• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

25JAN21 PILOT/NFO BOARD

exNavyOffRec

Now I can buy that. I just know how manning works and not saying it is impossible that they would just halt all applications. Just highly unlikely. Plus, there has been a supply shortage in the Navy prior to COVID. Doubt they have sorted that in less than one FY.
The never has been a shortage of pilots going into the USN, it is a retention problem, recruiters have been spewing that lie for at least 15 years now.

Metromedic

Contributor
Interesting... I can see your point. I think that is the military in general.

There is little incentive to pilots. Why stay in when you can pull 100k at Delta? Today, good luck with the furloughs. Its gonna be some time before the aviation sector recovers.

The never has been a shortage of pilots going into the USN, it is a retention problem, recruiters have been spewing that lie for at least 15 years now.
I have a buddy who's AD at the moment and applying for SNA as well, he said that the recruiter at the recruiting office he took the test at told him that the Navy is freezing all pilot applications after this quarter for an extended period of time, does that sound like something they would do or have done in the past? He didn't inquire more info since he's on his last try anyway but this would effect me if I don't make this upcoming board, thanks.

DylDozer

SNA PROREC-Y
Contributor
Yeah right across from the Cabela's. Tiny office in a strip mall but the ENS in there is really squared away.

Edit: Technically in Scarborough but close enough

Oh that's crazy, I used to work on Route 1 across Haigis (spelling?). Are you living in Portland now and applying for SNA?

exNavyOffRec

I have a buddy who's AD at the moment and applying for SNA as well, he said that the recruiter at the recruiting office he took the test at told him that the Navy is freezing all pilot applications after this quarter for an extended period of time, does that sound like something they would do or have done in the past? He didn't inquire more info since he's on his last try anyway but this would effect me if I don't make this upcoming board, thanks.
until NRC puts out an official notification don't worry about rumors.

Ghost SWO

Contributor
As much as I want to do SNO, I think I'm just gonna go SNFO and go the pilot route down the road. I've read mixed reviews, but the trend is that its potentially easier once your in the service to transfer over. Maybe at the end of your contract? I dunno. With as tight as this is going to be, it just doesnt seem feasible. I'll still throw an app in, but I'll take SNFO at this point. I'm not super competitive with GPA or degree. The only thing running for me is an OAR of 57 and an ASTB of 6/8/7.
I would second the cautionary words from @villo0692

Easier to transfer? No.

If you take NFO now, you need to go into the USN with the understanding that you will most likely never be able to switch back to being a pilot. I'm pretty sure I read recently on this website that there were only a handful of NFO's able to apply to Naval Aviator, and when I say handful, I mean less than 5 per year. Your scores are better for pilot than they are NFO, so if you want to be a pilot you might as well try for it now. Don't settle and regret your decision when you realize switching later is almost impossible.

Both SNA and NFO offer good careers, but don't pick one as an opportunity to apply to the other.

Metromedic

Contributor
I would second the cautionary words from @villo0692

Easier to transfer? No.

If you take NFO now, you need to go into the USN with the understanding that you will most likely never be able to switch back to being a pilot. I'm pretty sure I read recently on this website that there were only a handful of NFO's able to apply to Naval Aviator, and when I say handful, I mean less than 5 per year. Your scores are better for pilot than they are NFO, so if you want to be a pilot you might as well try for it now. Don't settle and regret your decision when you realize switching later is almost impossible.

Both SNA and NFO offer good careers, but don't pick one as an opportunity to apply to the other.

I’m applying for both. I was just gonna take whichever hit though.

villo0692

finally went to MEPS today, got out of there very quickly, everything went pretty well, no questions asked, nothing wrong. How long does it usually take to get that letter from them giving the green light to proceed? in your guys' experience of course

Metromedic

Contributor
finally went to MEPS today, got out of there very quickly, everything went pretty well, no questions asked, nothing wrong. How long does it usually take to get that letter from them giving the green light to proceed? in your guys' experience of course
My file took less than a week. Went in on Wednesday and Monday my chief picked up my completed file.

exNavyOffRec

depending on workload they can take up to 5 working days, then it will be uploaded for N3M to review and that can take 1 day or many days

dschiffel

how long did it take for you to get your MEPS appointment after submitting all the medical docs and such?

KaleDaSquid

AW Deity and aspiring Aviator
Contributor
how long did it take for you to get your MEPS appointment after submitting all the medical docs and such?

My recruiter told me they make blocks in two week periods. So one week to get app completed. Waited two and went to MEPs.

villo0692

exactly three weeks after submitting my 2807 I set up my app.....but my recruiter did tell me that this was a bit longer than usual