• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

22MAY2023 SNA/SNFO Board

ScottL

SNA Pro-Rec Y
The actual affect of COVID on OCS was not that bad, it was the huge reduction of SNA/SNFO spots while the one board was in process which resulted in a huge over-selection. If COVID was truly a more than minor factor all the designators would be affected, not just SNA and to a lesser extent SNFO.
I just assume those training pipelines are more susceptible to the types of protections that were put in place because of COVID. I mean they ROM'd entire CAGs on the ship pre-deployment, I think it's likely they'd be pretty risk averse for something like putting people in trainer jets in a viral environment.

exNavyOffRec

I just assume those training pipelines are more susceptible to the types of protections that were put in place because of COVID. I mean they ROM'd entire CAGs on the ship pre-deployment, I think it's likely they'd be pretty risk averse for something like putting people in trainer jets in a viral environment.
There is a difference between delay's in training and delays in accessions, OCS has not run at full capacity for about a dozen years which I am sure helped for distancing during COVID, but the issue for SNA's pre OCS and the numbers that are backlogged correlate with the reduction in goals. If you removed the numbers over what the goal should have been in Nov 21 everything would be normal, well as normal as things can be with recruiting.

Connordl1120

Pro Rec Y - NFO
Any thoughts on when results will take to be released? I ask because for the 07Nov board results came out 3 weeks later on 28Nov. Is it usually 3-4 weeks?

FlyingGamecock

Any thoughts on when results will take to be released? I ask because for the 07Nov board results came out 3 weeks later on 28Nov. Is it usually 3-4 weeks?
Assume a full month. Be happy if it comes sooner, expect it to be a few days later. Last three boards were 32, 37, 32 days

nefalexa

From the Share drive, this is a "snippet" for OCM boards made available to us (AD).

Directly from GENOFF Director, the OCM has (especially in recent years) focused on "whole package" ESPECIALLY, with low quotas. My Skipper sat these boards (skipper for one of the 2 strike pipeline training bases FYI, your guess), prior to taking command. He said The following;

9s (assuming good overall package and quotas) are in the right (yes) pile, Likely immediately. A 9 will NOT overshadow a bad GPA/bad package.
7/8 is where the "battle" or "crunch" takes place.
6s are RARE, usually looked at if quotas are available and 7-9 have already been crunched. 5 and below, good luck ??

If you are an applicant with 7 or better in PFAR/FOFAR (designator depending) and you only have that one shot left, I implore you; unless you can say with out a doubt you'll score better, Don't shoot yourself in the foot. All you need is to bomb that test and bye bye dreams.

Focus on the WHOLE package. My final package was 0.1mb away from being too large (compressed) to send off. I have applied 5 times, this board being number 5. Focus on what you can do to make your package better than the next guys, other than ASTB. I may not get in this time or the next, hell the navy may tell me to stop applying who knows. If you want it keep going.

Good luck ?? catch up when the AT BOARD list pops. View attachment 38019View attachment 38020
How hard is this hard no to family ties thing?

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA

My from understanding that really comes into play during the SF86, which you do/and have to pass before you submit.

Also, when the FBI people interview you for your top secret security clearance, and SCI clearance which is usually right before you hit the RAG after winging.

Just don’t lie, be honest. They know the answers to the questions before they ask you ahhaha

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA
My from understanding that really comes into play during the SF86, which you do/and have to pass before you submit.

Also, when the FBI people interview you for your top secret security clearance, and SCI clearance which is usually right before you hit the RAG after winging.

Just don’t lie, be honest. They know the answers to the questions before they ask you ahhaha

It’s also not a “hard no” unless it is immediate connection with debt in that country. Money is where you run into problems, and/or business relations with one of our “enemies”

ScottL

SNA Pro-Rec Y
I'm not sure how it works for non AD, but for package stuff specifically I don't believe there's any information about your family in there, so it shouldn't figure in for you going to OCS. Could make things more difficult down the road for getting TS/SCI (which not every Avi officer requires) but as long as you coordinate with your security officer and do the necessary paperwork for the most part it's out of your hands. Concealing is always a no, but you're not necessarily ineligible just for having foreign contacts or family.

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA
I'm not sure how it works for non AD, but for package stuff specifically I don't believe there's any information about your family in there, so it shouldn't figure in for you going to OCS. Could make things more difficult down the road for getting TS/SCI (which not every Avi officer requires) but as long as you coordinate with your security officer and do the necessary paperwork for the most part it's out of your hands. Concealing is always a no, but you're not necessarily ineligible just for having foreign contacts or family.

I’m non AD, I had to fill out some stuff about it.

Not sure how much we can talk about that. Pretty sure all the security questionnaires are confidential.

Last edited:

ScottL

SNA Pro-Rec Y
Also hearing from someone who is in the Navy, and is a pilot. He said “the board is literally ran by a computer”.

Marines do it differently and honestly wish the Navy ran theirs the same way. Your Marine OSO literally gets up in front of a board and pitches you as a person to the selection panel.

I’m non AD, I had to fill out some stuff about it.

Not sure how much we can talk about that. Pretty sure all the security questionnaires are confidential.
I'd go with your gut and not talk about that to anyone other than your investigator.

AD is a little different because most of us already have a clearance, whether or not it is necessarily enough for the job we're eventually going for, it's good enough to submit a package, civilian applicants are, it seems if your example is anything to go by, able to go through that process before selecting, so in the case that someone does go through that, my only advice is honesty to a fault. Like people have said, if they're asking, they probably know the answer.

Average Monke

A primate with internet access
Regarding the note about making it clear what you have done to improve your packet (for prior applicants), how exactly should that be noted? Should I just write a couple paragraphs (i.e. improved ASTB scores, flight experience, new job) and submit that as a separate document or does that go in the motivational statement?

I haven’t gotten an answer from my recuiter who has been non responsive for the last few weeks.

Regarding the note about making it clear what you have done to improve your packet (for prior applicants), how exactly should that be noted? Should I just write a couple paragraphs (i.e. improved ASTB scores, flight experience, new job) and submit that as a separate document or does that go in the motivational statement?

I haven’t gotten an answer from my recuiter who has been non responsive for the last few weeks.
My recruiter made me write up a whole “reconsideration” letter explaining what improvements were on my package and why I believe I’m a better applicant this time around. He said it could be added to the motivational statement or just a whole new one

Average Monke

A primate with internet access
My recruiter made me write up a whole “reconsideration” letter explaining what improvements were on my package and why I believe I’m a better applicant this time around. He said it could be added to the motivational statement or just a whole new one
Thanks for the response! If you don’t mind me asking, what things did you include and how long was the letter?