• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

Da200219

Hi all! I just took the ASTB for the second time this morning and scored an 8/9/9– with initial score of 5/6/6. let me preface with saying that a full month of studying with 5-7 hours per day is POSSIBLE and doable. that being said, do 1 hour at a time, it makes the amount of info you can absorb in one day sky rocket. I didn't know this score was attainable for me -- hard work definitely made me surpass my expectations.

The gouge in this forum is super awesome-- I got most of my materials from the following google drive:

https://drive.google.com/drive/fold...NREE0WFk?resourcekey=0-xDiNLH0YynLxSsiNaH711g

This google doc has the best advice I followed (a friend of mine from Gtech got a 9/9/9, I followed her advice to a T):

This is a link to all of the notecards I used to study for the ANIT portion (I knew almost every question they threw at me, but this these quizlets are by no means all encompassing-- they cover about 800 notecards worth of info):

PBM: Like many others have said, I cannot say enough good things about the new/updated Jantzen simulator-- it has Emergency procedures practice available, gets you used to it. The dichotic listening feature is also miles above the previous website-- it gives you a target ear and the score it gives you is accurate most of the time (it is a little buggy because its new-- so just practice often, don't get so concerned with your score on the sim unless you're consistently getting 0 correct, because then your settings may be wrong on your stick/throttle or you don't understand the process correctly)

link to Updated Jantzen simulator:
https://jomo1-1.github.io/ASTB-remade/

If any of the above links don't work feel free to reply or message Ill share them with you directly. My score was a result of my studying but also through help from others-- I don't believe that the ATSB is a completely solo endeavor, ask for help and use all the resources you can!
Follow up, the access to that Gtech guide has been changed for privacy reasons. I am going to work on making a drive/ documents of my own and will share it here once its finished.

Last edited:

TwoScoops

Two Scops
None
Mechanical is much more simple than the app, practice problems are helpful for conceptual understanding but I only had one calculation question in which I had to do math. Look at and understand the concepts on the gouges in here. This google drive is helpful for all sections but has really great mechanical references and study guides: https://drive.google.com/drive/fold...NREE0WFk?resourcekey=0-xDiNLH0YynLxSsiNaH711g

Let me know if you cant access it, I have links posted for a great google drive shown to me by a friend:https://drive.google.com/drive/fold...NREE0WFk?resourcekey=0-xDiNLH0YynLxSsiNaH711g

UAV: I would use what is written instead of relying on audio. To my knowledge--the "timer" for your reaction starts once the voice begins talking, the direction words show up at about 0.25-0.5 seconds before the voice begins-- reading the direction and moving your compass on your own is much faster and efficient. Also try to ignore your reaction times while its occurring, way less mental stress in the moment, allowed me to focus much better- I would practice that while you're practicing in the app.

terrain ID:
I watched the video completely, it is probably the best way to explain how to practice for the TI Test I have seen. Thanks for sharing.

I've been using the UAV simulator on the app to prepare for my first attempt and it's great, but I just realized there's an option to enable 30/60 degree offsets (NNW, ENE, etc.) and was wondering if those are included in this section on the actual test? I know they're there for the terrain ID, but I was under the impression that the UAV section only had the cardinal directions and 45-degree offsets (NW, SE, etc.).

I've been using the UAV simulator on the app to prepare for my first attempt and it's great, but I just realized there's an option to enable 30/60 degree offsets (NNW, ENE, etc.) and was wondering if those are included in this section on the actual test? I know they're there for the terrain ID, but I was under the impression that the UAV section only had the cardinal directions and 45-degree offsets (NW, SE, etc.).
Yes 30 and 60 degree offsets are included on the test. Have those turned on, use the rapid fire mode, do rounds of 20 just kind of all the time. I would crunch through a couple rounds anytime I was in the car (not driving), as a study break during finals, before eating, etc. If you can consistently score 18/20 with average time under 2.5 seconds you should be looking very good. Make sure you have audio queues on too, when you get going real fast they can be confusing but it is good practice for the test.

Hey all. I'm taking the ASTB in 2 weeks. This forum has been super helpful for my studies. I've been studying for 2 weeks and am trying to gauge where I'm at and where I need to focus more.

For math, reading, and mechanical comprehension, I am getting at least 90% on practice tests from the app and tests from drives.

For ANIT, the results are mixed. On the prep app, I'm at 100% and studied the hell out of it. On practice tests from drives, I'm getting ~80%. From the cram flashcards I found here, I feel completely unprepared.

For PBM, I'm getting at least 90% for listening, TId, and UAV with 1.5s reaction time consistently. I think stick and throttle is a weak point, as I'm plateaued at 30% on prep app. I tried the Jantzen sim and am doing horribly, about 150/100 on one tick below hardest.

