• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

lucasleny

"I've been averaging about 90%+ correct and getting 100 distance from target and 120 distance from throttle target on the Jantzen simulator" Is it on HARD mode and are using a stick? If so you are good to go. Almost everyone with that score on HARD gets 8/9 on that section.
Also what stick are you using? X52 will prepare you the most. I started using a $60 throttle and stick(I think thrustmaster) and did fairly well. But after switching to X52 I struggled again and it took a week to get fairly well again.
The flashcards are alright but you should read or watch any lecture so that you have a solid foundation. The ANIT has a lot of material that ranges from navy procedures, history, rules, physics, diagrams, and most importantly flight info. I recommend investing in prep books/apps and doing practice exams on those. That way you have a better idea of where you stand on that section.
Thanks for the feedback! Yes, those are on hard mode, 200 seconds but to be fair I've been playing DCS and War Thunder Simulator Battles for months now so I'm used to joystick and throttle. I have the Speedlink Phantom Hawk that I bought off of a friend for 20 bucks so it's definitely not the greatest but it does the job.

I've been trying to find more material on the ANIT online but all I can find are more flashcards and virtually no practice tests. Maybe I haven't scavenged this forum enough but I haven't found more ANIT material to go through on here. Do you have any specific material with new info that isn't in the flashcards by any chance? I'll have a look at the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge because I'm sure I've missed some stuff in that.

fearedengineer

Thanks for the feedback! Yes, those are on hard mode, 200 seconds but to be fair I've been playing DCS and War Thunder Simulator Battles for months now so I'm used to joystick and throttle. I have the Speedlink Phantom Hawk that I bought off of a friend for 20 bucks so it's definitely not the greatest but it does the job.

I've been trying to find more material on the ANIT online but all I can find are more flashcards and virtually no practice tests. Maybe I haven't scavenged this forum enough but I haven't found more ANIT material to go through on here. Do you have any specific material with new info that isn't in the flashcards by any chance? I'll have a look at the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge because I'm sure I've missed some stuff in that.
have you looked at Kyle Drive? I asked a similar question about a week ago and someone recommended MIT Ground School (First 5 videos). If you want to practice alot you're going to have to invest in material. But if your sole focus is on ANIT I'm pretty sure those resources should be enough. Remember you also have the OAR to worry about. I recommend at least 1-2 practice books. There are like 5 to choose from on Amazon. If you have an ios device look up astb on the app store and there are two useful apps.

lucasleny

I actually do have that drive but lost track of it with all the material I downloaded ? will definitely have a look at that over the course of this week, thank you.

I reckon I'll be getting Alex Hasting's app as well just to go over everything and get some extra practice in.

dav246

I actually do have that drive but lost track of it with all the material I downloaded ? will definitely have a look at that over the course of this week, thank you.

I reckon I'll be getting Alex Hasting's app as well just to go over everything and get some extra practice in.
TwoScoops's app is, in my opinion, one of the most useful study tools you can invest in. Well worth every cent. I will say this though: Don't limit yourself to the app, its great at teaching you certain topics and figuring out what you are weak at, but I personally sought out extra practice outside the app for the topics I struggled with.

Leading to Gomez Drive. Contains lots of math practice but also pratice work sheets and tests for basically everything.

Also, your stick scores are about the same as mine, and I got an 8 on the PFAR yesterday. I think you are good there. One important thing that you might be overlooking: Have you been training for dichotic listening at all?

DBM

TwoScoops's app is, in my opinion, one of the most useful study tools you can invest in. Well worth every cent. I will say this though: Don't limit yourself to the app, its great at teaching you certain topics and figuring out what you are weak at, but I personally sought out extra practice outside the app for the topics I struggled with.

Leading to Gomez Drive. Contains lots of math practice but also pratice work sheets and tests for basically everything.

Also, your stick scores are about the same as mine, and I got an 8 on the PFAR yesterday. I think you are good there. One important thing that you might be overlooking: Have you been training for dichotic listening at all?
What is a good score while doing the throttle and target part of the sim at the same time?

dav246

What is a good score while doing the throttle and target part of the sim at the same time?
Sub 120 for both at the same time was my average, sometimes breaking 110 and my absolute best runs were breaking 100. Again, thats both scores.

Reactions: DBM

lucasleny

Another drive? Even better, thanks dav :)

Congrats on your PFAR score! How was the rest of the exam?
I have been practicing the dichotic listening, but I'm unsure as to if I want to keep doing that with Jantzer's sim since it's apparently very different from the actual ASTB and I don't want to build any bad habits.

dav246

Another drive? Even better, thanks dav :)

Congrats on your PFAR score! How was the rest of the exam?
I have been practicing the dichotic listening, but I'm unsure as to if I want to keep doing that with Jantzer's sim since it's apparently very different from the actual ASTB and I don't want to build any bad habits.
My score is 7/8/8 54, so thats how the rest of it went.

What I did for the dichotic listening is ya know how you press "E" for even numbers in the left ear and you press the mouse button for odd numbers in the right? What I did was map the E key to the trigger and the mouse click to the clutch button, and then just practiced like I was taking the real thing, I.E trigger for even numbers and clutch for odd numbers in the designated ear. I just left the hearing test at default settings. Another neat trick that I found helpful was to repeat everything you hear out of the target ear out loud.

So basically if you get accustomed to listening out of one specific ear and hitting the trigger for evens and clutch button for odds, you will avoid developing those bad habbits.

lucasleny

My score is 7/8/8 54, so thats how the rest of it went.

What I did for the dichotic listening is ya know how you press "E" for even numbers in the left ear and you press the mouse button for odd numbers in the right? What I did was map the E key to the trigger and the mouse click to the clutch button, and then just practiced like I was taking the real thing, I.E trigger for even numbers and clutch for odd numbers in the designated ear. I just left the hearing test at default settings. Another neat trick that I found helpful was to repeat everything you hear out of the target ear out loud.

So basically if you get accustomed to listening out of one specific ear and hitting the trigger for evens and clutch button for odds, you will avoid developing those bad habbits.
Nice score!

Right now I have RMB mapped to trigger and E as E because I don't have a separate throttle, so I don't have a clutch button or anything like that. I've heard about the repeating everything you hear and leaning your head though, I'll definitely keep that in mind for the test.

Ezejay_11

YOOOOO YOU DID IT CONGRATS
Well warriors, heres the news:

First of all, I scored a 7/8/8 54 on my final attempt. The Marines like those scores, and so do I.

Next step is NOMI physical which we will be getting to ASAP, otherwise I have been dropped for this cycle and will be aiming for the next one. Now I am going to get absolutely thrashed and take the day off tomorrow.

fearedengineer

@dav246 I forgot to ask or anyone else who took the ASTB recently. What does the UAV portion image look like? Is it like one: this? or two: this? or like three: astb prep app from two scoops? or is it none of the above? It has audio now, right? Also to those who used the ASTB tutoring app(not prep) did it help?

dav246

@dav246 I forgot to ask or anyone else who took the ASTB recently. What does the UAV portion image look like? Is it like one: this? or two: this? or like three: astb prep app from two scoops? or is it none of the above? It has audio now, right? Also to those who used the ASTB tutoring app(not prep) did it help?
A lot closer to example 2, and yes, the prep app was absolutely vital to performing well.