• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

shasta2346

Hello everyone, been lurking around here for the past few weeks. Just took the OAR and scored 63 I mostly just studied using Kyle's, Holly's, and Gomez's drives which I found throughout this forum. If you have any specific questions let me know I'd be happy to help.

crlong3

Hey y’all! I took the ASTB for the first time about a week and a half ago and it turned out really well with a 59, 7,9,8. I am currently going into my senior year of college with a 3.78 and am hoping to apply to the next BDCP board or do auto-select instead. My recruiter wasn’t sure if I could apply for the BDCP because my school already has a NROTC program, but said it might be possible. Since taking my ASTB (about 9 days ago), I have heard nothing back from my recruiter. I have emailed, text, and left a message by phone and have heard nothing since. He told me he would get back to me right away to schedule a medical and to fill out paperwork, etc. Any advice?

flyORdie

Hey y’all! I took the ASTB for the first time about a week and a half ago and it turned out really well with a 59, 7,9,8. I am currently going into my senior year of college with a 3.78 and am hoping to apply to the next BDCP board or do auto-select instead. My recruiter wasn’t sure if I could apply for the BDCP because my school already has a NROTC program, but said it might be possible. Since taking my ASTB (about 9 days ago), I have heard nothing back from my recruiter. I have emailed, text, and left a message by phone and have heard nothing since. He told me he would get back to me right away to schedule a medical and to fill out paperwork, etc. Any advice?
They changed the BDCP program authorization in the last few weeks. You are eligible to apply even if your school has a NROTC.
"Applicants at colleges or universities with an established NROTC unit or cross-town agreement may apply if their recruiter obtains a statement from the NROTC unit stating the applicant is not eligible for any local NROTC scholarship program." -Per the PA

I am having issues with my emergency procedures on https://jomo1-1.github.io/ASTB-remade/
View attachment 40985View attachment 40986View attachment 40987View attachment 40988
I have followed the instructions but i still get this 0/3 emergencies. is there anything that im skipping?
When you have each gauge set to the right number you are supposed to click a button on the throttle so the timer cuts off, for me its the button on the smaller nob of my throttle labeled "i" if you have the Logitech X52.

I have a question about the sim. I use a mac and bought the logitech x52. I have it all mapped and working but when I start the sim, when I go too far off the edged of the screen my mouse bugs out. Is there a fix to "lock" my mouse into the sim. Thanks
I am not 100% sure if this is your problem but if its where your avatar on the simulator freezes because your mouse is not completely integrated with the simulator then I have not been able to completely solve this problem, however what I did was go to my mac settings and make the doc at the bottom of my home screen as small as possible and right when I click start for my game I move the avatar to the bottom left or right with my mouse and then start from there with my joystick.

I have my ASTB scheduled in about a month. Super excited, currently hitting high 80s, 100%, 70s, and mid 70s-80's pretty consistently for the MST, RCT, MCT and ANIT portions (respectively) on TwoScoop's ASTB app and doing well with the performance based measures, too. Just going to tighten up on the mechanics and ANIT a bit and I think I'll be home free.

To that end, I'm still a bit worried about the rear cockpit simulator, I can stay locked on for about 30-33%, but I understand the real thing gets more complex with the dichotic listening and emergency procedures.

I've also been using Barron's too, and reviewing the drives shared here. I'm looking forward to seeing/sharing my scores. I appreciate everyone's help so far.

Any recommendations for additional resources to cover more ground?
Make sure you practice dichotic listening and tracking targets at the same time since you'll have to do it on the test as well. I was able to consistently stay locked on 45%-50% of the time after practicing for an hour or two every day and scored a 9 on the PFAR.