Any recommendations on sources for ANIT section? What should I be shooting for on my PBMs?

fearedengineer

Hey all. I'm taking the ASTB in 2 weeks. This forum has been super helpful for my studies. I've been studying for 2 weeks and am trying to gauge where I'm at and where I need to focus more.

For math, reading, and mechanical comprehension, I am getting at least 90% on practice tests from the app and tests from drives.

For ANIT, the results are mixed. On the prep app, I'm at 100% and studied the hell out of it. On practice tests from drives, I'm getting ~80%. From the cram flashcards I found here, I feel completely unprepared.

For PBM, I'm getting at least 90% for listening, TId, and UAV with 1.5s reaction time consistently. I think stick and throttle is a weak point, as I'm plateaued at 30% on prep app. I tried the Jantzen sim and am doing horribly, about 150/100 on one tick below hardest.

Any recommendations on sources for ANIT section? What should I be shooting for on my PBMs?
Make sure to read the FAA handbook or at least look at recommended chapters. That’s what helped me really learn more about flying. You seem to be doing well in everything else I think you will be fine. For the Jantzem sim I recommended to start slow then increment up. Because on the actual ASTB it starts slow then gets faster. The actual ASTB is a lot easier than Janzem. I think your stick and throttle is fine. I think I was averaging 120-150(hardest level) and I scored a 9 on my PFAR. What score are you aiming for?

Make sure to read the FAA handbook or at least look at recommended chapters. That’s what helped me really learn more about flying. You seem to be doing well in everything else I think you will be fine. For the Jantzem sim I recommended to start slow then increment up. Because on the actual ASTB it starts slow then gets faster. The actual ASTB is a lot easier than Janzem. I think your stick and throttle is fine. I think I was averaging 120-150(hardest level) and I scored a 9 on my PFAR. What score are you aiming for?
My gpa is 3.6 but everything else on my package is extremely lacking, so I want to get as high as possible on this test.

fearedengineer

My gpa is 3.6 but everything else on my package is extremely lacking, so I want to get as high as possible on this test.
If you’re worried about getting picked look at the spreadsheet. We’re at a good window right now. I was in July board and I think we had 88% acceptance rate. But you’re on a good track I wouldn’t worry too much about it keep studying and keep up the good work. Also remember you have 3 tries which is more than enough. Most people do better each run.

Hi all! I just took the ASTB for the second time this morning and scored an 8/9/9– with initial score of 5/6/6. let me preface with saying that a full month of studying with 5-7 hours per day is POSSIBLE and doable. that being said, do 1 hour at a time, it makes the amount of info you can absorb in one day sky rocket. I didn't know this score was attainable for me -- hard work definitely made me surpass my expectations.

The gouge in this forum is super awesome-- I got most of my materials from the following google drive:

https://drive.google.com/drive/fold...NREE0WFk?resourcekey=0-xDiNLH0YynLxSsiNaH711g

This google doc has the best advice I followed (a friend of mine from Gtech got a 9/9/9, I followed her advice to a T):

This is a link to all of the notecards I used to study for the ANIT portion (I knew almost every question they threw at me, but this these quizlets are by no means all encompassing-- they cover about 800 notecards worth of info):

PBM: Like many others have said, I cannot say enough good things about the new/updated Jantzen simulator-- it has Emergency procedures practice available, gets you used to it. The dichotic listening feature is also miles above the previous website-- it gives you a target ear and the score it gives you is accurate most of the time (it is a little buggy because its new-- so just practice often, don't get so concerned with your score on the sim unless you're consistently getting 0 correct, because then your settings may be wrong on your stick/throttle or you don't understand the process correctly)

link to Updated Jantzen simulator:
https://jomo1-1.github.io/ASTB-remade/

If any of the above links don't work feel free to reply or message Ill share them with you directly. My score was a result of my studying but also through help from others-- I don't believe that the ATSB is a completely solo endeavor, ask for help and use all the resources you can!
could you please share these links with me please, I will send you a direct message of my email.

23brooks23

Retired Wr
If you’re worried about getting picked look at the spreadsheet. We’re at a good window right now. I was in July board and I think we had 88% acceptance rate. But you’re on a good track I wouldn’t worry too much about it keep studying and keep up the good work. Also remember you have 3 tries which is more than enough. Most people do better each run.
Do you know the actual number of people selected in your board. And how many applied. I was trying to look on the Google sheets like with the previous boards but no one has updated it.

Where can I find the spread sheet and all of the factors that qualify you or disqualify you from being accepted?

Reactions: Fom

amr3991

Regarding ANIT: Gonna add (granted i didnt score well on the astb, but still one thing i experienced and was confident about) the cram flashcards are crucial. I got my main knowledge from barrons and the cram cards. Just studying the first 200-250 cram cards made the world of difference. Found lots of questions from cram on the test. Confidently answered about 60% because of cram and barrons basic knowledge of an aircraft. I only came across two ship questions.