• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

25JAN21 PILOT/NFO BOARD

Snack Attack

Snack Attack
Contributor
Ooooo where to begin. So I kept a log of all the people I talked to. Talked to two Tsgt's who told me to pound sand until I get my PPL. Then talked to a Msgt who listened to my story. Talked to her C/O some 2nd Lt UPT dropout. This was right when we went into COVID lockdown so was on a zoom call. The Msgt explained everything we talked about and things seemed to be going well. Then the 2nd Lt asked "why didn't you just take another job in ROTC?". I explained how being a pilot was my dream and how my ROTC commander and his XO (O6,O5) told me to never give up on my dreams. The Msgt told me well said, blah blah. There was and odd pause and the O1 was scowling. She went into this rant about being an officer first and a rate second (understood to an extent). I listened to the rant until she said as a direct quote "you sound like you have characteristics of toxic male-pilot-wannabe syndrome." When on to say that the AF has too many with those leadership traits already..."

I was really disappointed with how unprofessional she acted during the interview. I informed her that I had recorded this meeting and thanked them for their time. I was so turned off by the AF after that and stayed away from the military for some time and finished my masters. Navy OR reached out to me and the rest is history.

I didn't go as far as you did but I did call and visit two separate AF Offices in my town and both sounded like I'd be a waste of time to work with since Pilot slots were competitive. They were professional about it though but they broke it down and said most of their Pilots come from the academy and that applying as a civilian especially without a STEM degree would be nearly impossible.