• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

Fom

ɥo ɥ∩
My recruiter mentioned the word through the rumor mill is that the next boards might not be for over a year. Anyone have any real information on this? Last I heard before this was October for next boards

amr3991

Hello All! I am gearing up to take the ASTB in the next two weeks, hopefully, but my recruiter is sort of ghosting me. I want to be prepared just in case. I have the Barrons Military Aptitude book and have also been using the ASTB prep app. I have only been studying for a week and a half. However, I have a couple of questions.

1. The mechanical comprehension practice test I have taken this far have been pretty easy, but the test on the ASTB app is much harder and technical. Which has me pretty worried. I was wondering if the real test is more similar to the prep app? I saw someone mention earlier that studying the Barrons book is sufficient, but I just want to make sure. This is my first time taking it.

2. I have practiced the UAV component of the test and I have gotten my time down to 2-3 seconds. How can I get faster? I have been using the compass trick. I was wondering if I should rely on the voice dictating what target I should pick or just use the what is written and attempt to get faster.

3. I cannot seem to get the Terrain ID down. I am frankly quite terrible at it. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

4. For the ANIT what resources can I use to best prepare myself for the questions. The cram flashcards have been helpful, but is there a source I should focus on?
I would like to add, when practicing for the UAV on the app, use the rapid fire mode option. Test went around this speed for me.

Da200219

Hi all! I just took the ASTB for the second time this morning and scored an 8/9/9– with initial score of 5/6/6. let me preface with saying that a full month of studying with 5-7 hours per day is POSSIBLE and doable. that being said, do 1 hour at a time, it makes the amount of info you can absorb in one day sky rocket. I didn't know this score was attainable for me -- hard work definitely made me surpass my expectations.

The gouge in this forum is super awesome-- I got most of my materials from the following google drive:

https://drive.google.com/drive/fold...NREE0WFk?resourcekey=0-xDiNLH0YynLxSsiNaH711g

This google doc has the best advice I followed (a friend of mine from Gtech got a 9/9/9, I followed her advice to a T):

This is a link to all of the notecards I used to study for the ANIT portion (I knew almost every question they threw at me, but this these quizlets are by no means all encompassing-- they cover about 800 notecards worth of info):

PBM: Like many others have said, I cannot say enough good things about the new/updated Jantzen simulator-- it has Emergency procedures practice available, gets you used to it. The dichotic listening feature is also miles above the previous website-- it gives you a target ear and the score it gives you is accurate most of the time (it is a little buggy because its new-- so just practice often, don't get so concerned with your score on the sim unless you're consistently getting 0 correct, because then your settings may be wrong on your stick/throttle or you don't understand the process correctly)

link to Updated Jantzen simulator:
https://jomo1-1.github.io/ASTB-remade/

If any of the above links don't work feel free to reply or message Ill share them with you directly. My score was a result of my studying but also through help from others-- I don't believe that the ATSB is a completely solo endeavor, ask for help and use all the resources you can!

Last edited:

Da200219

ough good things about the new/updated Jantzen simulator-- it has Emergency procedures practice available, gets you used to it. The dichotic listening feature is also miles above the previous website-- it gives you a target ear and the score it gives you is accurate most of the time (it is a little buggy be

Hello all, I am prepping for the ASTB in two weeks and just started yesterday. I am a Mechanical Engineering senior and very comfortable with the math part of the exam (have gone through several practice problems) but am most ignorant of the ANIT part of the exam. I have the ASTB prep app as well as purchased the study guide linked below.

I am feeling quite overwhelmed (especially because of the sheer volume of information that I need to memorize for the ANIT portion). I have looked through this thread but am confused as to what is considered up to date information. I have downloaded all of the Kyle's google drive stuff but am still wondering if there are any good places to start or bits of information I am missing. Any suggestions are appreciated. I dont even know what gouge means lol :)
ANIT quizlets: some adapted from the mass set of 415 on the one website everyone uses, but some are adapted from other helpful gouge

https://quizlet.com/class/24720001/

andpol32

Just took my second attempt and scored 56 8/9/8. First attempt was a 49 6/7/7. My study plan was 6-7 hours/day for 3.5 weeks.

