• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

exNavyOffRec

I took oar only twice. and I Changed my mind to be a pilot so I need astb score now. Do I get 3 chances of taking astb? And is taking astb gonna reset my oar score? I like my oar score I wanna keep it.

Having taken only the OAR before should not count towards your count of 3, and there is this one thing where you can take the OAR and then within 30 days take the rest of the test, otherwise you are shit out of luck and will have to take the whole thing in one sitting.
If the last OAR was taken within 30 days ago you need to get the second part done before the 30 days expires.

If it was over 30 days ago then you need to take the entire thing again and those previous time DO count as the parts that give you the score for the OAR also contribute to the ASTB scores and you can only take each version of the exam one time.

causekim

If the last OAR was taken within 30 days ago you need to get the second part done before the 30 days expires.

If it was over 30 days ago then you need to take the entire thing again and those previous time DO count as the parts that give you the score for the OAR also contribute to the ASTB scores and you can only take each version of the exam one time.
oh no... it has been more than 30 days since i took the last OAR. So I only got one chance to take ASTB even though ive never taken ASTB before? that sucks.

dav246

Thank you for the correction. For understanding, even if you have absolutely no intention of flying then, you only get three shots at the OAR?

exNavyOffRec

Thank you for the correction. For understanding, even if you have absolutely no intention of flying then, you only get three shots at the OAR?
Yes each person gets 3 shots at the ASTB, the OAR is one portion of the ASTB. It doesn't matter if you take the full test or just the OAR portion

mittels

Hey people, been practicing that new terrain ID subtest on the app, doing mostly well, averaging 18/20 on pretty much every run.

My method thus far has been finding an easy landmark, noting which way it has rotated, then rotating my compass in the same direction and estimating to what degree, thus making the answer what ends up being the uppermost direction on my physical compass. Its mostly working, what few I do get wrong is down to 30 degree differences. So I was wondering if anybody might have a more precice method that they wouldn't mind sharing.
I’m trying this way and not getting it. The problem is asking us to determine what direction North on the non-rotated map is now pointed in on the rotated map correct ? So if you pick a land mark and rotate it to its new orientation, that amount rotated should be applied to North. Example being if the landmark was rotated 90 degrees clockwise, you would rotate north 90 degrees clockwise making it point East and therefore East would be the answer. Is that the correct way to approach this? I never get the right answer thinking about it that way.

fearedengineer

I’m trying this way and not getting it. The problem is asking us to determine what direction North on the non-rotated map is now pointed in on the rotated map correct ? So if you pick a land mark and rotate it to its new orientation, that amount rotated should be applied to North. Example being if the landmark was rotated 90 degrees clockwise, you would rotate north 90 degrees clockwise making it point East and therefore East would be the answer. Is that the correct way to approach this? I never get the right answer thinking about it that way.
I think you may be overthinking it. Look at the reference map and then the rotated map. Cut out a square draw the compass and line it up with the north of the compass facing up. and rotate it to the direction of change(if it looks like the map is tilted right, turn your compass right and vice versa), I find it easier looking at landmarks that are straight like a rectangle or square, or even pointed objects. It's even easier if you have a shore or some unique eye-catching landmark. After you turn it and make your adjustments look at the top of the compass and that is your answer. It takes a little getting used to, you just have to practice. Dont know any easier way or other trick. The hard/tricky part is when your choices are very similar like NNE and ENE or SSW and SSE. Or sometimes the map just sucks and there isn't alot of clues. Situations like those throw me off. According to dav246, the actual test is alot easier than the app.

Last edited:

dav246

The best way I can describe my method:
1. Find a landmark with an easily identified bearing on the lefthand map
2. Note the direction of rotation of the right hand map.
3. Rotate your compass rose in that direction, until your original bearing from step 1 lines up with your landmark again. Now the direction at the top of your compass (what I like to call "new north") should be your answer.

Last edited:

dav246

Does anyone know how to solve this? Or why the answer is C?
View attachment 39227
For reference: https://physics.bu.edu/~redner/211-sp06/class05/static.html

Now, understanding static friction: A simple understanding of static friction is the least amount of force needed to move an object across another surface. Another way to think about it is how much force is preventing your object from moving across a surface when another force is acting on it.

The formula is as follows: Fsmax=us*N.

us=coefficiant of static friction, N is Newtons/force of the object in question, and Fsmax=total force needed to move the object/total force acting on our object.

