• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

24MAY2021 Pilot/NFO Board

Ruvo

Unless you're running up against an age deadline, I see no reason not to wait and try to get medically qualified for SNA, if that's an option. NFO and SWO boards aren't going away, so worst case you wait to get your hearing checked out again and you're still DQed for SNA. Then you might have to wait an extra six months to apply to an NFO/SWO board. But if SNA is something you really want, I see that as a fair trade.

luckynumbr27

Hey everyone,

just got off with my OR with some terrible news. I’m physically DQed for SNA due to a slight conductive hearing loss. However he said I still qualify for NFO and SWO. I have another appointment with my audiologist on March 31st and she mentioned that my hearing loss could be fixed. I don’t know whether I should just submit my application for NFO and SWO now for this board to prevent my application from getting pushed back, like what happened to a lot of people in the January board. Or if should I wait it out and see if my hearing improves on March 31 and risk getting my application pushed back with a hope for the SNA slot still. Very torn on what I should do. I know the deadline for this board is mid April so I’m kind of cutting it close.
I agree with Ruvo, if you want to fly, hold out for it. Especially if the organization that administered the test that the navy used to deem you DQ’d was MEPS. Unless you really need the job now and want to commission immediately, you can fight that kind of stuff and build a case from private doctors if you believe you’re hearing is actually better. Heck, even if your OR can get you redo at meps, just put those foamy ear plugs in for three days straight and take the test again. That’s what we did when I was in the Navy and anyone failed their yearly hearing test. Worked every time.

GodSpeed1997

I agree with Ruvo, if you want to fly, hold out for it. Especially if the organization that administered the test that the navy used to deem you DQ’d was MEPS. Unless you really need the job now and want to commission immediately, you can fight that kind of stuff and build a case from private doctors if you believe you’re hearing is actually better. Heck, even if your OR can get you redo at meps, just put those foamy ear plugs in for three days straight and take the test again. That’s what we did when I was in the Navy and anyone failed their yearly hearing test. Worked every time.
Did the hearing test twice at MEPS and failed both times so my OR told me to go see an audiologist. They said that I have conductive hearing loss in my right ear but it’s something that can usually be fixed with surgery or medications. Currently on steroids now to see if it helps and I have an audiogram scheduled again on March 31st. If it’s better then I’m good to go but it’s not they’re going to look into surgery or something else. I just want to be in aviation in the Navy so I would settle for NFO but in my ASTB I scored higher on PFAR and got an 8 so I thought I would have a higher chance if I applied pilot.
Whatever the case is, I just told my OR to submit my package for NFO and if I’m denied and my hearing is better in a few weeks or maybe a month I can submit my package again for the pilot slot next board which is august I believe.

BDavis11

Contributor
I didn’t get my Medical back in time to submit for the January board so I’m finishing up to make this board. Applying for SNA/NFO.
Stats:Active Duty (AD2) for 7 years and counting
ASTB: 56 6/6/6 (2nd Attempt)
Degree: B.A. Criminal Justice. Starting a Masters in sports admin
GPA: 2.8
Flight Experience: None
Waivers: None
Interviews with Pilot/NFO's: Next week
Rec Letters:O-4 and CWO3 (both active)

villo0692

I didn’t get my Medical back in time to submit for the January board so I’m finishing up to make this board. Applying for SNA/NFO.
Stats:Active Duty (AD2) for 7 years and counting
ASTB: 56 6/6/6 (2nd Attempt)
Degree: B.A. Criminal Justice. Starting a Masters in sports admin
GPA: 2.8
Flight Experience: None
Waivers: None
Interviews with Pilot/NFO's: Next week
Rec Letters:O-4 and CWO3 (both active)
welcome to the danger zone.....nice, a mech, what squadron are you in?

j.marlow24

Applying for SNA (Third Time)
ASTB 55 7/8/7
Degree: Professional Flight
GPA: 3.69
Flight Experience: MEI, CFI, CFII around 700-750 Hours
LOR's: 3 From Navy pilots, Two O-5s (One active and one retired) and One 0-4 (retired),
1 from Airforce O-5 (retired),
1 from the Department head.

thebullet914

Contributor
Applying for SNA (Third Time)
ASTB 55 7/8/7
Degree: Professional Flight
GPA: 3.69
Flight Experience: MEI, CFI, CFII around 700-750 Hours
LOR's: 3 From Navy pilots, Two O-5s (One active and one retired) and One 0-4 (retired),
1 from Airforce O-5 (retired),
1 from the Department head.
What happened the first 2 times you applied? We’re you pushed back or non-selected?

GodSpeed1997

someone should start an excel sheet or google doc where we can all put our stats in so we can see how we stack for this board

someone should start an excel sheet or google doc where we can all put our stats in so we can see how we stack for this board
Here ya go