• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

kidday03

I took the paper version Form 5. I only took the OAR and got a 49. I know it's not a great score, but I am going to submit. I think the rest of my package is very competetive so I'm going for it.

pilotwannab

I finished the ASTB today around 1700 and my grades were 6/7/7 51. My degree is Aeronautics from ERAU w/GPA of 3.03. 6 years prior service in the USAF. I do have a DUI on my record that I received in 2003 while AD. My EPR's are all solid; except the year of the DUI, which is a referral. I'm 29 and everything else is gravy. Hoping for the best once I get my LORs in to complete my package!! My friend, who is a Marine Aviator, is telling me not to sweat the DUI; but I'm still sweating it.

Also have about 80 - 90 hours of flight time (started training once while AD, then at ERAU. Too much $$$)

The best tip I have for anyone studying for the ASTB is to keep in mind that the military has proven through research that those who score high tend to do well. They do use your scores as a determinate factor.

Use your time to study every possible resource from the military gouges, arco study books, aviation books, etc.

If your determined to ask questions about what your chances are check out the the "Navy OCS" forums for the different boards where people post their ASTB scores, GPAs etc and whether they got pro rec'd. The most recent will be September and October 2009 Board results.

Find a mentor or someone you can talk to who is or was an officer. Mine is a former EOD LTCDR.

My Stats: 25yr old female; ASTB 8/9/9/62 (up from 5/5/5/50); BS Recreation & Tourism Mgmt 3.4 GPA; Active leader in a student organization; Recommendation letters from 2 retired military officers (USMC & USN)

Pro-rec'd for Pilot/SWO/NFO, Oct '09 Boards.

**I had no prior aviation experience or knowledge prior to studying for the ASTB, just sheer determination.

laton123

I second this. On mine there was absolutely NO trig. Maybe one or two geometry. No quadratics.

Going into my ASTB, I was mostly worried about the time I took to finish a math problem b/c those Barrons/Arco books made it seem like every problem was going to be a 5 paragraph word problem. NOT THE CASE! The books helped me study more than I probably needed to but thats a good thing I guess.

But thats only applicable to the test I took....Form #3. I heard #4 is the hardest but thats speculation.
I took form 4 and it was nothing like the gouge found in here or ARCO books. I got a 37, I'm retesting in 31 days. check my post on feedback for the ASTB for complete detail to anyone needing more tips. At least I feel relief knowing that other forms are easier, hopefully I get form 3.
http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showpost.php?p=601212&postcount=80

Seafort

Made His Bed, Is Now Lying In It
Oops I totally posted in the wrong thread. This is what I get for posting to airwarriors via tiny iPhone screen.

5/6/5 52, and I used a lot of gouge from here, and surprisingly, the air force stuff.

jtmedli

pilot
Oops I totally posted in the wrong thread. This is what I get for posting to airwarriors via tiny iPhone screen.

5/6/5 52, and I used a lot of gouge from here, and surprisingly, the air force stuff.

Not surprising to me. The AFOQT is a very similar test to the ASTB. Slightly different sections and whatnot, but the Math, Aviation, and Verbal are similar enough. I got 99-Pilot and 94-Nav when I was in AFROTC and it carried over onto the ASTB.

tyler07

Hey all,

I have a 2.5 GPA is a no tech major from Texas A&M, was a athlete while I was there and didn’t really care so much about the school part. I am going to take the ASTB in a month or so, is there any way that I can get picked up for a NFO? As a person I look pretty good on paper except for my GPA. I’m going to study my butt off because I really want this

second question, I know there are no air contracts to be had for the marines right now, so do you think when they do start giving air contracts out again its going to be a mad rush to get them and the standards to get one are going to be super high?

thanks tyler

PapaK

So I took the ASTB (13Nov09). The verbal was easy, just had to read closely. The Math was not as tough as it appears in the Arco book but please memorize the formulas and the steps to solving the problems. The flight portion was far tougher than I expected. There were questions I didn't even know existed. Study as much as you can and just remember that unless you're a professional pilot, there is no way to know the detailed physics of flight. Just do your best.

There is a website where you can find all the answers and explanations to questions found in the Marine Gouge as well as questions in the Arco book. http://www.navy-officer.com just lick on ASTB and learn all you can on every link there. I discovered this too late.

So after all that? A 48 OAR. I want to take it again but I will if I'm turned down for Intel. With my MA in international relations and my MBA, my recruiter feels I'm well positioned for the intel board. Thank you all for your help. I will keep you posted as to my progress. Study hard and Fair Winds, Calm Seas and Semper Fi!!!

jtmedli

pilot
Hey all,

I have a 2.5 GPA is a no tech major from Texas A&M, was a athlete while I was there and didn’t really care so much about the school part. I am going to take the ASTB in a month or so, is there any way that I can get picked up for a NFO? As a person I look pretty good on paper except for my GPA. I’m going to study my butt off because I really want this

second question, I know there are no air contracts to be had for the marines right now, so do you think when they do start giving air contracts out again its going to be a mad rush to get them and the standards to get one are going to be super high?

thanks tyler

Without the ASTB it's pretty hard to tell how you look on paper. It is a large part of the picture. Just make sure you kill that ASTB and you'll have a shot.

Yes, the air contracts for October OCS for the Marine Corps are going to be very competitive. Plan on running a 280+ PFT in order to be competitive.

JhwK08

Took it today. Got 8/7/8 70... Thought the OAR was really easy, as was the spatial perception section. My piece of advice to anyone taking it - find the FAA pilots manual and actually /read/ it. Had I not done this over thanksgiving break I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have gotten that high. The aviation knowledge sections had questions that I never thought would be on there - no matter how smart you are, if you don't study you will not be getting 8s or 9s.

ASCzero

I recently took version 4 with 49 5/6/5 .Some of the questions and the format in which the test was laid out differed from the ARCO that I studied from . The spatial perception test was pretty easy but it can be tricky. Most of the other stuff i thought wasn't too bad however some of the math questions were a bit challenging( I have not taken a math class in a couple years). The recruiter said that the score was about average and not bad at all , however ,after creeping on AW for a while I think I might want to retake the test.

I am strongly considering taking the test when i go back to do PRT however i would like some input from people who have retaken the test with better results I am curious to find out what study methods and materials you found most helpful.