• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

katef35

Hello! I am a 1/C MIDN in NROTC. On my second attempt, I got a 5,7,5. I will be retaking the test on September 2nd and hoping to get 7 or 8+ on all three categories as I will be commissioning in May. My unit is very competitive with everyone already scoring constant 8's and 9's. I have been on this forum for quite a while, and I have a TON of resources for studying and purchased the Logitek X52 stick and throttle. Although there are a lot of resources, is there any specific schedule anyone would recommend for keeping me on track for studying? I definitely need the most help with the mechanics and math sections. If anyone could give some of their study habits, schedules, or any advice on taking my last attempt that would be great!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hello! I am a 1/C MIDN in NROTC. On my second attempt, I got a 5,7,5. I will be retaking the test on September 2nd and hoping to get 7 or 8+ on all three categories as I will be commissioning in May. My unit is very competitive with everyone already scoring constant 8's and 9's. I have been on this forum for quite a while, and I have a TON of resources for studying and purchased the Logitek X52 stick and throttle. Although there are a lot of resources, is there any specific schedule anyone would recommend for keeping me on track for studying? I definitely need the most help with the mechanics and math sections. If anyone could give some of their study habits, schedules, or any advice on taking my last attempt that would be great!

Have you asked your peers these same questions?

Fom

ɥo ɥ∩
Fine balance of using the maximum amount of time you have available, without burning yourself out. I assigned myself a certain number of pages or a section of the Barron's book per day, and then took a corresponding practice test the next day to make sure I actually retained the material. Sim trainer every single day. Hit the flash cards whenever I was walking my dog lol. Full review a week or two out from the exam date ideally, using a personalized gouge you put together as you make your way through the material.

Last edited:

Da200219

I've been using the UAV simulator on the app to prepare for my first attempt and it's great, but I just realized there's an option to enable 30/60 degree offsets (NNW, ENE, etc.) and was wondering if those are included in this section on the actual test? I know they're there for the terrain ID, but I was under the impression that the UAV section only had the cardinal directions and 45-degree offsets (NW, SE, etc.).
yes they are included but the "buildings" will rotate to correspond with the 30/60 degree offset of the "plane" on the map-- its not as confusing as you think but definitely turn this setting ON for your app practice. Your compass (if you're using one- i'd recommend it) only needs N/S/E/W and the 45 degree angle lines between (the in between lines don't need to be labeled "NW", "SW,", "SE" or anything, they can just be simple lines for reference use)

Da200219

Split it into hours that you want to dedicate to each topic, daily-- id try to hit every subject everyday. Im not great with math so I focused to most of my daily studies on math and ANIT. But identify your problem areas and tailor your studying toward those-- but hitting all subjects daily makes for good memory recall on test day.

chonnydesu

So for the audio queues portion, are we only supposed to listen for odds/evens for the specific ear indicated? (Left/Right)?

Would we get point deductions for pressing the buttons for the wrong ear? I'm not sure if this part is graded on accuracy (only hitting the correct queues) or just making sure you get them all (including the wrong ones)?

Average Monke

A primate with internet access
So for the audio queues portion, are we only supposed to listen for odds/evens for the specific ear indicated? (Left/Right)?

Would we get point deductions for pressing the buttons for the wrong ear? I'm not sure if this part is graded on accuracy (only hitting the correct queues) or just making sure you get them all (including the wrong ones)?
Everything during the ASTB is graded for accuracy including the dichotic listening section. It's not really something you prepare for so I suggest studying for other sections.

I have a question about the sim. I use a mac and bought the logitech x52. I have it all mapped and working but when I start the sim, when I go too far off the edged of the screen my mouse bugs out. Is there a fix to "lock" my mouse into the sim. Thanks

Fom

ɥo ɥ∩
I have a question about the sim. I use a mac and bought the logitech x52. I have it all mapped and working but when I start the sim, when I go too far off the edged of the screen my mouse bugs out. Is there a fix to "lock" my mouse into the sim. Thanks
Very likely to do with browser zoom. Check the site instructions, but I think you need to change the zoom from 100% to 67% or something like that for laptops

Very likely to do with browser zoom. Check the site instructions, but I think you need to change the zoom from 100% to 67% or something like that for laptops
I made sure to be in the right zoom. It is fine when the plane is towards the center of the screen but when it goes to the edges is when it gets screwed up.

mmandziak

I had this problem too. I switched to using the prep app stick and throttle sim. It’s much better than jantzen.

NKMess

I have my ASTB scheduled in about a month. Super excited, currently hitting high 80s, 100%, 70s, and mid 70s-80's pretty consistently for the MST, RCT, MCT and ANIT portions (respectively) on TwoScoop's ASTB app and doing well with the performance based measures, too. Just going to tighten up on the mechanics and ANIT a bit and I think I'll be home free.

To that end, I'm still a bit worried about the rear cockpit simulator, I can stay locked on for about 30-33%, but I understand the real thing gets more complex with the dichotic listening and emergency procedures.

I've also been using Barron's too, and reviewing the drives shared here. I'm looking forward to seeing/sharing my scores. I appreciate everyone's help so far.

Any recommendations for additional resources to cover more ground?