• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1Nov2021 SNA/SNFO Board

FloridaDad

First, BIG congratulations to everyone who got selected. I want to give some words of encouragement and advice to those who were not selected: If you still really want to become a naval aviator or flight officer but are afraid of not being good enough or these results discourage you, go and do it anyway.

This is your dream career and dream life on the line. In the civilian world, I work in emergency healthcare and its truly shown me that you get one shot on earth. I can't waste a single moment or have regrets. My acceptance came after I tried a few unsuccessful previous times and as I've said before, I was very close to not resubmitting to this board because I felt like absolute useless garbage. I started the application process over 2 years ago and have been at this so long that I've had 3 different recruiters because they either retired or moved somewhere else. At MEPS I was initially disqualified for a significant medical reason that I had to overcome while growing up but I made it out of the woods for good and MEPS approved my waiver after months and months of waiting. I have zero flight experience. And I'm no insanely bright LED lightbulb. My college transcript has a "Withdrew" mark on it for a math class, I didn't get all 9's on the ASTBE, and my first few motivational statements in my rejected applications were CRINGE. One of the things that hurt most was that I had to end some friendships after I told them I wanted to do this because they berated my choice to serve and let politics drive us apart.

But I think what did make a difference this last time is that I played my cards more strategically despite a "meh" deck. First, I swallowed my pride and really pushed myself to get my writing thoroughly proofread and roasted critiqued. I made it clearer about why I wanted to be here in terms of leadership, related some of the skills I picked up from my major and profession to how thats useful in the Navy, and discussed my academic blooper with that class I withdrew from. I asked even higher up workplace leadership to submit letters of rec then got promoted at work. I also changed my physical activity routines to something more impressive than what were on the last applications. There are a few other misc. changes I made that I feel made it easier for the board to see me as "entirely" as possible. I did not retake the ASTB because I did not feel like I had ample time to review materials between board due dates and my insane worklife as a 12.5 hour nightshift jockey.

Everyone reapplying will have varying circumstances and will therefore need to play their cards differently than I did, but the point is that assuming you don't have any non-waiverable disqualifications, this career is for you if you WANT IT. My father told me first compete with yourself then compete against others. You've got this. And for those who are thinking of not applying because it would be more comfortable just not to, let me put it this way: no amount of comfort will allow you to live with regret. Wishing everyone all the best.
I love all of this, but at 30 (31 by next board) I really do feel the pressure that it's do or die. I don't get shot after shot at this, I feel so much pressure to get it right the first time. Wish me luck :)

bcal

Pro-Rec-Y SNA 06-23! Absolutely stoked! Accepted with 63 8-9-8, 2 O-5 and 1 O-7 LOR and 2.8 GPA!

Keep your head up for those still seeking that Y. The path you seek is a noble one.

Fair winds and following seas always.
See you in November! Congratulations!

Pro-Rec-Y SNA 06-23! Absolutely stoked! Accepted with 63 8-9-8, 2 O-5 and 1 O-7 LOR and 2.8 GPA!

Keep your head up for those still seeking that Y. The path you seek is a noble one.

Fair winds and following seas always.
That's awesome. Congrats! What did you study/do to get a 9 pfar?