• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1Nov2021 SNA/SNFO Board

BB Poison

Contributor
@OldArmyChris and anyone who got their #2 choice and are think about saying no....TAKE THE SLOT GODDAMMIT. This is your chance to serve, and to serve at the highest level. They make movies about this job!

This aint my first rodeo. This is my NINTH F'ING RODEO. I have been through the pipeline 9 different times and got cut 8 times until today. You are 23. On my 23rd birthday I was sitting on a couch staring at a wall because 9 days before I dislocated my shoulder in a training accident at Fort Knox and lost my ROTC scholarship. That's why I needed a medical waiver. I kept applying for JAG slots, kept going to the interviews, kept rewriting my writing sample, getting new LOR's, all to get the same form letter in the mail THREE TIMES. For 10 years all the "what if's" in my head. They don't go away. Honestly, I gave up on this. I gained 60 pounds just from not caring, and it took me 5 years to lose that weight.

May 2020. I am 31 years old, I lost BOTH of my jobs in the last month, and I walked into an enlisted recruiter's office. I was ready to mop the floor of the chow hall for the next 4 years and I would be happy to do it just to get my chance to serve. I see what my options are. I apply for Air Force JAG three times in 2020 and 2021. REJECTED. I found out they send an email now instead of a letter. Same thing for Army JAG. Did the interview, spent 2 months drafting a new writing sample on the pandemic eviction ban, REJECTED AGAIN. Navy says talk to an officer recruiter, I take the test, and here we are today.

Saying no to NFO is like being offered the job of rock star and saying no because they want you to be the bassist instead of lead singer. ARE YOU CRAZY???? THIS IS YOUR CHANCE! I don't want you to go through the same last 10 years I did. There is a chance we will get NAMI whammys and not get to be NFO's anyways. Do you want a commission? Do you want to serve your country? Do you want to provide a good life for your family? TAKE THE SLOT and I will see you on March 6th.

Motivating, I appreciate it and I’m damn happy you made it. I’ve chewed it over this morning and decided to call my best friend and brother, who’s always given me sound advice. I let him know what was going on, and that if I declined and reapplied as SNA I’d be hurting my chances, and he made a pretty astute observation. He said “Chris, the man that I’ve known for the past 12 years, who’s been talking about being a Navy pilot since we were kids, would be willing to risk everything to follow his dream.” Needless to say, I have some thinking to do over the next week.

RSPaviator

2 Quick questions:

#1.) To the people that got selected. Did you guys turn in your log book or scans of your log book with your packet? My recruiter never mentioned it to me.

#2.) To those of you that killed the astb part. Did you guys play video games on inverted controls? How did you do so good?
I got flight controls and downloaded a TBAS simulator, I got a 9 on the PFAR, and I know the TBAS is for AF but it’s so similar and it helps with the directional portion

exNavyOffRec

The winners here are those that went for SNFO, the dashboard had 78 who applied and there were 54 selected, some of those applied for both SNA and SNFO so per dashboard a no for SNFO should be a rarity and they only but a few in FY 23.

The good and bad for SNA is that they way over-selected again (good if on this board, bad if looking at future board), technically to fix things they should have had very low selections but instead selected 101 with it looks like all in FY 23, that combined with the 150 they already moved from FY 22 to FY 23 means there are now over 250 SNA already picked for FY 23 and FY 22 only had a goal of 286 SNA's. This means not only have they used up nearly all of the FY 23 spots they now still have a problem of too many SNA's in selected status, some will drop for various reasons but still not good.

I would be extremely nervous if I was thinking about trying for SNA in May given what just happened.

flatspinturkeyb

69 9/9/9 GPA: b4d
I GOT THE CALL! Pro-rec YES Class 06-23!!!

I know some of you guys were taking my getting in for granted due to the 69/9/9/9 ASTB but I had many issues with my application. First, age waiver, I'm 32, turning 33, and will be almost 34 by the time I'd finish OCS. They'll be signing my death certificate soon.

