 1A as long as it was approved by a military flight surgeon.....I don't have that so I can't tell you for sure.

Thanks for that perspective. My flight physical was stamped 1A from a military flight surgeon, so hopefully that does mean I can skip NAMI!

Funny story, when I went to get my eyes tested, they accidentally dilated my eyes BEFORE the sight examination! I was lucky, but I was able to get 20/20 anyway, though I had to try REALLY hard lol

exNavyOffRec

Thanks for that perspective. My flight physical was stamped 1A from a military flight surgeon, so hopefully that does mean I can skip NAMI!

Funny story, when I went to get my eyes tested, they accidentally dilated my eyes BEFORE the sight examination! I was lucky, but I was able to get 20/20 anyway, though I had to try REALLY hard lol

It depends when the exam was given, and remember that Army standards and USN standards have differences, but I too would think you should be good to go.

Can do

They dilated my eyes then told me to go do labs. Imagine asking someone to read the name and information on the cup before you go pee in it. lol

Ghost SWO

Contributor
Once we're in, anyone know how often the flight physical is? I imagine it's different intervals than what I know on the civilian side with the FAA medicals.

Marcus_Aurelius

It depends when the exam was given, and remember that Army standards and USN standards have differences, but I too would think you should be good to go.

Thanks for the feedback! You’ve been such a huge help during this process. I know it’s not a guarantee, so I won’t hold out hope, but that would be nice!

Ghost SWO

Contributor
Did you guys only do the MEPS physical so far??
Yeah most of the applicants will have only done the MEPS physical before going to OCS. Then we'll get to NAMI later. I appreciate that the Army does a full flight physical before you even apply, nice way to know for sure you can get through medical before you get months or years into a process.

franktastic1

Yeah most of the applicants will have only done the MEPS physical before going to OCS. Then we'll get to NAMI later. I appreciate that the Army does a full flight physical before you even apply, nice way to know for sure you can get through medical before you get months or years into a process.
What happens if you don't pass NAMI?

Ghost SWO

Contributor
What happens if you don't pass NAMI?
I believe you'll get a couple options.

You can get re-designated into a different job if you want to stay in the Navy (SWO, maybe NFO or others). If not, you can opt to get out of the Navy and you'll get separated.

Well let me give some context from like 80 pages ago in this thread. I think something like 10% or less even got hit with the NAMI and couldn't continue... It's really not a big deal unless you know you've got an issue that might hold you back. If that's the case you weren't going to make it as an aviator anyway. NAMI catches people that shouldn't have gone through in the first place, depth perception issues, maybe color blindness, etc.

Marcus_Aurelius

Interesting, I didn’t know that.

But idk if the Army does flight physicals for street-to-seat candidates. Since I was still in, I just walked down to the airfield medical facility and was basically like, “hey, could you help a guy out?” Haha

Ghost SWO

Contributor

But idk if the Army does flight physicals for street-to-seat candidates. Since I was still in, I just walked down to the airfield medical facility and was basically like, “hey, could you help a guy out?” Haha
Ah that's nice they did that for you.

When I went to talk to the Army recruiter he said that was what they did for the WOFT applicants, they would actually drive candidates down in a GOV to do their flight physical before starting an application.

Can do

They do flight physicals for street to seat, you will not be officially screened for WOCS/WOFT without it

amclouth

Once we're in, anyone know how often the flight physical is? I imagine it's different intervals than what I know on the civilian side with the FAA medicals.
Flight physicals are good for a year, expiring on the last day of your birth month (unless an extension is granted for deployment or extenuating circumstance, like COVID). Long form flight physicals are required every -5 and -0 birth year (20, 25, 30,...) and include some extra tests like fasted blood work.