I just had my first attempt today and scored a 62 8/9/8. I found the shared google drives and people's individual experiences on here helpful so I thought I'd post mine.
I wanted to take the test before the semester started so I didn't have to worry about classes, and so I had the whole summer to prepare. I would just casually look over lessons in the app and take practice tests here and there for the past three months, and for the past week and a half I would study as much as I could every day. I went through every lesson on the app, took every test until I was close to perfect, and trained the UAV and Terrain sim until I was consistently getting 100%. I went through the cram flashcards several times, and looked through the gouges and tests in Kyle's Folder and Popeye's materials. I also read a few of the lessons from Barron's and Mometrix, along with taking their practice tests several times. I'm linking my gouge which was all I could remember after I left.

Math
This section ended pretty early for me, there were still 20ish minutes left before it went on to the next section. I got fewer question types than I was expecting: I didn't get any logarithms or exponents, and no questions about the time it takes to do something together. There was only one question where I thought I might need the formula sheet, but I didn't really know what to do with it so I guessed. I had a few probability questions, some percentage questions, I think only one geometry question.

Reading
Same as what everyone says: Boring, just pick the answer that is specifically in the passage

Mechanical
Like the math section, this had some different things than what I was expecting. It was all conceptual. Questions I had are in the gouge.

ANIT
I studied this part so much I thought I was going to speed right through it, but there were still some curveball questions that I didn't see anywhere on ANIT guides. It also didn't ask about so many things. Nothing about boats, airport lights/paint/signals, specific aircraft, enlisted rates, history, or anything space-related. The weirdest one was about carburetor icing and I only had a guess based on a reading passage in one of the practice tests I took.

PBM
UAV- The only difference from the app is the way the picture looks, which is a minor change but still took me a second to get used to it. I was just tapping with my finger on the app so I knew I would be slower using a mouse, so I trained this portion until I could get super fast and accurate. I was able to get it down to an average of 0.9s, I wasn't checking my speed on the test but it was still fast. The speed between questions on the test also seemed slightly faster than the fast setting on the app.

Stick/Throttle/Listening/Emergency Procedures- I thought the only part tested was when all parts were put together, but the test said that each individual test counted also. It also had a stick/throttle/listening test, then it explained the emergency procedures, and then tested it with the stick/throttle/procedures separately. Going into it I thought all four would be together. Throughout this the throttle I was using would slide around on the suction cups; I don't know how you would fix this but I think it would be a good thing to account for.

Terrain ID- Same as the app. I thought the pictures were better on the test because sometimes in the app it's hard to see anything because it's so small. Another thing I wasn't expecting was for this part to be graded on speed. I'm pretty sure the app says you just have to get it correct in the allotted time but the test said to answer as fast as you can. It also doesn't tell you if you got the question right or not which made me paranoid.

Gouge

Jowen872

I 22M just took the ASTB for the first time. Scored a 53 6/5/6. I am quite confident that I can do better if I took it again. Any input as to whether or not it would be worth taking it again would be helpful.

Now I know what to expect for the stick and throttle section. To be honest it was very difficult to use as they would move on the desk when I pushed on it. I had to put the joystick in between my legs to hold it in place. The dead zone and sensitivity was also really annoying (I just know I absolutely did horrible on this section). The listening part of it was ok however. The UAV section was flawless and I felt very confident on the terrain association.

What dragged my OAR score down was definitely the reading section. It gave me a TON of questions and was quite a grueling section. The math went very well I feel as I began getting very difficult questions with logarithms and whatnot.

For someone in my position who has still a year left of college until I graduate looking at a likely 3.3-3.4+ gpa, who has sports team experience, 1370 SAT (610 RW/760 MATH), and probably not going to need waivers. Im also quite physically fit which I thought was worth mentioning. What are my chances here (SNA)? Is it worth taking the test again at a later date or can I work with these scores?

Last edited:

monarch06

Hello everyone, been lurking around here for the past few weeks. Just took the OAR and scored 63 I mostly just studied using Kyle's, Holly's, and Gomez's drives which I found throughout this forum. If you have any specific questions let me know I'd be happy to help.
Hi, Are you able to email those drives? It's a bit of a hassle navigating through all these tabs.

mmandziak

I 22M just took the ASTB for the first time. Scored a 53 6/5/6. I am quite confident that I can do better if I took it again. Any input as to whether or not it would be worth taking it again would be helpful.