My weakest point was definitely math and I cannot emphasize enough that reps and sets are key to improving math skills. All my study material was from the Gomez drive, Kyle drive, and the Barron's book. Mechanical was very straight forward. The practice tests and Kyle's mech guides were sufficient, although I did find myself running out of practice tests/questions by the 2.5 week mark of studying. Also used this website for more algebra worksheets https://www.kutasoftware.com/freeia2.html?gad_source=1

ANIT is very broad, however, this https://quizlet.com/class/24720001/ and the cram set of flashcards was sufficient. I like the quizlet sets more because of the learn functions and you are able to track progress.

For the PBM section, I bought the Logitech x52 and did about an hour a day (30 min w/ dichotic listening). Definitely found improvement over the 3.5 weeks. By the end of my studying, I was consistently scoring < 130s on the hardest difficulty and with dichotic listening on. Used the updated sim https://jomo1-1.github.io/ASTB-remade/

If you put the time and effort in, you will have favorable results. I am two years removed from taking a math/physics class and was able to sufficiently study in 3.5 weeks. I also lived on this forum for the past 3.5 weeks - thanks to all who have posted on here!

emutoez

1. Barron’s is sufficient. Mechanical syllabus on the app is overly complicated. It’s being revamped but TwoScoops is a busy man so give him time.

2. Practice practice practice and then practice some more. Compass trick is sufficient. Anything under 2 seconds is good. Listen, don’t listen…do whatever is fastest.

3. Message me for terrain ID help. I’ve been teaching a bunch of people on here the method that I used.

4. The prep app syllabus is sufficient to learn ANIT but the cram flashcards are an easy way to get your repetitions in. ANIT subtest performance is all about how well you memorized the information.
Thank youuuu! I will message you about the terrain ID portion.

exNavyOffRec

My recruiter mentioned the word through the rumor mill is that the next boards might not be for over a year. Anyone have any real information on this? Last I heard before this was October for next boards
NRC literally just posted a new board schedule, and what he said makes zero sense. What rank is this recruiter?

Reactions: Fom

Zombie

Just took my second attempt and scored 56 8/9/8. First attempt was a 49 6/7/7. My study plan was 6-7 hours/day for 3.5 weeks.

My weakest point was definitely math and I cannot emphasize enough that reps and sets are key to improving math skills. All my study material was from the Gomez drive, Kyle drive, and the Barron's book. Mechanical was very straight forward. The practice tests and Kyle's mech guides were sufficient, although I did find myself running out of practice tests/questions by the 2.5 week mark of studying. Also used this website for more algebra worksheets https://www.kutasoftware.com/freeia2.html?gad_source=1

ANIT is very broad, however, this https://quizlet.com/class/24720001/ and the cram set of flashcards was sufficient. I like the quizlet sets more because of the learn functions and you are able to track progress.

For the PBM section, I bought the Logitech x52 and did about an hour a day (30 min w/ dichotic listening). Definitely found improvement over the 3.5 weeks. By the end of my studying, I was consistently scoring < 130s on the hardest difficulty and with dichotic listening on. Used the updated sim https://jomo1-1.github.io/ASTB-remade/

If you put the time and effort in, you will have favorable results. I am two years removed from taking a math/physics class and was able to sufficiently study in 3.5 weeks. I also lived on this forum for the past 3.5 weeks - thanks to all who have posted on here!
Can you drop your amgp file for AntiMicroX? It'll help me configure the emergency sim for the Jantzen sim which I've found challenging.

jrbltf88

Hello all,

I got disappointing results on my second ASTB attempt (I went from a 6/7/6 to a 6/6/5), even after preparing substantially more for the second attempt than I had for the first.

I was getting high 90s and 100s for my practice tests (except mechanical, I was scoring more in the mid-80s) on the app for each of the sections, and while it did help, many of the questions didn’t seem to translate well.