Second, my GPA was calculated at way below a 2.5. That's below what the copy-paste usually says at the bottom of results about how they didn't accept anyone with below a 2.5 GPA. I don't know if I should be proud of this or not but the board change the text to reflect that they let me squeak by along with an NFO. I made plenty of excuses for this in my motivational statement and even had a separate document (waiver?) to sign about my GPA. I guess they're letting anyone in now.

Third, medical waiver. During MEPS they heard a heart murmur and also I had apparently failed the depth perception vision test. For the murmur an off-site MEPS doc at a follow-up appointment diagnosed me with Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) and I got an automated letter in the mail from DOD that it was a disqualifying condition but my recruiter said a medical waiver will be fine and apparently it worked. Turns out MVP is one of those things with varying severity and the doc probably said no-factor or non-symptomatic, and I've been a high-level recreational endurance athlete my whole life and had no idea. MVP is covered in the navy docs medical PDF I pasted below and even though I got the medical waiver and pro-rec Y I'm still pessimistic about getting NAMI-whammied as soon as I get to OCS. I wish there was a way for me to get a full flight physical before I leave my life behind. As for the vision I have 20/20 and never needed correction so the depth perception is a surprise. I retook the depth perfection test and despite feeling like I performed similarly to my first time they apparently accepted it. I stuck on the 3rd or 4th set of shiny circles.

Awkbird

Congrats everyone selected and good luck next time to everyone else. I'm still waiting on the Medical Service Corps board results.

krae3443

So, any tips on making my package better for the next go around in May? Like I said, I scored a 53 6/8/6 on my second attempt so I don’t know if I should risk taking the ASTB again. A few people had lower scores than me and were picked up so I think they’re pretty decent. Should I try and incorporate flight hours? Still stunned over the news so I’m trying to give myself the next best possible chance. I also have a waiver for LASIK but all of my medical came back good and I waited the 6+ months to apply. Hoping that wasn’t the issue because I’m seeing 20/15 now

any advice would be welcome. Thanks y’all!
Maybe work on the statement some that’s something you can definitely do easily. I only had one rec letter but looks like some people had more so maybe see if you can add another or have a different person write one. If have the time age wise I would definitely see what you can incorporate statement wise, flight hours, and LOR wise since you already took the astb twice. It wouldn’t hurt to try the other stuff and saving your third attempt as a last option kind of thing.

jakebacc

44 5/7/7; GPA: 3.46; Pro-Rec: Y SNFO; Class 02-23
I was picked up NFO, but had SNA as my first choice. I gotta chew on this one for a second, but I’m leaning towards accepting that NFO offer after that motivational speech and what exNavyOffRec had to say. Congrats to all those pro rec Y’s today!

FloridaDad

The winners here are those that went for SNFO, the dashboard had 78 who applied and there were 54 selected, some of those applied for both SNA and SNFO so per dashboard a no for SNFO should be a rarity and they only but a few in FY 23.

The good and bad for SNA is that they way over-selected again (good if on this board, bad if looking at future board), technically to fix things they should have had very low selections but instead selected 101 with it looks like all in FY 23, that combined with the 150 they already moved from FY 22 to FY 23 means there are now over 250 SNA already picked for FY 23 and FY 22 only had a goal of 286 SNA's. This means not only have they used up nearly all of the FY 23 spots they now still have a problem of too many SNA's in selected status, some will drop for various reasons but still not good.

I would be extremely nervous if I was thinking about trying for SNA in May given what just happened.

If May is cancelled, how do things look SNA wise for the board after that? I want so badly to be an SNA, but if it's really THAT bad I'm afraid that even 8's or even all 9's won't be enough for someone like me with a 2.5 GPA

Mike D.

Contributor
I was picked up NFO, but had SNA as my first choice. I gotta chew on this one for a second, but I’m leaning towards accepting that NFO offer after that motivational speech and what exNavyOffRec had to say. Congrats to all those pro rec Y’s today!
Take it. Just take it. I can put you in touch with an NFO that has been in since 2018..so pretty new if you want to pick his brain.