• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

logamflyguy

Can someone explain why this would be considered a descent, if the flight path is changing to incline wouldn't that mean it is climbing, or does incline mean that the tail is up and nose is down?

Attachments

• Descent question quizlet.png
    Descent question quizlet.png
    35 KB · Views: 41

Ninja

SNA Select
I just took the ASTB-E this morning and wanted to give my rundown. For context I have only been on this forum for ~3 weeks I have studied for a consecutive ~20 hours across all sections, majority of which being across the 4 days before the exam. With that being said I believe the study guides posted on this forum pay dividends to study over any other book which is sold. I also took the exam with the intention of being able to see the questions first hand before taking it again a month after and knowing where I need to study more hence why I didn't study that much.

I scored 64 8/8/8 (way better than I expected)

Math: Wow I didn't see 80% of the shit I studied for but as you know the exam is different for everyone depending on how you do. Some problems involved one item costing ~4$, another item costing ~6, if 150 items were sold in total for a profit of $1,000 how much of each were sold. Others were generic simplify the expression problem: square roots, definitely know your exponents and negative fraction exponents more specifically. No logs or matrix here, in fact that one word problem described above was the only word problem I even got. Definitely unexpected but the guide covered all I needed. got cut off with ~13 minutes remaining

Reading: Not to beat a dead horse, the content isn't that fun to read, took a caffeine pill specifically with this portion in mind. Had to reread passages 2-3 times. Didn't study at all for this portion ngl, just read other people's experiences with this section. Try to narrow it down to two options (normally pretty easy to do) and just wing it from there. Ran out of time on this section and got booted out.

Mechanical: Interesting to say the least, got some of the standard questions people have mentioned on here, know all the basic concepts (pretty generic to say ik), but honestly this section is more conceptual than math, only had to use my pencil for one question here. Barron's book was pretty good imo (along with the study guide) I'd recommend using both based on the questions I saw. Density, ideal gas law equations, water pressure. Also got kicked out of this section with time still remaining (remember, accuracy over speed here). Overall not too bad.

ANIT: I think I got lucky but way way over prepared for this section. For context studying for this exam was the first time I have had exposure to aviation and the navy (relatively speaking). No history questions, one navy question about terminology on parts of a boat. Everything else was around terminology of an aircraft and what surface controls what (be comfortable with this imo). I got kicked out of this one really quick ~after 8-10 questions. I guess I was doing well. Had to guess on one about audio navigation systems, knew nothing about that.

Personal Inventory Questions: awful, just pick the best (there aren't any) of both options. Some are straight awful ie pick between: I have a hard time listening to authority, I never get my work done on time. Accept it, feel like a bad person, just get it over with and act like a leader.

UAV: compass trick, nothing more. I saw some people say you have unlimited practice attempts before starting this section; I had 8 practice examples before it forced me to start so idk what happened there. 47/48, averaged 1.5-3 seconds per.

Simulator fun you never want to have again: I read someone's post before the exam to "just have fun with it and laugh at yourself while you take this portion" I totally agree. Because I have read what other people went through with this I kinda knew to expect to not be good. I had no clue what my score was going to be during it, I was barely tracking the thing. Only thing worth mentioning imo: write down emergency procedures, lean toward the ear they tell you to listen to.

That's about it for me, applying SNA for the next board. Biology major (currently in my senior year) 3.6gpa for further context. Thank you everyone on here and good luck to those taking the exam in the future!!

Mil3s

SNA Select
I just took the ASTB-E this morning and wanted to give my rundown. For context I have only been on this forum for ~3 weeks I have studied for a consecutive ~20 hours across all sections, majority of which being across the 4 days before the exam. With that being said I believe the study guides posted on this forum pay dividends to study over any other book which is sold. I also took the exam with the intention of being able to see the questions first hand before taking it again a month after and knowing where I need to study more hence why I didn't study that much.

I scored 64 8/8/8 (way better than I expected)

Math: Wow I didn't see 80% of the shit I studied for but as you know the exam is different for everyone depending on how you do. Some problems involved one item costing ~4$, another item costing ~6, if 150 items were sold in total for a profit of $1,000 how much of each were sold. Others were generic simplify the expression problem: square roots, definitely know your exponents and negative fraction exponents more specifically. No logs or matrix here, in fact that one word problem described above was the only word problem I even got. Definitely unexpected but the guide covered all I needed. got cut off with ~13 minutes remaining

Reading: Not to beat a dead horse, the content isn't that fun to read, took a caffeine pill specifically with this portion in mind. Had to reread passages 2-3 times. Didn't study at all for this portion ngl, just read other people's experiences with this section. Try to narrow it down to two options (normally pretty easy to do) and just wing it from there. Ran out of time on this section and got booted out.

Mechanical: Interesting to say the least, got some of the standard questions people have mentioned on here, know all the basic concepts (pretty generic to say ik), but honestly this section is more conceptual than math, only had to use my pencil for one question here. Barron's book was pretty good imo (along with the study guide) I'd recommend using both based on the questions I saw. Density, ideal gas law equations, water pressure. Also got kicked out of this section with time still remaining (remember, accuracy over speed here). Overall not too bad.

