• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

23MAY2022 SNA/SNFO BOARD

So with all the cancellation talk, I've got a question. The problem as I understand it, is that they have x number of spots available at OCS for SNA, all of which have been taken by previous boards due to either getting pushed back from original dates, selecting too many people, etc. So FY22 and now FY23 basically have no spots left. We're going into 2022 now, and it seems odd to hold a board in 2022 for an OCS date that's anywhere between one to two years out. So at what point does someone go, "hey, lets cancel the may, august, and maybe even november boards this year so that we can catch up and start having a more reasonable turn around time between board dates and OCS dates."
If FY23 slots are truly all taken, and say, the next board is held in August, that's still at least a year between a pro-recY and getting sent to OCS for a FY24 spot.
Am I understanding this right? Would they cancel more than just the may board to try and catch up?
I don't think FY 23 ocs dates are taken up. Looking at the Nov board, a lot of sna pro rec y are leaving for ocs in Oct and Nov 2022. Other ones just say fy23 but I'd assume that means early 2023. Meaning there are ocs spots open for around Feb-sept fy23. If they cancel may, then it seems the August board y's would be leaving in Feb-Sept for ocs.

Dboom85

Banned
I've heard from my friend in NIFE atm that people drop their OCS dates all the time for later dates for all sorts of reasons

exNavyOffRec

So with all the cancellation talk, I've got a question. The problem as I understand it, is that they have x number of spots available at OCS for SNA, all of which have been taken by previous boards due to either getting pushed back from original dates, selecting too many people, etc. So FY22 and now FY23 basically have no spots left. We're going into 2022 now, and it seems odd to hold a board in 2022 for an OCS date that's anywhere between one to two years out. So at what point does someone go, "hey, lets cancel the may, august, and maybe even november boards this year so that we can catch up and start having a more reasonable turn around time between board dates and OCS dates."
If FY23 slots are truly all taken, and say, the next board is held in August, that's still at least a year between a pro-recY and getting sent to OCS for a FY24 spot.
Am I understanding this right? Would they cancel more than just the may board to try and catch up?
I don't think FY 23 ocs dates are taken up. Looking at the Nov board, a lot of sna pro rec y are leaving for ocs in Oct and Nov 2022. Other ones just say fy23 but I'd assume that means early 2023. Meaning there are ocs spots open for around Feb-sept fy23. If they cancel may, then it seems the August board y's would be leaving in Feb-Sept for ocs.

When it comes to OCS it is by commission date, so FY 22 OCS starts July 2021 to Sept 30 2022, FY 23 July 2022-Sept 2023, etc..... NRC is supposed to fill only a certain number of spots for the next FY until the hard goals come out, hard goals for FY 23 should come out in Dec 2022 give or take a few months, that means true FY 23 goals are up in the air, that means they go off of current goals, current goal (FY 22) was 280 something, so far they have put about 260 into FY 23 when you add up those pushed from FY 22 into FY 23 and then add in the most recent board.

In FY 22 the majority of SNA's were sent to OCS prior to Dec so the fact that most of the recent selects and pushes were put in OCS dates from July to November doesn't really mean anything, OCS classes are not balanced based on designator.

Fib

Yeah we need the May board. I can not imagine how many people are going to want to be NAVY FIGHTER PILOTS after the movie comes out May 27th. LOL

smpl_dude

Joke's on you guys. I attribute 100% of my desire to be a NAVY FIGHTER PILOT to Top Gun. Just the trailer for the second one got me ready to go. I wrote about it in my motivational statement. I told them that Top Gun was my favorite movie of all time and that if they didn't accept me, they'd be missing out on the only guy who could've recovered from Maverick and Goose's fabled flat spin. Don't wait until 2023, or even may 27th. We're already here....

FloridaDad

When it comes to OCS it is by commission date, so FY 22 OCS starts July 2021 to Sept 30 2022, FY 23 July 2022-Sept 2023, etc..... NRC is supposed to fill only a certain number of spots for the next FY until the hard goals come out, hard goals for FY 23 should come out in Dec 2022 give or take a few months, that means true FY 23 goals are up in the air, that means they go off of current goals, current goal (FY 22) was 280 something, so far they have put about 260 into FY 23 when you add up those pushed from FY 22 into FY 23 and then add in the most recent board.

In FY 22 the majority of SNA's were sent to OCS prior to Dec so the fact that most of the recent selects and pushes were put in OCS dates from July to November doesn't really mean anything, OCS classes are not balanced based on designator.
oof these numbers are terrifying. Congrats guys! There are 20 spots left for all of us to fight over!

I'm going to hope and pray that this isn't the case... I'm too old to wait this out for a couple more years.

smpl_dude

oof these numbers are terrifying. Congrats guys! There are 20 spots left for all of us to fight over!

I'm going to hope and pray that this isn't the case... I'm too old to wait this out for a couple more years.
Hopefully they just keep kicking the can down the road and overselect on our board as well

FloridaDad

Hopefully they just keep kicking the can down the road and overselect on our board as well
This is what I'm hoping so badly for. And also why I'm retaking my ASTB because there's no way whatsoever that a 6 PFAR is going to cut it. I need to get that up to an 8!

My recruiter commented to me that part of the delay with OCS dates is being caused by some renovations in Pensacola that have gone way over schedule and delayed SNAs attending NIFE.

smpl_dude

This is what I'm hoping so badly for. And also why I'm retaking my ASTB because there's no way whatsoever that a 6 PFAR is going to cut it. I need to get that up to an 8!

My recruiter commented to me that part of the delay with OCS dates is being caused by some renovations in Pensacola that have gone way over schedule and delayed SNAs attending NIFE.
Me too man, me too. And from your scores, it honestly looks like all your studying really paid off, because all the parts that studying can really help you on, you crushed. It's just the parts that you can't really study for that got you. The PBM section is tricky. But now you know what you're working with, so I bet your next attempt will be awesome.

FloridaDad

Me too man, me too. And from your scores, it honestly looks like all your studying really paid off, because all the parts that studying can really help you on, you crushed. It's just the parts that you can't really study for that got you. The PBM section is tricky. But now you know what you're working with, so I bet your next attempt will be awesome.
I missed like 5 questions on the UAV section and I know that tanked my PFAR. I was consistently getting 20/20 with an average of 1.3 seconds in my practice rounds on the iPhone app so I decided to not use the paper compass trick and go for max score. Obviously that backfired majorly as the actual test was just different enough to mess me up. I'm brushing up on the math concepts that I got stumped on, and I'm going to use the paper compass next time and I've increased the difficulty level on the HOSAT sim on the forums here. I'm honestly really confident that I can jump to all 8s with those adjustments and I've had several people say using the paper compass jumped them a full 1 or 2 points on it's own.

I just hope that at 31 (at the time of the board) and with a 2.5 GPA that will be enough with how few pilot slots appear to be open. It would break my heart to work that hard and do that well just to be shut out due to applying at the wrong time and being too old to try again when things clear up :/

Dboom85

Banned
Joke's on you guys. I attribute 100% of my desire to be a NAVY FIGHTER PILOT to Top Gun. Just the trailer for the second one got me ready to go. I wrote about it in my motivational statement. I told them that Top Gun was my favorite movie of all time and that if they didn't accept me, they'd be missing out on the only guy who could've recovered from Maverick and Goose's fabled flat spin. Don't wait until 2023, or even may 27th. We're already here....
I really started this journey 3 years ago when my buddy dropped out of the engineering transfer program At our community college to become a helicopter pilot (not for the military). I didn’t think it would take that long to join so I didn’t contact a recruiter until a year and a half ago.