• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

dav246

So what happens if you don't get picked for whatever board you applied for? Do you have to retake the ASTB? Are you allowed to apply again and if so is there a limit to how many times you can re-apply?
Your ASTB scores are permanant and don't expire, so long as the test doesn't change drastically.

Empire16

I think, don't quote me, that terrain ID mostly affects your FOFAR. Thats what makes the most sense anyway.
How did you do on the terrain ID? How was it on the app versus the test? Also what exactly goes into your fofar? It says math but, I just don't believe that ?

dav246

How did you do on the terrain ID? How was it on the app versus the test? Also what exactly goes into your fofar? It says math but, I just don't believe that ?
I got all of them right on the terrain ID, it is much easier than the app. In terms of math being important to your FOFAR, I would not doubt it. It is heavily influenced by the UAV and Terrain ID, and math is the most important aspect of the OAR so that probably has something to do with it.

Empire16

I got all of them right on the terrain ID, it is much easier than the app. In terms of math being important to your FOFAR, I would not doubt it. It is heavily influenced by the UAV and Terrain ID, and math is the most important aspect of the OAR so that probably has something to do with it.
Thank you for the reply. Can you give details about what kind of math problems you faced? And what you wished you studied more?

dav246

Thank you for the reply. Can you give details about what kind of math problems you faced? And what you wished you studied more?
I got some percentage problems, probability problems, some simple geometry problems, one very tricky multistep geometry problem, factoring/FOIL, and then some shit I have no idea. Some sort of like complex factoring stacked fraction abomination war crime that I couldn't make heads or tails with. I felt prepared enough overall using Twoscoops's prep app, Khan Academy Algebra 1 and 2 and Trig, and the worksheets you can find in the Gomez Drive.

Empire16

I got some percentage problems, probability problems, some simple geometry problems, one very tricky multistep geometry problem, factoring/FOIL, and then some shit I have no idea. Some sort of like complex factoring stacked fraction abomination war crime that I couldn't make heads or tails with. I felt prepared enough overall using Twoscoops's prep app, Khan Academy Algebra 1 and 2 and Trig, and the worksheets you can find in the Gomez Drive.
Thank you again and good luck with your flight physical!

has anyone figured out a solid method regarding the terrain association? I've only managed to achieve a 15/20 as my personal best using the app just based on finding a solid landmark in the altered image, figuring out how skewed it is based on the original image, and a bit of process of elimination (probably not the best for the actual thing since it's a compass rose and not four options). works alright but it runs into issues at times when it's super indistinguishable images and when we're talking about options like NNE and ENE

dav246

has anyone figured out a solid method regarding the terrain association? I've only managed to achieve a 15/20 as my personal best using the app just based on finding a solid landmark in the altered image, figuring out how skewed it is based on the original image, and a bit of process of elimination (probably not the best for the actual thing since it's a compass rose and not four options). works alright but it runs into issues at times when it's super indistinguishable images and when we're talking about options like NNE and ENE
I have a method that works, took a video of myself demonstrating my method for another guy, don't really know how useful it is though. If you want it DM me your email and I'll send it. I will tell you two things: Take the time to find yourself a good 16 point compass rose and print it, you will be much more accurate, and the app is much harder than the actual test.

fearedengineer

Hey guys, I'm taking my test next week. It will be my first attempt at it and hopefully my only attempt. I used the ASTB tutoring app made by Debbrata and did the ASTB/OAR prediction test and scored 56. I got 93%: math, 90% reading, 93%: mechanics, 96% ANIT. Has anyone else been using this app? Or did anyone find it helpful? I am pretty satisfied with this mock OAR score and if I am able to score this well on the actual OAR section I would be happy. I need to get an 8(shooting for that 9 though) on the ASTB section. I currently hit around 130: target, and 120: throttle on HARD(using X52 set) on Janzem with near-perfect/perfect audio. I average around 1.4/1.45 seconds on the UAV with maybe one wrong. I average around 16/20 on the terrain ID(the last 3 attempts have been 18/20) as well.

Last edited:

fearedengineer

Also to those who took the ASTB already did you see helos/rotor questions on the ANIT? I have the ASTB prep book(the red book) and ALL the ANIT material and practice exams are helos/rotor questions. I looked at the first practice exam on it and 100% helos/rotor. Kinda ridiculous. I felt that it wasn't helpful and dropped it. Unless you guys saw alot of it on the exam then I would pick it up again.

Dinosaurologist

Also to those who took the ASTB already did you see helos/rotor questions on the ANIT? I have the ASTB prep book(the red book) and ALL the ANIT material and practice exams are helos/rotor questions. I looked at the first practice exam on it and 100% helos/rotor. Kinda ridiculous. I felt that it wasn't helpful and dropped it. Unless you guys saw alot of it on the exam then I would pick it up again.
I remember seeing only one question on helicopters. It was on autorotation.

Mil3s

SNA Select
I didn’t get any helos/rotor questions. I got more ship questions and airport / runway questions. then like 4-5 plane aviation questions

causekim

I took oar only twice. and I Changed my mind to be a pilot so I need astb score now. Do I get 3 chances of taking astb? And is taking astb gonna reset my oar score? I like my oar score I wanna keep it.

dav246

I took oar only twice. and I Changed my mind to be a pilot so I need astb score now. Do I get 3 chances of taking astb? And is taking astb gonna reset my oar score? I like my oar score I wanna keep it.
Having taken only the OAR before should not count towards your count of 3, and there is this one thing where you can take the OAR and then within 30 days take the rest of the test, otherwise you are shit out of luck and will have to take the whole thing in one sitting.