Around half of the questions on the math section I had not seen before in practicing with the app. The reading section seemed fine, I answered the questions and got through it. The mechanical section was the closest to the app regarding the questions, but I ran out of time at the end of the section. I was strongest at the nautical and aviation questions as I have flight experience, but I still encountered some questions that I hadn’t seen on the app or practice tests that I looked at in the drives.

It is worth mentioning that I encountered several technical issues taking the exam. I got kicked out twice during the sections and had to get the proctor to sign me back in. Also, the dichotic listening may have been messed up as the left and right audio was playing in both ears during the practice session. I tried troubleshooting it with the exam proctor but could not fix it.

The stick and throttle felt good. I practiced with the X52 beforehand and was getting 100s on the simulator on max difficulty. However, I missed one of the emergency procedures.

My FOFAR is probably the most baffling score for me. I did significantly better on the UAV questions (averaging 1.7 per question and only missing one), and I am confident I got all the terrain identification questions correct. I genuinely don’t know how I could’ve done any better, yet I got a 5 for the section. If the listening was messed up, could that have factored into this score?

My only improvement in scores from the previous attempt was an increase in OAR from 55 to 59 and an increase in LPSS from 64 to 68.

Overall, I am very disappointed, and I will be retaking the exam in late August. My proctor is investigating whether it is possible to null the second attempt scores since I encountered so many issues, but I don’t have high hopes of it working out.

My plan as of now is to study at least 4 hours a day leading up to the exam, focus more on practice tests on Google Drive rather than the app since they seem to be more encompassing of the content on the exam, and continue practicing with the X52. Any advice or insight on what may have led to the lower scores would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Da200219

Hello all,

I got disappointing results on my second ASTB attempt (I went from a 6/7/6 to a 6/6/5), even after preparing substantially more for the second attempt than I had for the first.

I was getting high 90s and 100s for my practice tests (except mechanical, I was scoring more in the mid-80s) on the app for each of the sections, and while it did help, many of the questions didn’t seem to translate well.

Around half of the questions on the math section I had not seen before in practicing with the app. The reading section seemed fine, I answered the questions and got through it. The mechanical section was the closest to the app regarding the questions, but I ran out of time at the end of the section. I was strongest at the nautical and aviation questions as I have flight experience, but I still encountered some questions that I hadn’t seen on the app or practice tests that I looked at in the drives.

It is worth mentioning that I encountered several technical issues taking the exam. I got kicked out twice during the sections and had to get the proctor to sign me back in. Also, the dichotic listening may have been messed up as the left and right audio was playing in both ears during the practice session. I tried troubleshooting it with the exam proctor but could not fix it.

The stick and throttle felt good. I practiced with the X52 beforehand and was getting 100s on the simulator on max difficulty. However, I missed one of the emergency procedures.

My FOFAR is probably the most baffling score for me. I did significantly better on the UAV questions (averaging 1.7 per question and only missing one), and I am confident I got all the terrain identification questions correct. I genuinely don’t know how I could’ve done any better, yet I got a 5 for the section. If the listening was messed up, could that have factored into this score?

My only improvement in scores from the previous attempt was an increase in OAR from 55 to 59 and an increase in LPSS from 64 to 68.

Overall, I am very disappointed, and I will be retaking the exam in late August. My proctor is investigating whether it is possible to null the second attempt scores since I encountered so many issues, but I don’t have high hopes of it working out.

My plan as of now is to study at least 4 hours a day leading up to the exam, focus more on practice tests on Google Drive rather than the app since they seem to be more encompassing of the content on the exam, and continue practicing with the X52. Any advice or insight on what may have led to the lower scores would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
The technical issues may have just been bad luck- I wouldn't let it discourage you. But I would definitely suggest to use practice tests and as many practice problems as possible rather than the app- thats most useful for UAV and terrain ID. Try to use problems from ASTB practice tests (Math and Physics topics)- Khan academy does has unlimited amounts of problems for you BUT they aren't necessarily tailored to ASTB wording/ question type.

