• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1Nov2021 SNA/SNFO Board

Val135

I use to play a lot of FPS, typically without inverted controls. I’m not uncomfortable with inverted controls though. I play mostly RPGs now. But went back to FPS inverted controller to “study”. My wife was concerned I wasn’t actually studying while I was playing, it is definitely an atypical study tactic.

krae3443

I with you on this, Using a joystick "inverted" (the way it should be IMO) was second nature for me. Therefore, playing FPS games with inverted controls did nothing for me and actually slowed me down when I went back because I was having to consciously think about my inputs. I think the place you will be able to make up the most ground is the UAV and the listening tests. The listening is brutal because its super hard to understand what is being said when they talk over each other.
There are some YouTube videos that I remember finding that if you put headphones on kind of replicated the hearing. Definitely something for people who are retesting or taking the test for their first time to check out. Also like best advice to anyone as someone who had no video game experience or flight sim experience I just told myself to breath and relax as I took it and got a 6/6/7. Staying calm I feel is key because if you start freaking out that it’s going bad you will not do well.

enzy24

#2.) To those of you that killed the astb part. Did you guys play video games on inverted controls? How did you do so good?
I've always played games inverted but I think what helped most was the simulator someone posted on this site. Invested in a cheapish hotas throttle and joystick to make it even more analogous to the test

FloridaDad

I with you on this, Using a joystick "inverted" (the way it should be IMO) was second nature for me. Therefore, playing FPS games with inverted controls did nothing for me and actually slowed me down when I went back because I was having to consciously think about my inputs. I think the place you will be able to make up the most ground is the UAV and the listening tests. The listening is brutal because its super hard to understand what is being said when they talk over each other.
Thankfully the listening is the one and only place where having a music degree helps me here. The listening test on the ASTB is absolutely nothing compared to having a professor sit down at the piano, say, "this is in the key of C# major," play 8 bars of music, and then expect you to perfectly and exactly copy down what they just played including all 4 voices moving in different directions with different rhythms. Oh... and you have to get the pitch right and good freaking luck if they change keys at any point or use any 7 chords or borrowed tones! Ya... the practice I've done for the listening has felt like a cakewalk compared to that torturous crap hahaha

FloridaDad

I'm seriously having trouble grasping the fact that people play video games any way other than with an inverted y axis. That seems so uncomfortable! I guess I understand how the test is so hard if you're used to "normal" because I can't imagine re-training 30 years of muscle memory!