Looking at the problem: We can rule out A and D automatically. If an object is at rest static friction equals zero, and the coefficient will never be greater than 1 if the force acting on the object is less than the weight of the object its self.

Lets assign some variables: So because we are trying to discern how much force is needed to move the 4kg object using the 2kg mass, 2kg becomes our Fsmax.

Fsmax=2.

The weight of the object in question is 4kg, so that becomes our N.

So N=4.

So we end up with: 2=us*4

We could convert the Kg to N if we wanted, and in fact posterity says we should, but we can skip this step because the math ends up getting us the same answer in any case and is much simpler this way, so we will skip.

Algebra gets us 2/4=us. Our coeficient has to be .5 then.

How do we discern if it can be less than or more than? Well, if we take .6(more than .5) and multiply by 4, we end up with a value more than 2. Remember, static frictional force is only concerned with maximums, so we can't exceed 2 in our calculations. Another way to think about this is that we can't magically change the weight that is dangling off the table. 2Kg is the max, that is ALL the force acting on our object. Meanwhile, if we take .4(less than .5) and multiply it by 4, we end up with something less than 2.

^Really, this extra step is just annoying bullshit and the answer is .5. The coeficient of static friction between the table and the 4kg block with 2kg of weight acting on it is .5 and can't exceed .5 unless something is purposefully changed, which would fundamentally change the question in itself. As long as you understand that this formula will give you the maximum possible coefficient you won't even have to think about it.

Last edited:

Ezejay_11

My score is 7/8/8 54, so thats how the rest of it went.

What I did for the dichotic listening is ya know how you press "E" for even numbers in the left ear and you press the mouse button for odd numbers in the right? What I did was map the E key to the trigger and the mouse click to the clutch button, and then just practiced like I was taking the real thing, I.E trigger for even numbers and clutch for odd numbers in the designated ear. I just left the hearing test at default settings. Another neat trick that I found helpful was to repeat everything you hear out of the target ear out loud.

So basically if you get accustomed to listening out of one specific ear and hitting the trigger for evens and clutch button for odds, you will avoid developing those bad habbits.
Any tips on learning terrain association bro?

mittels

The best way I can describe my method:
1. Find a landmark with an easily identified bearing on the lefthand map
2. Note the direction of rotation of the right hand map.
3. Rotate your compass rose in that direction, until your original bearing from step 1 lines up with your landmark again. Now the direction at the top of your compass (what I like to call "new north") should be your answer.
Thank you! Do you get to practice a couple on the actual test? Are the practice examples for each section of the PBM (listening, stick and throttle, UAV)?

dav246

Thank you! Do you get to practice a couple on the actual test? Are the practice examples for each section of the PBM (listening, stick and throttle, UAV)?
As I recall, you do get a little practice run. You get a practice run for basically everything except the Emergency portion, that one just gets right to the cookies.

Hopefulmustang

In the reading comprehension section they want you to choose the answer that best summarizes the passage.

Are you only using the app to study? If so, I recommend you start using a lot more study material.
No, I'm using the Barron's book too but do you have any recommendations? I saw your scores for your final attempt and I'd like mine to look like that lol

fearedengineer

Hey guys, just took my first attempt at the ASTB and didn’t do too well. I got a 50/5/7/6. But I will share my experience and maybe, it can help anyone taking it soon. I found math to be really easy and it kinda makes me wonder if I did badly since I read that it gets harder the better you do, but I am sure I got almost all the questions right. It was very basic algebra, probability, and geometry. I found the test to be way easier than all the practice exams I took. I finished the test in 15 minutes. The reading was just alot of focusing, none of the practice material will prepare you for it. They give a three-sentence passage and choices that relate to the passage the most. Some questions are obvious some are not. My biggest tip is to analyze each sentence and understand it before moving on to the next. Finished it with 5 minutes remaining. I didn't really prep for the mechanics as much. I think this section is what got me. Just know the concepts majority of questions its either you know or don't know. Barely any calculation. I saw some questions from Barron so I recommend picking up that book. The section that left me most disappointed was the ANIT. Prior to taking this test, I thought the section I would do best in would be the ANIT. I prepped so much for it yet I got caught off guard and I was surprised by how much I didn't know. Basically, almost all of what I studied didn’t appear and there were some questions that I didn’t even see/read. It was about half Navy questions and half aviation questions. I saw no helo questions and maybe one airport question regarding lights. I think I got 50/60% correct. I read and watched alot of material regarding the ANIT and did pretty much all or as many practice exams as I could take but still wasn't enough. The UAV was easy, I got all the answers right. It's similar to the ASTB prep app where the announcer will ask for the target. I will warn anyone who takes it there will be moments when the announcer will not say anything. Throttle and stick was pretty easy as well. I found it easier than Janzem sim they don't say numbers as frequently but one thing that caught me off guard was the letter 'h' and 8(both sounded similar). The structure is still the same so all the buttons that everyone has mentioned previously from their exam have not changed. The Terrain I found it both easier and harder than the ASTB prep app. It's easier to identify and navigate the surrounding terrain on the actual ASTB but it's not multiple choice they give you a cardinal direction compass(again, no multiple choice) and you have to click the correct direction on that compass, which I found to be more difficult since you cannot estimate like the prep app. I think I did decent here but probably got some wrong here.

