• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

DBM

It will help, especially if you just map the controls backwards. Just be sure you don't develop bad habits.

My favorite trick is to just repeat EVERYTHING you hear out of the target ear out loud. This helps you keep track of which ear you should be listening from.
When you say map the controls backward, do you mean like invert the stick and throttle? I thought they were already inverted.

dav246

When you say map the controls backward, do you mean like invert the stick and throttle? I thought they were already inverted.
I mean map the "E" button to your trigger and the "right click" to the throttle button for the hearing portion to make it more like what you will be actually doing on the test.

Reactions: DBM

fearedengineer

First of all, on the sim they have the buttons backwards. On the real thing, you are given a target ear and you pull trigger for even numbers and press the clutch button for odd for that ear specifically. You aren't lambasted with it either like in the sim, what they do is announce the target ear and then hit both ears with often very similar sounding things at once roughly once every three seconds.
can you give some examples of bad habits?

Last edited:

Empire16

It will help, especially if you just map the controls backwards. Just be sure you don't develop bad habits.

My favorite trick is to just repeat EVERYTHING you hear out of the target ear out loud. This helps you keep track of which ear you should be listening from.
is there anything stopping you from just sliding the head phones over the ear that isn't being tested?

fearedengineer

is there anything stopping you from just sliding the head phones over the ear that isn't being tested?
your hands will probably be glued to the throttle and stick the whole time and switching back and forth between adjusting headphones and the t&s will probably decrease concentration and focus resulting in a lower score.

fearedengineer

In the Jantzem sim I just realized that I don't have to lock on the target(green crosshair) to score points, I just have to get near it and I still score some points. The green crosshair just gives more points. After realizing this I just focused on getting my crosshair near the plane and noticed my score improved. From 150-160 on hard to 130-140. Is the actual ASTB similar to where you still get points for getting your crosshair near or will we have to actually lock on(green crosshair) to score?
Or is it like the ASTB prep app where we have to lock on to both throttle and stick targets simultaneously to score?

Last edited:

dav246

In the Jantzem sim I just realized that I don't have to lock on the target(green crosshair) to score points, I just have to get near it and I still score some points. The green crosshair just gives more points. After realizing this I just focused on getting my crosshair near the plane and noticed my score improved. From 150-160 on hard to 130-140. Is the actual ASTB similar to where you still get points for getting your crosshair near or will we have to actually lock on(green crosshair) to score?
That is exactly the ticket. Green=stupidly accurate. Just try to keep it near the plane.

dav246

I mean its not illegal as far as I know, but that would really just make your life harder. Better and much easier to just train yourself to listen eclusively out of one ear when you are told to.

dav246

can you give some examples of bad habits?
Yes. Pressing the throttle button when you hear an even number (as it is set up in the sim) is a bad habit.

Allow me to elaborate more: Imagine E is your throttle button. In the sim, you press E to respond to even numbers. Mapping your joystick similarly to the sim controls will result in you getting used to the opposite of what you will be doing on the test.

fearedengineer

Practice on hard mode on Jantzens, aim for 140 or better on both. After training for like a week I went from 180s to 140s, and recently breaking 130 is normal. On the actual test, you won't have a problem with the targets moving too fast for you to keep up with theorettically, thats a sim specific problem. Also, be careful with the dichotic listening, Jantzens is like, absolutely nothing like the real thing.
If I am able to have a score below 140(range of 130-140) on hard with perfect audio cue. Also scoring avg 1.5 seconds with perfect or near perfect(one wrong) on UAV. Can you estimate what range that would be? 7? 8? or 9? on the battery section. I'm leaving out terrain id since it just came out. Right now I am scoring 18/20 avg with avg time being 6-15 seconds per question. But that's cause I am used to the same image being used. Using Jantzen sim to practice for S&T and ASTB prep app to practice for UAV and Terrian.

dav246

The terrain stuff is really hard not going to lie... any t

If I am able to have a score below 140(range of 130-140) on hard with perfect audio cue. Also scoring avg 1.5 seconds with perfect or near perfect(one wrong) on UAV. Can you estimate what range that would be? 7? 8? or 9? on the battery section. I'm leaving out terrain id since it just came out. Right now I am scoring 18/20 avg with avg time being 6-15 seconds per question. But that's cause I am used to the same image being used. Using Jantzen sim to practice for S&T and ASTB prep app to practice for UAV and Terrian.
You should be good pal. You figure out the terrain stuff?

fearedengineer

You should be good pal. You figure out the terrain stuff?
yeah, it's not too bad actually if you use their compass. However, I am using the prep app and did it about 10+ times already so I already have the map image basically memorized. I'm just waiting for the update for when the map image changes so I can start practicing for the unexpected.

mbsplit2

Hi guys, I'm not understanding this proportion question. "A field can be plowed by 12 machines in 7 hours. If four machines are in need of repair and cannot be used, how many hours will it take to plow the field?" The answer on the practice test is 10.5 hours, but after double checking my math I don't understand how it's not 4.67 hours. Do you not just cross multiply and solve for X like other proportion questions?