• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

flygurl

kidday03. The GRE/GMAT Math Review ARCO book was excellent. Probably a little more than you need but its a great review especially with math word problems. For me, I am in Grad school and will need to take the GRE as well. I found this book to be a useful tool because it breaks it down and explains each problem. Though, I am still not quick enough with them, practice makes perfect. This book also has timed practice tests! Hope it helps. I found it at Barnes and Noble but here is a link if you are interested in purchasing it online: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_0...-keywords=gre+math+review&sprefix=GRE+MAth+re

Good luck to you.

kidday03

kidday03. The GRE/GMAT Math Review ARCO book was excellent. Probably a little more than you need but its a great review especially with math word problems. For me, I am in Grad school and will need to take the GRE as well. I found this book to be a useful tool because it breaks it down and explains each problem. Though, I am still not quick enough with them, practice makes perfect. This book also has timed practice tests! Hope it helps. I found it at Barnes and Noble but here is a link if you are interested in purchasing it online: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_0...-keywords=gre+math+review&sprefix=GRE+MAth+re

Good luck to you.

Thanks for the link, I live like 2 mins from a Barnes & Noble so I will go check it out. The math section is the only part that is giving me problems, I run out of time and I dont understand all of the problems. I still have 14 days so i'm gonna study as much as possible until then. Thanks again!

pilot19

I will be taking the ASTB in the winter or early spring. I have a couple questions about it. What is exactly on the ASTB? Also, what can I use to study for it and be well prepared for it? I would greatly appreciate the help.

R.J.

blarged

ready
I will be taking the ASTB in the winter or early spring. I have a couple questions about it. What is exactly on the ASTB? Also, what can I use to study for it and be well prepared for it? I would greatly appreciate the help.

R.J.

You just happened to post in the perfect thread full 30-some pages of answers to your questions. Good luck in your studies.

(hit the first page button and read)

SemperFi88

So I took the ASTB this past friday and earned a 6-7-6 and a 53 OAR.
What exactly is an OAR? What is the average score on the ASTB to get accepted for a USMC Aviation contract. I think my contract goes in front of the board in November. Any thoughts? Should I take the ASTB again to get a more competitive score?

mabowden

Took the marine gouge math practice test and missed no questions and finished hastily.

I just wanted to make sure the marine gouge was a good indicator so that I could move on to other sections...

BullGator

So I took the ASTB this past friday and earned a 6-7-6 and a 53 OAR.
What exactly is an OAR? What is the average score on the ASTB to get accepted for a USMC Aviation contract. I think my contract goes in front of the board in November. Any thoughts? Should I take the ASTB again to get a more competitive score?
Was waiting for someone qualified to answer... but yeah, you'll be fine in terms of the ASTB. That is unless they raised the minimum score for their pass/fail system. No need to take it again, but since I'm no Marine, ask your OSO to be sure. You take the PFT yet?

--break--

Took the marine gouge math practice test and missed no questions and finished hastily.

I just wanted to make sure the marine gouge was a good indicator so that I could move on to other sections...
Not really an indicator. The part about each section being timed is important. That said, it has been said that the Marine gouge covers 70% of what could be on the ASTB. So you are in great standings if that is true. Also, very impressive that you aced the ANT section. ;) Good luck.

Studson

Took the test today. 8/9/8 59 on version 3. OAR isn't as high as I'd like, but overall I'm happy with the score. Couldn't have done it without the help and insight offered by this thread. So thanks!

SemperFi88

Astb

Was waiting for someone qualified to answer... but yeah, you'll be fine in terms of the ASTB. That is unless they raised the minimum score for their pass/fail system. No need to take it again, but since I'm no Marine, ask your OSO to be sure. You take the PFT yet?

--break--

Not really an indicator. The part about each section being timed is important. That said, it has been said that the Marine gouge covers 70% of what could be on the ASTB. So you are in great standings if that is true. Also, very impressive that you aced the ANT section. ;) Good luck.

I took the PFT. Maxed out the pull ups and situps but only got 21:36 on the run. My score was a 278. I think i'm ok for that and my references even though I would like my run to be better. I was more worried about the ASTB scores. Do you know what the minimum pass/ fail is (for reference)?

Random but i heard something about the USMC over projecting for pilots so they put the OCC aviation program on hold. have any of you heard about this? I'm doing PLC so I don't think I need to worry but I figured I would throw that out there.