• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

Seafort

Made His Bed, Is Now Lying In It
I'm taking the ASTB in two days. Wish me luck. I will report my scores as soon as I have them.

Studson

Great Job Studson! What did you use to study? And how long to your prepare for the ASTB?

I used pretty much everything I could find including the Barrons, Arco, and LearningExpress prep books. Took all the practice exams within those. I studied the Marine Gouge, and the personal study guide someone posted on here which was a great help.

When I took the test itself, I found that there were far more general aviation questions than I expected especially in the last section of the test. The prep books didn't address this issue very well. Fortunately it worked out beautifully for me since I have my PPL, but for those that don't, I'd definitely recommend more studying in this area.

das

Contributor
When I took the test itself, I found that there were far more general aviation questions than I expected especially in the last section of the test. The prep books didn't address this issue very well. Fortunately it worked out beautifully for me since I have my PPL, but for those that don't, I'd definitely recommend more studying in this area.

The "last section" of the test (Aviation Supplemental) could be anything...there are many different versions of this section (far more than the three current forms of the ASTB), and it's different for everyone. In my case, it was just a whole other math section. For others it has been reading comprehension. For others (like yourself) it is another aviation/nautical section. For still others, it is a mix. This last section is combined with the others by a formula to create your composite scores.

Just wanted to clarify that the last section isn't necessarily aviation questions (even though it's called Aviation Supplemental), and often isn't.

bbaker

Good luck man, can you post some links to study materials on the ASTB on this site, I'm still new at this and I found some stuff but I'd like to have as much as I can.

Thanks

Seafort

Made His Bed, Is Now Lying In It
Just finished. Took the paper test. All but the supplemental was as studied. I used ARCO and the marine gouge. Supplemental was math and kicked my butt. Won't have results for three weeks.

kidday03

Just finished. Took the paper test. All but the supplemental was as studied. I used ARCO and the marine gouge. Supplemental was math and kicked my butt. Won't have results for three weeks.

I bet you are glad to be done with that. I take mine tomorrow and am pretty nervous. I am only taking the OAR, but still struggling with the math. Hopefully I do awesome on the rest to compensate. Well glad you're done with it and let us know how you did when you find out.

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
I bet you are glad to be done with that. I take mine tomorrow and am pretty nervous. I am only taking the OAR, but still struggling with the math. Hopefully I do awesome on the rest to compensate. Well glad you're done with it and let us know how you did when you find out.

If you've been studying like you say you have, then you'll be fine. The math on the actual test was way easier than the math I've taken on the GRE and even in all the study guides.

Don't be nervous. It's just a test. YOU decide how you will do on the test not the test itself. The test doesnt predetermine a score based on your stats or who you are.

Its been said 12547527852144x that yes, you want to aim to try to get a competitive score (which NRDs all see differently), but getting a score in the lower to upper 40's won't put you out of the race completely. There've been people who've gotten in with 41's and 42's and people who haven't gotten selected who had like 77's. I'm also not advocating that settling for a low score is a good thing, but think carefully about it since you only get 3 LIFE tries and if you score lower the 2nd time, that score still counts and wipes out the first score.

Don't sweat it. It's only a test. Go in there confident, get a good nights rest, eat a small but decent breakfast, don't drink too much water before, take your time but keep track of the test time, and use as much scratch paper as necessary.

Good luck!

kidday03

If you've been studying like you say you have, then you'll be fine. The math on the actual test was way easier than the math I've taken on the GRE and even in all the study guides.

Don't be nervous. It's just a test. YOU decide how you will do on the test not the test itself. The test doesnt predetermine a score based on your stats or who you are.

Its been said 12547527852144x that yes, you want to aim to try to get a competitive score (which NRDs all see differently), but getting a score in the lower to upper 40's won't put you out of the race completely. There've been people who've gotten in with 41's and 42's and people who haven't gotten selected who had like 77's. I'm also not advocating that settling for a low score is a good thing, but think carefully about it since you only get 3 LIFE tries and if you score lower the 2nd time, that score still counts and wipes out the first score.

Don't sweat it. It's only a test. Go in there confident, get a good nights rest, eat a small but decent breakfast, don't drink too much water before, take your time but keep track of the test time, and use as much scratch paper as necessary.

Good luck!

Thanks for all the advice. I am just excited to get it over with. I am going to try my best, but I believe I have a very competetive package. If I dont do great, I think other things will make up for the score. I will post my scores on here as soon as I get back from ATL tomorrow. Thanks again!

sanchagrins

Juts took the ASTB version 4 today. It was my second time taking the ASTB and I improved my scores all around. Just goes to show what studying all the great gouge here on AW can do.

Original(ASTB 3):
5/5/4 48

New Scores(ASTB 4):
7/7/6 59

Thanks Air Warriors! My package should be in for the November boards. I'm applying for SNA/NFO/SWO.

Good luck on the ASTB and application process!

RSWilson

Took my ASTB last Tuesday.

7/8/8 - 61

Am pretty happy with that and don't think I'll retake.

BTW: Used the ARCO (meh) and the Learning Express (better) study guides.

getontheboat

verbatim:
me : "so, are there any study materials that you'd recommend?"
recruiter: "nope."
me: "honestly? you'd recommend that i dont study at all for the astb?"
recruiter: "not really. schedule a time and just come take it."
well, i did just that... today, actually. i'm going for SWO and ended up with a.... 44 oar. yikes? i had a good gpa (3.6), have finished my communications degree, and had some student government experience... but i'm wondering... should i retake the astb before i submit my application?
so naturally, i asked my recruiter: "should i retake the test?"
recruiter: "thats entirely up to you."
me: "in your extensive experience with officer recruits, would YOU recommend that i retake the test?"
:icon_rage
i mean... i'm not the smartest/most qualified person in the world, but why do i feel like I'M doing the recruiting here? why does my recruiter seem so entirely unenthusiastic, even BEFORE i got middle-of-the-road scores?
you guys seem to know what you're talking about.. so do YOU think i should retake?

BullGator

verbatim:
me : "so, are there any study materials that you'd recommend?"
recruiter: "nope."
me: "honestly? you'd recommend that i dont study at all for the astb?"
recruiter: "not really. schedule a time and just come take it."
well, i did just that... today, actually. i'm going for SWO and ended up with a.... 44 oar. yikes? i had a good gpa (3.6), have finished my communications degree, and had some student government experience... but i'm wondering... should i retake the astb before i submit my application?
so naturally, i asked my recruiter: "should i retake the test?"
me: "in your extensive experience with officer recruits, would YOU recommend that i retake the test?"
:icon_rage
i mean... i'm not the smartest/most qualified person in the world, but why do i feel like I'M doing the recruiting here? why does my recruiter seem so entirely unenthusiastic, even BEFORE i got middle-of-the-road scores?
you guys seem to know what you're talking about.. so do YOU think i should retake?
Apply. If you don't get a pro-rec (professional recommendation: first and hardest step of getting selected), take it after the 31 days or when you're ready.

________

-Finish and submit you package while studying for the ASTB when you can.
-Once submitted, keep studying in case.. And wait for notice by your OR. You can keep track of the active Navy OCS threads for your month to see when others start getting their notice and have a better idea. But mostly study, work, ect.

Good luck.

getontheboat

i'm greeeen. how does one go about attaining a pro-rec? (i only know that means 'professionally recommended' from reading posts here)
but yeah, i think i will go ahead and submit the application, regardless... couldn't hurt, right?