• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

25JAN21 PILOT/NFO BOARD

Mouselovr

Contributor
Sad day. I have great potential of missing this board and having to wait until the next one. I am currently waiting on Nami to approve a waiver (didn't know a waiver was even submitted) for something I already had a waiver for when I joined the Navy in 2013. We all know how these waivers can take up to 6 months. Already has been a month. Since I am already enlisted, my POC won't setup my endorsements without a complete package. Hoping for the best but preparing for the worst.
I didn't think we got a NAMI physical/approval until we got to OCS. Could someone clarify? I'm coming from the civilian side not enlisted.

Went to MEPS earlier this week. Was cleared with no waiver, 20:20 vision, passed depth test and hearing...etc. Waiting for the final confirmation, but I thought the MEPS physical was all we needed to submit to the SNA/NFO boards.

Last edited:

KaleDaSquid

AW Deity and aspiring Aviator
Contributor
I agree. rumors spread like wildfire in the military, even within the same community that it is about. The ship I used to be on was months away from being decommissioned and we were to be putting in new dream sheets shortly, according to everyone on the ship....That was 9 years ago and its still out there. Until there is official word, Dont worry about it, even if the OR is telling you something like that. Mine still believes there are rolling immediate selection boards

Just got off the phone with my recruiter less than 15 minutes ago and he was in a planning committee meaning this morning. He told me that this board has a "green selection board" that they were told to push NFO applicants for SNA if applicable. He might have been pulling my chain, but I doubt it. He called to tell me he was very confident with my application. Some of these guys spend way too much time on WebMD.

apare351

if you don't mind me asking, what happened the first time?
My first time applying my scores where 52 5/6/5
My first choice has always been NFO and me and my recruiter where mistaken on the minimum score needed in the FOFAR, we thought it was 5 but it is 6 so I was only put in for SNA which those scores aren’t very competitive so I didn’t get chosen for that.

I’ve since retaken the test and brought my scores up.

johann802

I live in Portland, ME- right off Warren Ave. I had to go to Boston to find a recruiter... there's one in Portland though?

Yeah right across from the Cabela's. Tiny office in a strip mall but the ENS in there is really squared away.

Edit: Technically in Scarborough but close enough

villo0692

I finally got my MEPS appointment for this Thursday. I have done it before, 8 years ago when I enlisted, but in any case, any advice for the process when it comes to officers?

KaleDaSquid

Contributor
I finally got my MEPS appointment for this Thursday. I have done it before, 8 years ago when I enlisted, but in any case, any advice for the process when it comes to officers?

It is no different in terms of process. When I went, defiantly got treated different in terms of attitude. They had a lot more dialogue with me, asked more questions school, work, etc... Do not be a scumbag. Other officer candidate when I was there acted all macho (Marine Corp) and they ate his lunch. Took 10x longer processing him.

Revitalized

Not sure how it works at your local MEPS, but the one in Baltimore usually pushes prior service folks to the front of the line for everything. So you should be in and out quickly, especially if you drive yourself. All I will say is make sure you speak up if you feel like something doesn't seem right during any part of the physical.

When I went last week, I was seeing two sets of letters on each line when using the machine for visual acuity. At first, I tried my best to do it without saying something. Then she started saying that I was getting too many incorrect and that my eyes might be bad. I might be pushing 30, but Ive never had a problem with my eyes. I told her what I was seeing, and she looked in there and said "oh yeah, that's a problem". Insert [big sigh of relief]. Turns out I still have 20/15 in both eyes.

Metromedic

Contributor
Just got off the phone with my recruiter less than 15 minutes ago and he was in a planning committee meaning this morning. He told me that this board has a "green selection board" that they were told to push NFO applicants for SNA if applicable. He might have been pulling my chain, but I doubt it. He called to tell me he was very confident with my application. Some of these guys spend way too much time on WebMD.

Just got off the phone with my officer recruiter. He was informed by NC1 in San Diego that they are still accepting pilot slots, but that they're completely "backed up" and that some recruits aren't even shipping until September 2021. Those who are selected for a pilot slot this board may not be shipped until 2022.

villo0692

Just got off the phone with my officer recruiter. He was informed by NC1 in San Diego that they are still accepting pilot slots, but that they're completely "backed up" and that some recruits aren't even shipping until September 2021. Those who are selected for a pilot slot this board may not be shipped until 2022.
well, then fingers crossed we do get selected this time around :)

Metromedic

Contributor
well, then fingers crossed we do get selected this time around :)

As much as I want to do SNO, I think I'm just gonna go SNFO and go the pilot route down the road. I've read mixed reviews, but the trend is that its potentially easier once your in the service to transfer over. Maybe at the end of your contract? I dunno. With as tight as this is going to be, it just doesnt seem feasible. I'll still throw an app in, but I'll take SNFO at this point. I'm not super competitive with GPA or degree. The only thing running for me is an OAR of 57 and an ASTB of 6/8/7.

KaleDaSquid

Contributor

Now I can buy that. I just know how manning works and not saying it is impossible that they would just halt all applications. Just highly unlikely. Plus, there has been a supply shortage in the Navy prior to COVID. Doubt they have sorted that in less than one FY.

Metromedic

Contributor
Doubt they have sorted that in less than one FY.

With the furlough of pilots and hiring freezes by all airliners, you're probably going to see a retention of pilots in the Navy at this point as they know full well that there are no jobs for them on the outside. Maybe during the beginning of COVID, but now that were 8 months into it, I could reasonably see pilots staying in.

villo0692

I mean if you're dead set on being a pilot, I'd just wait man, Idk if I'd go NFO with the sole intention of transferring over, I don't think is that easy. If For some reason I don't get pilot but I do get NFO, I'll welcome it, either path has its own terms of badassery, I'm sure NFOs love what they do as well. Besides, and I am speaking for myself now, I want to be able to command one day, and advancement seems to be just as good in both routes, so there's that. Regardless of what you pick, if you're smart and further your education once you're in, once you get out, if that's what yo want, you'll be pretty much set, idk I try to think big picture here, don't stress too much about it, or you'll lose your mind

Metromedic

Contributor
I mean if you're dead set on being a pilot, I'd just wait man, Idk if I'd go NFO with the sole intention of transferring over, I don't think is that easy. If For some reason I don't get pilot but I do get NFO, I'll welcome it, either path has its own terms of badassery, I'm sure NFOs love what they do as well. Besides, and I am speaking for myself now, I want to be able to command one day, and advancement seems to be just as good in both routes, so there's that. Regardless of what you pick, if you're smart and further your education once you're in, once you get out, if that's what yo want, you'll be pretty much set, idk I try to think big picture here, don't stress too much about it, or you'll lose your mind

I do enjoy being a Pilot in my personal time, but its not like the Navy doesn't have resources to support that while your in. From what I've seen and discussed, the Navy is extremely pro education and I cant see why they wouldn't help out in that field, especially with the GI bill.