ANIT: I think I got lucky but way way over prepared for this section. For context studying for this exam was the first time I have had exposure to aviation and the navy (relatively speaking). No history questions, one navy question about terminology on parts of a boat. Everything else was around terminology of an aircraft and what surface controls what (be comfortable with this imo). I got kicked out of this one really quick ~after 8-10 questions. I guess I was doing well. Had to guess on one about audio navigation systems, knew nothing about that.

Personal Inventory Questions: awful, just pick the best (there aren't any) of both options. Some are straight awful ie pick between: I have a hard time listening to authority, I never get my work done on time. Accept it, feel like a bad person, just get it over with and act like a leader.

UAV: compass trick, nothing more. I saw some people say you have unlimited practice attempts before starting this section; I had 8 practice examples before it forced me to start so idk what happened there. 47/48, averaged 1.5-3 seconds per.

Simulator fun you never want to have again: I read someone's post before the exam to "just have fun with it and laugh at yourself while you take this portion" I totally agree. Because I have read what other people went through with this I kinda knew to expect to not be good. I had no clue what my score was going to be during it, I was barely tracking the thing. Only thing worth mentioning imo: write down emergency procedures, lean toward the ear they tell you to listen to.

That's about it for me, applying SNA for the next board. Biology major (currently in my senior year) 3.6gpa for further context. Thank you everyone on here and good luck to those taking the exam in the future!!
Congratulations, that’s a great score and I’m hoping the pilot boards stay around the same acceptance rate as the last board hopefully and don’t tank.

fearedengineer

Can someone explain why this would be considered a descent, if the flight path is changing to incline wouldn't that mean it is climbing, or does incline mean that the tail is up and nose is down?
yeah, wouldn't it be climb? I'm confused too lol. Sometimes these prep tools have errors but its good that you double-checked.

Ninja

SNA Select
Congratulations, that’s a great score and I’m hoping the pilot boards stay around the same acceptance rate as the last board hopefully and don’t tank.
Thanks! Also hoping for the same thing here, my recruiter mentioned the only possibility hindering SNA slots would be that bc the fiscal year is in October (or September I forget) a good chunk of the newly opened slots will go to the November board which should have just convened. But said while it should be less for the March board it won't be as if there aren't any.

Mil3s

SNA Select
Thanks! Also hoping for the same thing here, my recruiter mentioned the only possibility hindering SNA slots would be that bc the fiscal year is in October (or September I forget) a good chunk of the newly opened slots will go to the November board which should have just convened. But said while it should be less for the March board it won't be as if there aren't any.
Dang I didn’t know that information, well that’s good news since I submitted my sna packet for this board happening in December. ( there is no November board it’s December 3rd btw ). This wait to find out is killing me but I have a good feeling this board will be a good one, maybe not as high as the previous board but I’m feeling like a 60-70% acceptance rate

Ninja

SNA Select
Dang I didn’t know that information, well that’s good news since I submitted my sna packet for this board happening in December. ( there is no November board it’s December 3rd btw ). This wait to find out is killing me but I have a good feeling this board will be a good one, maybe not as high as the previous board but I’m feeling like a 60-70% acceptance rate
Oh my bad, was the application deadline around the start of November then? Or am I way off. But I'd like to think there will be plenty of space for you to grab an SNA slot with your scores.

Mil3s

SNA Select
Oh my bad, was the application deadline around the start of November then? Or am I way off. But I'd like to think there will be plenty of space for you to grab an SNA slot with your scores.
Not at all you were close, so the official due date was November 3rd I believe and then the board starts in December 3rd if I’m not mistaken. Then the name list for applicants are sent to the board usually 1-2 weeks before the board meets. I scored a 53,7,7,7 so based of off the excel sheet with all of the scores I’m around the 60-70th percentile score wise so I have my fingers crossed

sdh

Not at all you were close, so the official due date was November 3rd I believe and then the board starts in December 3rd if I’m not mistaken. Then the name list for applicants are sent to the board usually 1-2 weeks before the board meets. I scored a 53,7,7,7 so based of off the excel sheet with all of the scores I’m around the 60-70th percentile score wise so I have my fingers crossed
Are these dates for the Marine board?

fearedengineer

So what happens if you don't get picked for whatever board you applied for? Do you have to retake the ASTB? Are you allowed to apply again and if so is there a limit to how many times you can re-apply?

Mil3s

SNA Select
So what happens if you don't get picked for whatever board you applied for? Do you have to retake the ASTB? Are you allowed to apply again and if so is there a limit to how many times you can re-apply?
You just have to wait till the next board to apply again. You can only take the ASTB 3 times, and then I believe you can apply to 5 boards. Also which ever is the most recent astb, then that is the one you will be using when you apply, you can’t pick which test score you want to use if you take it multiple times.

MotorCookie

You don't need to retake the ASTB. You can apply again, but, if you want to apply again to the same designator within 6 months you need to do something in order to strengthen your package. This could be a new LOR, new ASTB attempt, flight hours, new job, etc. Otherwise, you'll need to wait over 6 months to apply.