Now I know what to expect for the stick and throttle section. To be honest it was very difficult to use as they would move on the desk when I pushed on it. I had to put the joystick in between my legs to hold it in place. The dead zone and sensitivity was also really annoying (I just know I absolutely did horrible on this section). The listening part of it was ok however. The UAV section was flawless and I felt very confident on the terrain association.

What dragged my OAR score down was definitely the reading section. It gave me a TON of questions and was quite a grueling section. The math went very well I feel as I began getting very difficult questions with logarithms and whatnot.

For someone in my position who has still a year left of college until I graduate looking at a likely 3.3-3.4+ gpa, who has sports team experience, 1370 SAT (610 RW/760 MATH), and probably not going to need waivers. Im also quite physically fit which I thought was worth mentioning. What are my chances here (SNA)? Is it worth taking the test again at a later date or can I work with these scores?
nothing matters for SNA selection apart from ASTB scores and GPA. I would study hard and retake the ASTB as your GPA is more than competitive.

chonnydesu

My first attempt I got a 47 (5/6/6), it was technically passing, but was the equivalent of passing with a "d-average". I just retook the test today and got a 58 (7,8,8). I 100% recommend you retake the test again, if you put your mind to it you're 90% likely to score better. I only studied for a week this time around (6 hours a day). I'm also a senior like you and wanted to get the retest done before the semester started.

The biggest tips I can give for studying is the ASTB app on the app store ($30-ish), everything on this reddit post How to Score Well, and buying the same exact joystick as the test. I bought the same Logitech joystick/throttle from Microcenter and practiced with it for a week (Jantzen Simulator), then returned it right after I took the test lol.

PS: The next time you retake the test, remove the rubber suction cups underneath the bottom of the stick/throttle, the ones at my center were also old and caused it to slide whenever I added any force (a huge reason why I scored so low the first time).

Jowen872

My first attempt I got a 47 (5/6/6), it was technically passing, but was the equivalent of passing with a "d-average". I just retook the test today and got a 58 (7,8,8). I 100% recommend you retake the test again, if you put your mind to it you're 90% likely to score better. I only studied for a week this time around (6 hours a day). I'm also a senior like you and wanted to get the retest done before the semester started.

The biggest tips I can give for studying is the ASTB app on the app store ($30-ish), everything on this reddit post How to Score Well, and buying the same exact joystick as the test. I bought the same Logitech joystick/throttle from Microcenter and practiced with it for a week (Jantzen Simulator), then returned it right after I took the test lol.

PS: The next time you retake the test, remove the rubber suction cups underneath the bottom of the stick/throttle, the ones at my center were also old and caused it to slide whenever I added any force (a huge reason why I scored so low the first time).
I think my problem with that part of the PBM was honestly not really knowing what to expect and also slightly misunderstanding the directions. I already have a HOTAS (x56, it’s like the one in the test but newer). How did u connect ur Hotas to the sim? I’ve just been using my mouse and keyboard for now cuz the practice sim is on a browser window

mmandziak

I think my problem with that part of the PBM was honestly not really knowing what to expect and also slightly misunderstanding the directions. I already have a HOTAS (x56, it’s like the one in the test but newer). How did u connect ur Hotas to the sim? I’ve just been using my mouse and keyboard for now cuz the practice sim is on a browser window
i would practice with your HOTAS if you can figure it out. That practice will help tremendously in calming your nerves and giving you confidence during the test. The ASTB Prep App also has practice modes for all the PBM sections which helped me a ton in my studying.

Jowen872

i would practice with your HOTAS if you can figure it out. That practice will help tremendously in calming your nerves and giving you confidence during the test. The ASTB Prep App also has practice modes for all the PBM sections which helped me a ton in my studying.
Cant seem to figure out how to connect it to the game. Not really a computer guy