--> If you get cut off early don't be concerned (Easier said than done). Be confident in your skills/preparation-- My first attempt I got cut off very quickly for math and physics (ended up with a 5 in that section)-- but then my second attempt I got cut off even earlier than the first time (ended up with an 8), so theres no way to tell how you're doing-- definitely don't base your performance on time. So I would just suggest tailoring your studies around your problem areas you identified from your first attempt.

--> Great website with lots of worksheets and answers for math section:

--> UAV: I wouldn't even look at your instant reaction times on the actual exam, staying calm in this section is the best advice I can can give--I ended up deciding to NOT wear the headset at the last minute. The words "east, west" etc.. show up much faster than the audio and I could react faster by just reading the target building and the using my paper compass. The audio would throw me off and really distract me--- esp if I got one wrong.

--> For Stick and throttle I made sure to practice at slow speeds as well, only practicing at fast speeds gets you too comfortable at the fastest setting- The test starts slow and gets faster, most of the testing time is spent at speeds slower than "max".

I also posted here recently with some links to ANIT quizlets and general drive links
--Hope this helps, Good luck!

Da200219

I would like to add, when practicing for the UAV on the app, use the rapid fire mode option. Test went around this speed for me.

Hello All! I am gearing up to take the ASTB in the next two weeks, hopefully, but my recruiter is sort of ghosting me. I want to be prepared just in case. I have the Barrons Military Aptitude book and have also been using the ASTB prep app. I have only been studying for a week and a half. However, I have a couple of questions.

1. The mechanical comprehension practice test I have taken this far have been pretty easy, but the test on the ASTB app is much harder and technical. Which has me pretty worried. I was wondering if the real test is more similar to the prep app? I saw someone mention earlier that studying the Barrons book is sufficient, but I just want to make sure. This is my first time taking it.

2. I have practiced the UAV component of the test and I have gotten my time down to 2-3 seconds. How can I get faster? I have been using the compass trick. I was wondering if I should rely on the voice dictating what target I should pick or just use the what is written and attempt to get faster.

3. I cannot seem to get the Terrain ID down. I am frankly quite terrible at it. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

4. For the ANIT what resources can I use to best prepare myself for the questions. The cram flashcards have been helpful, but is there a source I should focus on?
Mechanical is much more simple than the app, practice problems are helpful for conceptual understanding but I only had one calculation question in which I had to do math. Look at and understand the concepts on the gouges in here. This google drive is helpful for all sections but has really great mechanical references and study guides: https://drive.google.com/drive/fold...NREE0WFk?resourcekey=0-xDiNLH0YynLxSsiNaH711g

Let me know if you cant access it, I have links posted for a great google drive shown to me by a friend:https://drive.google.com/drive/fold...NREE0WFk?resourcekey=0-xDiNLH0YynLxSsiNaH711g

UAV: I would use what is written instead of relying on audio. To my knowledge--the "timer" for your reaction starts once the voice begins talking, the direction words show up at about 0.25-0.5 seconds before the voice begins-- reading the direction and moving your compass on your own is much faster and efficient. Also try to ignore your reaction times while its occurring, way less mental stress in the moment, allowed me to focus much better- I would practice that while you're practicing in the app.

terrain ID:

emutoez

Mechanical is much more simple than the app, practice problems are helpful for conceptual understanding but I only had one calculation question in which I had to do math. Look at and understand the concepts on the gouges in here. This google drive is helpful for all sections but has really great mechanical references and study guides: https://drive.google.com/drive/fold...NREE0WFk?resourcekey=0-xDiNLH0YynLxSsiNaH711g

Let me know if you cant access it, I have links posted for a great google drive shown to me by a friend:https://drive.google.com/drive/fold...NREE0WFk?resourcekey=0-xDiNLH0YynLxSsiNaH711g

UAV: I would use what is written instead of relying on audio. To my knowledge--the "timer" for your reaction starts once the voice begins talking, the direction words show up at about 0.25-0.5 seconds before the voice begins-- reading the direction and moving your compass on your own is much faster and efficient. Also try to ignore your reaction times while its occurring, way less mental stress in the moment, allowed me to focus much better- I would practice that while you're practicing in the app.

terrain ID:
Thank you! This is very helpful advice!