Any Tips on the ANIT? To people who originally scored low but improved what did you do to improve? Before studying for this test I had zero Navy and aviation knowledge so I had to do alot of learning. I did alot of reading, practice exams, and lecture videos(watched a little bit of the MIT flight videos). Any good resources for learning about Navy stuff? or Aviation? Also, did anyone get a radio question? I forgot what the question was it sounded something like "if 1337(forgot the number) were to call x where would he call(something like that)?" I think one of the choices was VOR. I forgot the rest of the choices.

Last edited:

Nnamdi25

Hey guys, just took my first attempt at the ASTB and didn’t do too well. I got a 50/5/7/6. But I will share my experience and maybe, it can help anyone taking it soon. I found math to be really easy and it kinda makes me wonder if I did badly since I read that it gets harder the better you do, but I am sure I got almost all the questions right. It was very basic algebra, probability, and geometry. I found the test to be way easier than all the practice exams I took. I finished the test in 15 minutes. The reading was just alot of focusing, none of the practice material will prepare you for it. They give a three-sentence passage and choices that relate to the passage the most. Some questions are obvious some are not. My biggest tip is to analyze each sentence and understand it before moving on to the next. Finished it with 5 minutes remaining. I didn't really prep for the mechanics as much. I think this section is what got me. Just know the concepts majority of questions its either you know or don't know. Barely any calculation. I saw some questions from Barron so I recommend picking up that book. The section that left me most disappointed was the ANIT. Prior to taking this test, I thought the section I would do best in would be the ANIT. I prepped so much for it yet I got caught off guard and I was surprised by how much I didn't know. Basically, almost all of what I studied didn’t appear and there were some questions that I didn’t even see/read. It was about half Navy questions and half aviation questions. I saw no helo questions and maybe one airport question regarding lights. I think I got 50/60% correct. I read and watched alot of material regarding the ANIT and did pretty much all or as many practice exams as I could take but still wasn't enough. The UAV was easy, I got all the answers right. It's similar to the ASTB prep app where the announcer will ask for the target. I will warn anyone who takes it there will be moments when the announcer will not say anything. Throttle and stick was pretty easy as well. I found it easier than Janzem sim they don't say numbers as frequently but one thing that caught me off guard was the letter 'h' and 8(both sounded similar). The structure is still the same so all the buttons that everyone has mentioned previously from their exam have not changed. The Terrain I found it both easier and harder than the ASTB prep app. It's easier to identify and navigate the surrounding terrain on the actual ASTB but it's not multiple choice they give you a cardinal direction compass(again, no multiple choice) and you have to click the correct direction on that compass, which I found to be more difficult since you cannot estimate like the prep app. I think I did decent here but probably got some wrong here.

Any Tips on the ANIT? To people who originally scored low but improved what did you do to improve? Before studying for this test I had zero Navy and aviation knowledge so I had to do alot of learning. I did alot of reading, practice exams, and lecture videos(watched a little bit of the MIT flight videos). Any good resources for learning about Navy stuff? or Aviation? Also, did anyone get a radio question? I forgot what the question was it sounded something like "if 1337(forgot the number) were to call x where would he call(something like that)?" I think one of the choices was VOR. I forgot the rest of the choices.
Did you not use the flash cards?