• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

Chimchi

LiveLifeFull
How's it going guys, I plan on submitting my package (SNA) with the following scores:
51 6/8/6
3.33 GPA Aviation Management
140hrs/PPL
I was wondering how competitive I am or if should I retest. Thanks!
Definitely competitive. Anything 6 or above is deemed competitive. Congrats brother!

mmandziak

How's it going guys, I plan on submitting my package (SNA) with the following scores:
51 6/8/6
3.33 GPA Aviation Management
140hrs/PPL
I was wondering how competitive I am or if should I retest. Thanks!
common consensus is that they only look at PFAR and GPA for SNA so you should be good, the two 6's are not bad either. Flight hours and PPL do not matter and will not help or harm you.

mmandziak

I felt solid when I took the ANIT portion. This was a focal point while studying. As for PBM, I've used the ASTB Prep App, I think I got 8 UAV wrong simply because I was nervous and perhaps over thinking it. I only get on average 2-3 wrong using the UAV simulator on the app but during the test I found it harder to think clearly. The Dichomy testing was one that I think bit in my butt because I assumed that only one targeted ear were to be used and didn't catch on til later that target ears switched in the middle of the test so totally screwed that one haha. Finally for stick/throttle, I simply used the ASTB Prep App simulator but least prepared for it. I have windows and havnt figured out a way to hook up my stick/throttle i purchased from Amazon to my computer. Math I felt okay, got thru all questions. I'd say I felt I did 60% there, RCT reading was easy in my opinion, and MCT mechanics was the one where I still had questions even though I was timed out.
8 UAV wrong will hurt you. It's also more about speed AND accuracy then either one of them on its own. Dichotic Listening is a big factor in your PFAR score...just how big though? No one but the Navy knows. I would purchase a Saitek x52 HOTAS to practice the stick and throttle at home over the next month as it is the same one they issue during the test. Took me about 2 weeks of practicing one hour per day to feel very comfortable on the test. If you are on windows I would definitely use the jantzen simulator. There is plenty of information about it on the forum.

Chimchi

LiveLifeFull
8 UAVs wrong will hurt you. It's also more about speed AND accuracy than either one of them. Dichotic Listening is a big factor in your PFAR score...just how big though? No one but the Navy knows. I would purchase a Saitek x52 HOTAS to practice the stick and throttle at home over the next month as it is the same one they issue during the test. Took me about 2 weeks of practicing one hour per day to feel very comfortable on the test. If you are on windows I would definitely use the jantzen simulator. There is plenty of information about it on the forum.
Thanks for pointing out the Jantzen simulator, and will practice religiously between now and test. 1 hr/day for 2 weeks sounds reasonable. I think thats what hurt me the most apart from UAV. I may need to draw out a rose compass instead of orienting UAV position in my head 🤣.
Biggest Takeaway for me is to slow down, breathe, and follow instructions. Aside from PBM, I need to improve on math problems. I just don't know how I got a OAR 40, much worse than I expected. Need to hit the books again.

mmandziak

Thanks for pointing out the Jantzen simulator, and will practice religiously between now and test. 1 hr/day for 2 weeks sounds reasonable. I think thats what hurt me the most apart from UAV. I may need to draw out a rose compass instead of orienting UAV position in my head 🤣.
Biggest Takeaway for me is to slow down, breathe, and follow instructions. Aside from PBM, I need to improve on math problems. I just don't know how I got a OAR 40, much worse than I expected. Need to hit the books again.
it is in your hands, do the work and you will succeed. Draw a basic compass for UAV portion (N S E W) and a compass rose for the terrain ID.

23brooks23

First time post but just wanted to throw my scores out there since I just took the astb for the first time today going for SNA.
53 7/8/7
64 LPSS ( Still don't know what this is)
I feel really good about it but my GPA is only a 2.7. Im currently in a career oriented flight school and I have 150 hrs with my ppl and instrument rating. I should have 250 hours and all of my civilian ratings by Sep-Oct.

Hanes22

Hello everybody.

I am taking my ASTB-E this upcoming Monday and I am pretty familiar with everything that will be on the test. I am still a little unsure about what the emergency procedures will look like. I've heard very vague descriptions, but if anyone could provide me with a more detailed explanation of them that would be great!

mmandziak

Hello everybody.

I am taking my ASTB-E this upcoming Monday and I am pretty familiar with everything that will be on the test. I am still a little unsure about what the emergency procedures will look like. I've heard very vague descriptions, but if anyone could provide me with a more detailed explanation of them that would be great!
There are 2 knobs on the throttle labeled E and I respectively. During the emergency procedures portion of the test, you will be tracking both targets while a voice sounds off in your ear. Only one emergency will be presented at a time and they always go in the same order (Fire -> Engine -> Propeller)

Procedures are as follows:

Fire -
E knob all the way right
I knob all the way right
Press I knob

Engine -
E knob all the way left
I knob all the way left
Press I knob

Propeller -
E knob neutral
I knob all the way left
Press I knob

Chimchi

LiveLifeFull
Need to also make sure you don't get too distracted by the practice test they give you before it rolls into the actual test. I didn't notice when it made the transition and wasn't fully focused.